La Caja China Pron

Leeper

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK - I missed getting photos up from the first round of the box but round two brings us all the money shots.

Wife's birthday party on the hottest day of the year and she asks for a pig and various other grilled meats.

Had my pork guy get me a 65lb Berkshire hog, injected and rubbed down the night before with Mojo.

Started around noon with 15lbs of Kingsford with the outside temp hovering at 100. Every hour for the next 3 hours added 15-20lbs of Kingsford. The whole process went really, really well. Get the pig prepped, light the coal (weed burners rule), start drinking beer, water, beer, and wait.

After just over 3:30 hours it hit 187 internal and we flipped the pig to crisp up the skin. Took about 30min to get the color and texture, then serve it up.

Attachments

• ZW2F4937.jpg
    ZW2F4937.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 401
  • ZW2F4965.jpg
    ZW2F4965.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 402
  • ZW2F4970.jpg
    ZW2F4970.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 401
  • ZW2F4986.jpg
    ZW2F4986.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 403
  • ZW2F4989.jpg
    ZW2F4989.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 401
  • ZW2F5130.jpg
    ZW2F5130.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 403
Very cool! What were the pit temps running during the cook? I stuck a grate thermometer in and it seemed kind of low to me. Is that the recommended thermo placement? Any thoughts about using a smoke generator?

Good looking spread. Just wondering, out of the 65 pounds what did you end up with, net pounds? How did the ribs come out? thanks, Tom

Very cool! What were the pit temps running during the cook? I stuck a grate thermometer in and it seemed kind of low to me. Is that the recommended thermo placement? Any thoughts about using a smoke generator?

That is the recommended thermo location but my unit does not seem to be calibrated correctly, read ~400 the entire cook. I pulled it apart looking for a calibration nut or screw but no luck. I am going to try and find a better thermo before my next cook. I don't think it really matters as to what the inside temp is but the engineer in me likes to look at numbers.

The smoke pistol add on does not really excite me. The pork tastes great without it and I like the idea of using the box without needing a power source. I have plenty of smoker space, I like thinking of this box as a really large oven and not trying to make it into a smoker.

Good looking pig.
Why did you score the skin?

I haven't done this before and thought I would ask.

Looked really good. I've heard alot about those boxes - it seems they work just fine. Good looking pig.

So did the people like it? How did it taste???

Or was it just hot pork??

I just want to know.

Looks great by the way.

Back