The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 07-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #31
dodgeramsst2003
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Just my two cents worth, but having worked in a pizzeria in HS I'll throw it out there anyways. Most of the toppings on the pizza, cheese included have so many preservatives in them, that nothing can grow on them. The sauce has a PH level that also doesn't allow anything to grow in it. ( this is why most pizza stores are allowed to leave it on the counter unrefrigerated). That only leaves the "fresh" vegetables and the dough. The vegetables will be ok for a day or so, and the dough is no different than the bread you buy at the store. I have seen some things take place and thought no way that is safe to eat, but nobody got sick.

Chris
- Homebuilt cold smoker, Cookshack SM008.
- 250 gal oil drum cut and waiting for me to build it
- (3) more 250 gal oil drums waiting for me to go get them.
- Custom offset in progress.
Link To The Build: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=71893
dodgeramsst2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #32
chobint
On the road to being a farker

I've heard that pizza, due to the resilience of its ingredients, is subject to less strict food laws... so sayeth the grape vine. As the previous poster has mentioned... bread does not spoil for many days (around a week) and the rest of the ingredients are laden with salt...

To be honest though... most pizza will dry out to an unacceptably low level once left out for more than one night.
chobint is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #33
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeramsst2003 View Post
Most of the toppings on the pizza, cheese included have so many preservatives in them, that nothing can grow on them.
Same goes with fast food french fries. You can still eat McDonald's french fries, unrefrigerated, a year later...

Unread 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #34
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Speculation!!!! On all points. No food is subject to lesser food laws.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #35
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
Speculation!!!! On all points. No food is subject to lesser food laws.
Thank you. Nail hit on head.

Regardless of what side you take in the whole "germs are good/bad" debate the question posed was how are pizza shops allowed to let food stand out at room temp for multiple hours.

Ingredients have nothing to do with it, either way what you are talking about is a cooked, prepared food product that is heated and then held at the temperature where bacteria growth begins, according to all our friendly local HDs.

If I'm catering and an HD inspector comes over, sees that I have two trays of pork just hanging out with no refrigeration I'm done. Doesn't matter what my excuse is: "Oh, it's only been sitting there an hour it's fine." Yeah right. Try that at your next event.

So is there a good answer? I had never thought of this before but now it seems to me to be very much the exception to the rule.

My thought now is: why go to all the trouble and cost as a vendor to hold BBQ at the required temps at all times when I can just roll in and serve day old pizza off a card table?

Unread 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #36
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

Well, I found the answer. And I guess Parrothead that some food is subject to lesser food laws. Whoda thunk?

Now, this is for New York state, but it is derived from Federal law.

Health Code
§81.09 currently specifies a range of required holding temperatures for all potentially hazardous
foods. However, there are several processed foods, including, most commonly, sushi rice,
homemade (i.e., not commercially manufactured) yogurt and garlic-infused oil, hanging poultry
in Asian establishments, cooked pizza and related baked products (calzones), for which food
service establishments have requested that the Department modify applicable Health Code
temperature holding requirements, since such temperature requirements apparently adversely
affect the palatability of such foods.

The USFDA 2001
Model Food Code includes standards and justification for “Time as a Public Health Control.” The FDA concludes that four hours holding of some ready-to-eat (“RTE”) potentially hazardous foods (“PHF”) within a specific range of ambient temperatures is sufficient in specific circumstances to prevent toxin formation and does not contribute to unacceptable bacterial growth. See, Model Food Code, 2001, Annex 3, §3-501.19.
Using time alone as a public health control means that when properly documented and
implemented, RTE PHF may be offered for sale after being held at room temperature for up to
four hours. All such foods must be properly cooked or cooled before they are held for such a
four-hour period.
Each RTE PHF item must be clearly labeled with the date and time that identify when the food is removed from safe temperatures. RTE PHF that is maintained by using time, as a public health control must be served or discarded within four hours of removal from safe temperatures. No RTE PHF that is held using time as a public health control is to be reused.

Here is the part that would apply to BBQ vendors and their limits on being able to use the Time Holding method only:
(2) Time shall not be used as a means of public health control in preparation and holding
of ready-to-eat potentially hazardous foods (i) sold by mobile food vendors; (ii) in food vending machines; (iii) at temporary street fairs operating in accordance with a permit issued pursuant to Article 88 of this Code; and (iv) in salad bars. (3) Time shall not be used as a means of public health control in preparation and holding of the following potentially hazardous foods: (i) any foods containing ground or chopped (comminuted) meats; (ii) raw foods such as meats, fish or molluscan shellfish; and (iii) opened or packaged smoked or vacuum-packed food products.