The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Competition Edge...

Well...here we go! Time to get my chit in one sock for our first solo comp. I'm lookin' for an edge...something that will stand out amongst the pack. Up till now I've stuck with the commercial rubs and sauces or those out of the popular BBQ books.

I'm afraid if I deviate too much from the "norm"...it'll freak out the judges taste buds... I know that what I've been cookin' in my back yard for friends and family is a lot different than comp cookin' for that "one bite" burst of flavor.

I don't expect to receive any trade secrets...but a little nudge in the right direction would be nice. Thanks Ron for the tip..."mum"...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

if your friends and family like what you are cooking why are you changing for an contest

KISS - keep it simpel stuipid

use that for your base (what you are cooking for frends)

do two or three contest and see the what happens

then after that change only one thng for two or three contest and see what happens

KEEP NOTES KEEP NOTES

this will get the ship in the right direction

it will take time

york
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Sticks-n-chicks
Full Fledged Farker

Default Agreed

Cook what you cook, enjoy what you cook, and most important share the excitement. All else doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Warm Smoke, Blue Skies...Best of days | Yoder 640 | FEC-100 | ABS Qube | 3 UDC's | WSM | KCBS CBJ
Sticks-n-chicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

they like it sweet, I tried exotic sauces and went back to the basics and it made a he!! of a difference.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

OK, here's a tip:

When making injections and marinades, be aware that they usually won't taste particularly good if when you sample them before cooking. It takes very bold flavors to leave an impression after many hours of smoking; practically all of it will go up the smokestack or into the drip pan. The little bit that stays behind needs to be potent enough to do the job, so a good marinade/injection typically tastes much too strong out of the mixing bowl.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Rhapsody
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks-n-chicks View Post
Cook what you cook, enjoy what you cook, and most important share the excitement. All else doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

very well said. If you are passionate about what you are doing, just like in anything, it will show. You can just tell when someone put alot of time and effort into their que. Even if it isn't particularly earth shattering or even good, you can just tell. One thing I would add is don't get caught up in your neighbors, their cookers, and what they are doing. I will often show up at a competition, having prepared up to months in advance, and it can get overwhelming when a guy pulls up with a HUGE rig, all this professional looking stuff and a swagger to end all swaggers. Don't buy into it. The person you are competing against most is yourself. If you put out the best possible JD Mcgee BBQ, you'll walk away with something. Strive for that, not to beat or hang with anyone else. Good luck.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
JD McGee

Great advice all...thank you! Guess I'll just dance with the lady I brought with me. I've always been an "all natural" kind of guy...in my rubs, spices, sauces, etc. I try not to get caught up in the latest and greatest this, that, or the other. I always seem to return to the classics.

As far as seeking an "edge" is concerned I'm looking for that little extra "something" that will set my food apart from the pack. My own "signature"...if you will. Perhaps it will just come with time and experience, a tip or trick from one of the Brethren, or not at all...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
swamprb

Mr. Natural

Just go with what you know. Enter the Ribeye cookoff, appetizers and dessert categories as well, and just have fun! I'm gonna need you focused next season!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com

Last edited by swamprb; 08-13-2008 at 12:35 AM..
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #9
Black Cat BBQ
On the road to being a farker

commercial rubs and sauces?? I wouldnt even know where to begin with that. Have always made my own, even make my own chili powders for the rubs. Dried garlic, onions, etc. I did dumb down my homemade sauce with AJ and honey so I could glaze instead of sauce. I expected to finish dead last but ended up OK. Stay true to your self and your Q!
Black Cat BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #10
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Great advice all...thank you! Guess I'll just dance with the lady I brought with me. I've always been an "all natural" kind of guy...in my rubs, spices, sauces, etc. I try not to get caught up in the latest and greatest this, that, or the other. I always seem to return to the classics.

As far as seeking an "edge" is concerned I'm looking for that little extra "something" that will set my food apart from the pack. My own "signature"...if you will. Perhaps it will just come with time and experience, a tip or trick from one of the Brethren, or not at all...
Like most have said stick with what you know and like....perhaps just kick it up a notch and add a bit more of what you already use. Most important...remember to have fun!!! Best of luck to you and your wife!!

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

What everybody else said plus this little tip.
Stay focused on your product, times,temps,sauces,rubs,turn-ins.... Don't let the other teams pull ya off your game.
And always have fun.
WSM
Whole Hog Smoker
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Taste your food before you put it in the box. Sometimes a little salt goes a long way.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #13
butts
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
What, in your opinion, do you think sets apart the consistantly top winning teams (such as Jack's Old South, Chris Lilly, Mad Mamma, Dr BBQ!, etc.) from the rest of the pack? I suppose years of experience would be a big one...Thanks for all of your input this week and thanks Chris for arranging this!
Quote:
Hi Erich,
There's no doubt that the folks you mentioned have a great natural ability to cook, and taste food. But I really think it's all the little details that sets these cooks apart. They don't ever say "That'll be good enough". They go the extra mile in every little detail. I know a guy that drives 45 minutes each way to get the best parsley.
New cooks are all looking for the secret ingredient. There is none. Hard work and an insane competitive spirit are what those folks have.
I took this to heart from the Virtual Bullet forum (this is a question from someone from the forum and the answer is from DR. BBQ). My scores have improved since putting more effort into the details...all the detials.
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #14
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

1. Focus
2. don't change anything at a contest. stick to the game plan
3. are you there to do well, or are you there to party ?
4. salt if needed
5. Focus
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #15
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Taste your food before you put it in the box. Sometimes a little salt goes a long way.
Great tip! Also, when you practice, put your food into a box and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes and then taste it. That will be much closer to what the judges will taste than when you taste it fresh out of the cooker.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote