The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #16
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake
the last people at the table get whatever is left anyway, thats why the order of choosing is changed up, no?

the judges are each sampling something different anyway, the same piece of chicken isn't passed around.
Yes, each judge is getting a different piece, but unless you are able to produce perfect product for vastly different cuts (wing, thigh, breast, etc) at one time your scores will be hard to interpret when the judge who got the perfectly cooked thigh gives you 9s and the next judge who got the dry wing gives you 6s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake
I think the argument that having one that you think is very good and one that isnt is valid, because it is hard to choose. I would choose to grade the better of two entries, and score the one that I thought was better
If I'm understanding you correctly, what you are saying is that when you are presented with two types of meat in the same box and have a sample of both, you would score only the better of the two. That's nice of you to give the cook a break, but contrary to what judges are told to do. At least at the judging class I took in 2006 the instruction was to sample all types of meat in the box if possible and award scores based on all the meat presented, so if one type was off the mark it pulls the scores for that entry down.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #17
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSmoker View Post
But half the time it's seat 1

Seriously I do agree that you shouldn't judge down cause you didn't get the piece that you want.
Oh I agree, and I always judge what is presented for how good a rendition it is. My comments are based on my observations of what other judges have said. As a cook, I find judging to be an invaluable source of information on what not to do, more than what to do. My thinking is if I hear similar comments about why an entry was marked down in the judging tent at a few different contests then that is something to be avoided if possible, whether or not I personally consider it valid.

After all, in the end it's the judges I have to please, so their opinions are the only ones that matter.

Unread 06-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #18
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Yes, each judge is getting a different piece, but unless you are able to produce perfect product for vastly different cuts (wing, thigh, breast, etc) at one time your scores will be hard to interpret when the judge who got the perfectly cooked thigh gives you 9s and the next judge who got the dry wing gives you 6s.
but the judge who gets the dry thigh is going to do the same thing. My point is that if you get a wing you cannot judge it on the characteristics of a thigh, or any other part.

like you said you have to judge it based on how good of a rendition that piece of meat is, not based on how it compares to the others in the box.

I have had the odd random 4 in the middle of 8 and 9 in a rib turn in and I can assure you they were all the same type of rib.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 01:52 AM   #19
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I think we're in agreement then.

Anybody who's cooked a few shows has "enjoyed" that odd judge who can't seem to get on the same page as the rest of the table. I just hope no more than one of them is sitting at the table where my box hits!

Unread 07-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #20
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
I think we're in agreement then.
I think so.....

interesting point about scoring the 2 different cuts of meat though. What would you do in that case? Say you get both slices and pulled/chunks of a meat, one of which you think is a 9 the other you think is say a 5 how do you score that overall?

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal

Unread 07-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #21
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

You can not DQ it - but as others said, #6 will not be happy.

I have heard this arguement with chicken. most people turn in 6 thigh. Judge #6 might have an opinion he is getting what is left. I do nto htink that is right, but what do you guys think?
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #22
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paydabill View Post
Judge #6 might have an opinion he is getting what is left. I do nto htink that is right, but what do you guys think?
I think what we are saying is that Judge 6 does gets what is left unless there are more than 6 portions. It doesn't matter if it is all the same cut or not.

now for them to get PO'd about that is kind of ridiculous IMO, I turned in the box, not assign your seat. Dont knock the cooks scores, get pissed at the judge next to you that grabbed the piece you want.

Don't want the last choice in the box, get there early enough to sit in the middle of the table.

Unread 07-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #23
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

To me it really isn't a judge getting PO'd that he didn't get the piece he wanted. It is more about each judge judging the same thing. If five judges are basing their scores on a slice of brisket and a burnt end, and judge six is only basing his score on a slice, it seems to me that the table isn't uniform.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #24
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

I posted this on the thread about turning in all drums, but it really fits in here better. I turned in this box of chicken in Pine Bluff,

It got great appearance scores 989998
but the taste scores 897696
and the tenderness scores 788687
I feel really were affected by the different pieces of chicken that the different judges got.

Like I said in the other thread, I won't do that again.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin CoonAss Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #25
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I may have misread this thread. If two forms of meat means Chicken and Beef... yes, that is a DQ. Whew!!! Now that this mystery is solved... back to the discussion of cheating if you use pellets.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #26
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
6 pcs is 6 pcs. What has always bothered me is if the cook puts in both slices and chunks and I take a piece of each almost every time one is better than the other and I have to either decide the score on the good piece or the bad piece, or maybe even add them together and divide by two??????
In trainig I think they say to try each because the cook offers both and just decide the final score ( 1+1 /2).
What are your thoughts and expectations as a cook when you put both in the box and they both aren't great?
ModelMaker
As a cook, I sometimes include 2 types so that you, as a judge, select the one you are likely to enjoy more.

If you try both (and I am sure many do, I have no problem with it), I guess you would have to sort of average them out. That seemse reasonable to me: You are judging the total of what you tasted.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #27
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
To me it really isn't a judge getting PO'd that he didn't get the piece he wanted. It is more about each judge judging the same thing. If five judges are basing their scores on a slice of brisket and a burnt end, and judge six is only basing his score on a slice, it seems to me that the table isn't uniform.
Good point from that perspective, but I never even consider trying to present the same thing to each judge. I try to present something(s) that everyone will enjoy - that may require some diversity, rather than uniformity. Sometimes I feel one "cut" will do it, other times it won't.

I can see where our divergent "goals" bring about this very question. Good discussion.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #28
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
but that isnt what is supposed to happen is it? arent judges supposed to judge the piece they taste?

it shouldnt matter if one gets a slice the other a chunk, they judge that piece they pull based on its own merits/shortcomings

Unread 07-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #29
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

You've got to come up with some kind of average then between the two.

The bottom line is I never put anything in the box that I think might hurt me. For example if my brisket slices are spot on but I'm not thrilled with the burnt ends I leave them out. I'd rather take my chances of a rogue judge marking me down for not having them than risk having my scores lowered because the burnt ends weren't perfect.

Unread 07-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #30
QDoc
Full Fledged Farker

Well you should not be dq'd. There are presumably 6 separated and identifiable (visable) portions; 3 thighs, a half breast, presumably sliced into 5 portions, and 2 drums. However, it presents a delimma for the judges. You have offered 5 portions of dark meat and 5 portions of white meat. How are the judges to choose and what will their scores tell you if the dark is better than the white. And what will happen if the first 5 judges take one of each thinking that is what they are supposed to do?
Contrary to popular opinion regarding offering more than six portions or filling the box up, it would be less confusing if KCBS required the submission of " 6 seperated and identifiable ( visable) portions only. In my opinion submitting a pile of pulled pork, or " fanned slices", or sliced and re-assembled breasts or ribs is a violation of this rule which is ignored by cooks, judges, and reps.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote