The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default RS Jones (near Wantaugh)

RS Jones Merriuk

I was in WantaUgh yesterday and decided to stop by RS Jones for some take-out. I had heard about them, but had never been in. They had a sort of upscale honky-tonk motif happening. Faux cow hide table clothes, lots of western regalia, etc.

They have an eclectic menu with mostly southwestern dishes. Their BBQ options are limited, but they do have a daily BBQ special. The special I got was pulled pork. I had a choice of sides, so I picked up some jalapeno cheese grits. I also ordered a cup of chili.

The order was to go, and I had a half hour drive before I got home. The food was still hot (an understatement) when I got there.

The food was not cheap. At all. A pulled pork platter with one side was $18.50. On the other side, the order was plentiful. They give you LOTS of food.

Let’s start with the bad. The grits were nasty. Unfortunately, I have never had grits before. I have no idea if I don’t like grits or if I don’t like THOSE grits.

Moving up to decent, the salsa that came with the order was pretty good, but a little dry and could have used a kick. Maybe more lime juice and jalapeno. The salsa had black beans, which was a nice twist.

Also in the decent range was the chili. It was very meaty and the meat had physical integrity (unlike chili where the meat has disintegrated). Again, it could have used both more flavor and heat.

The pulled pork was surprisingly good. It had a smoky flavor and it was in nice ‘chunks’ (not shredded and uniform, which often indicates Sysco). I didn’t get any bark, but I also didn’t get too much fat. It was too much for one sitting, so I’m going to have it for lunch.

If I have some extra bucks to spend I would go back again.

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

It's in Merrick..

My wife and I went here the first week we moved to Merrick about four years ago. I had the brisket (did not claim to be BBQ - just oven roasted) and my wife had the pork chop. They were two of the most flavorless pieces of meat I ever ate. What a rip off and awful meal. I wouldn't eat there again. Overpriced and tasteless food.

NTTAWWT..... but while waiting for the waitress to serve the dinner, my wife noticed what seemed to be a very high % of same sex couples dining and drinking at the bar. I mentioned this to my new neigbor and he said he heard they often cater to gay/lesbian/transgender/cross dresser nights/happy hours.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 07-19-2008 at 02:25 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I said NEAR WantaUgh.

Huh, that's odd. The only thing that worked for me was the pulled pork, but the other stuff I felt was good enough to be the result of an off day. I would have gone again, but not after your commentary.

There were no obvious same-sex crowds there. As a matter of fact there was a birthday party going on and there were a number of libidinous middle aged women who were hitting on the guys at the bar.

There was one chick dancing by herself who seemed to be Will's type. I should have brought him. Narrow hips, hairy neck, adams apple.... hey, wait a minute....

Eric

Old 07-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

"Upscale Honky-tonk"?

So instead of a chicken wire fence in front of the band and dancers they had a PVC rail?
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Eric, have you EVEUR given any place you have ever been to a bad review?? THIS PLACE SUCKS!!!!! No off day, its always off because it SUCKS
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Eric, have you EVEUR given any place you have ever been to a bad review?? THIS PLACE SUCKS!!!!! No off day, its always off because it SUCKS
The only thing that I was positive about was the pork. Calm down tough guy. We can settle this outside if you have some sort of problem with me and my reviews.

By the way, McRib Sandwich... yummie.

Eric