The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
pigpen269
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Small Cater Job Question

Someone at work asked if i would supply the meat for a wedding rehersal dinner. Around 25 people or so. I suggested a pan of Brisket and a pan of Pulled pork. I told her 150 dollar. I will have about 40 to 50 dollars in meat +rub+wood and charcoal+2 foil pans. I will also be taking her the meat on the day of the event. It's only a couple miles from the house. Does this sound about right? What would you do?
Blue UDS (UBD)
Homemade 18"/36" Grillzilla
Lang 60, (RIP)
Home Built Trailer (500gallon Oil drum).(RIP)
pigpen269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
The Wooden Pig
Got Wood.

It's higher than I would go in my area but honestly I don't think you're to far out of line.
At our restaurant I charge $9.00/# for pulled meats (pork or chicken) and $10.95/# for sliced Beef Brisket. This is what we charge for Bulk meat in pans where the customer picks it up.
If you figure 1/3 of a pound person youre only talking about 8.33#'s (this is what I would suggest for sandwiches. However, if they want more of a platter portion I would figure 1/2#/person or 12.5#'s of meat.
Hope that helps a little.
Tim

Unread 08-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
SoEzzy
Full Fledged Farker

Brisket and pulled pork for 25, you'll need about 17 lbs pork and 14 lbs of brisket to provide 8 1/3 lbs of each cooked.

Current prices around here are $1.78 and $1.64 and the meat totals are $31.89 and $24.49 so you $50.00 estimate is still a little low but not far off.

If I was doing this as a gig I'd be looking for $125.42 and $98.54 to pay 300% profit so the total cost to the client would be $233.96, you'll be making about 175% instead.

Unread 08-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

You can easily get $10 a person with no sides. Its hard when you have smaller jobs because you have to have a minimum worth. It will be hard to go back on your price now but for the future, it's not worth doing unless you are making a nice profit. Just think how many hours you have to think about the food cooking? Thats labor time whether it be physical or mental!!
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Default catering

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
You can easily get $10 a person with no sides. Its hard when you have smaller jobs because you have to have a minimum worth. It will be hard to go back on your price now but for the future, it's not worth doing unless you are making a nice profit. just think how many hours you have to think about the food cooking? Thats labor time whether it be physical or mental!!

wsdverver
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

That is just about what I would charge.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
pigpen269
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks all. I think i'm right on track doing this for someone I know. If they were to buy it from a local restaurant it would be around 12LB. I'm doing it for around 7.50LB. If this ever comes up again I think I would get a little closer to the 12LB mark. They would still be saving because they wouldn't be paying sales tax. If I did it for 10LB I could still make some killer side money. Plus I get to practice for free.
Blue UDS (UBD)
Homemade 18"/36" Grillzilla
Lang 60, (RIP)
Home Built Trailer (500gallon Oil drum).(RIP)
pigpen269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds about right on to me. For small things like that, I charge by the pound for cooked meat. Usually $10.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote