喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
chibi
Full Fledged Farker

Default Judge my boxes also please.BETTER PICS NOW!!

These are my turn ins from Frisco Co 4 weeks ago. Need to see what to do different. Will tell scores later. I forgot to take the brisket pic. DUH! be brutaly honest also I can take it.
redid pics!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribs2.jpg (68.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg pork2.jpg (68.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg chix2.jpg (72.2 KB, 162 views)

Vertical insulated charcoal dropping clone.
Homemade offset.
Traeger LilTex for winter cheating.
<><

Remember when you get in the
storms of life that's when you have to learn to dance in the rain.

Last edited by chibi; 07-07-2008 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: better pics
chibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Overall, I think you need to consider adding more sauce.. They all look a bit dry. Chicken is a bit toasty. Garnish is decent for what it's worth.

Pork - 6
Ribs - 6
Chicken -5
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd say make a decision and stick with it on the garnish. Some places you have parsley and some don't. It just ain't even.

Add some sauce to your pork. No matter how good you think it is, judges are expecting sauce. And fill in the gap at the lower left corner.

The ribs would be better if you made them all face the same way and made them look like a slab that is still together. Practice on getting your cuts straighter and work with a sharper knife.

Could be the picture but the chicken looks burnt in some spots. Try putting them face down in a pan of sauce and put them back in the smoker for a few minutes to try and cover the dark spots.

Just my 2 cents

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
parrothead

Same as above, and to add, uniformity helps. Especially with those chicken thighs. They are all over the place in size.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Pictures are kind of small so your entries may be better than I can see.
With that, heres my evaluation.

Pork - I like the chunk look your going for. I like the bark you have presented. Looks a little dry. Maybe a 7.

Ribs - spend a little more time on your box. Looks a bit messy and the ribs look dry. Try to add more than 6. Fill the box. I'd give a 6 if not a 5. Try to cut your ribs from the same rack. It makes it look nicer when the pieces fit together.

Chicken - Looks burnt and dry. I'd go a 5. Also, try to keep the sizes the same. Trim them if you need to.

Maybe spray all of them with a liquid to make them a least look moist.
Hope i wasn't too harsh. Like I said, it could be the pictures.
Look forward to seeing the scores.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643

Last edited by BBQ_Mayor; 07-08-2008 at 08:00 AM..
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Pork: looks a little dry, garnish is uneven - 6

Ribs: as served I'd assume Memphis style dry ribs a little hard to tell from the picture. The garnish is really uneven front to back and the is a bit of a hole on the right side - 7

Chicken: Looks burnt - I don't care for the parsley in between the meat. THe meat looks buried in the garnish - 5
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
chibi
Full Fledged Farker

OK I did better pics. re eval please.

Homemade offset.
<><

Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok,

Ribs - I like the color and I wouldn't penalize you for not using sauce could use a spritz to make them appear moist though. I think the garnish is a little bit rough you need more parsley and I would also make a bed of lettuce underneath the ribs to raise them up. All and all I would give you a 7

Pork - Looks dry to me I do like the chunks maybe a dip in the au jou before plating or brush or spray with it to help it look moist. 6

Chicken - I am not digging it they look burnt and they are not very uniform - Sorry to say but 5.

Butts A Fire BBQ Team

NB Bandera
Webber Kettle
Backwoods Party
Pro Q Excel 20
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

What kind of a spritz would y'all use?

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Divemaster

OK, here we go... (I should warn you that I'm expecting the same treatment when I post my next set of boxes!)

Ribs - 7
I'm not a fan of both lettuce and Parsley, it makes it look rough and is very hard to keep it even all the way around the box so I would go with one or the other, not both.

The meat looks dry. If you are going Memphis, try a spray of apple juice just prior to putting them in the box. I would also go with more than 6 ribs and really try to make them all the same size so that they look like they came off the same slab. I would also go with 8 ribs just in case two end up sticking and also to give the Table Judge a chance at one. I would go with two rows of four ribs per row.

Pork - 7
Again, stick with one garnish. The garnish around the sides of the box are very uneven and tells me that you felt you were maybe running out of time.

I'm seeing some reflection off of the meat so I'm thinking that it is more juicy than it looks. I agree with Mista in that a thinned down version of sauce would be a good thing.

Chicken - 5
The garnish is better but it looks like you are trying to hide something with the parsley.

The size of each thigh is all over the place. I recommend that you trim it prior to cooking. It does look like the skin is 'over crispy' (burned). How was it cooked? Smoker or grill?

Sorry, but you asked.....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Big George's BBQ

Try to arrange the garnish so it is more uniform. Parsley is really hard to work with and very time consuming. Tro to put the chicken so that the same siz pieces are next to each other. Ideally you want all the same size- and less burnt of course. That is a lot of pork in the box may want to decrease the amount. Have the ribs all in a nice straight line.
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree with Mista.

I'd score something like:

Chicken - 5
Pork - 7
Ribs - 6

(With the usual caveats about photos vs actual box)
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Man, tough crowd. After looking at all the other scores, I must be missing something. Have the boxes on a split screen right now, maybe I am getting away from the garnish and just concentrating more on the meat appearence.

I just dont see 5 & 6's! If you are gonna garnish, I like to see lettuce and parsley and I think the ribs look great, therefore I gave it a nine, I cant see anyway to make that box better.

On the pork I gave it an eight cuz it had some yellow lettuce, yeah I know I just said judge on the meat!

The chicken looks burnt, some would say crispy, that is just personal prefference, therefore 7.

But 5 & 6's...man very tough crowd!

Really would like to hear what you got!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
chibi
Full Fledged Farker

Ok here are the scores I got

Ribs898877

chix886867

pork787677

I did not sauce the pork. Will nexttime.
Ribs have 2 coatings of sauce. Really are juicy.
Chix is burnt. But got 22th place out of 54 with it. Which is great for me. Need to work on not burning. But was the best thing I did.

Also need to learn how to better take pics. No lettuce is yellow. I know it looks like it but again I need lessons on pic taking.
Thanks for the words. NO hard feelings I need to hear what others think so I can get better.

Homemade offset.
<><