עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
ddog27
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Talking Competition Question

I have a question that I thought would make for a great discussion. So here it is:

Do you feel that people, who try turning in something “different” than everyone else, are punished in the scoring? I mean if you do not turn in thighs for your chicken entry. Or if you put an asian BBQ sauce on your ribs instead of a traditional BBQ sauce. If you do something to “stand out” can it cost you? What do you think?

[url]http://ddogsbbq.com[/url]
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/D-DOGS-BBQ/30997079547?ref=ts[/url]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq[/url]
[url]http://twitter.com/ddogsbbq[/url]
ddog27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
GridironGriller
Full Fledged Farker

IMO, judges have an idea of what they are looking for. They know what they want their BBQ to be like. The Asian ribs may taste great, but that isn't "BBQ" in some judges minds. I think it would hurt more than help. Most judges (around here at least) like something right in the middle of the flavor spectrum (does that exist??). Don't go getting all crazy on them.

I don't think a chicken cut other than thighs is as risky, as long as it is done well.
1 6' towable offset
1 Char-Griller Pro with offset

--The backyard is getting full!
GridironGriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
ddog27
Full Fledged Farker

Another example. In the KCBS rules you can turn in Cornish game hens as your chicken entry. But what would happen if the judges open up all the other boxes and see chicken thighs and in yours there are Cornish game hens? Would that cause your score to be higher or lower? What do you think?

[url]http://ddogsbbq.com[/url]
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/D-DOGS-BBQ/30997079547?ref=ts[/url]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq[/url]
[url]http://twitter.com/ddogsbbq[/url]
ddog27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

We have gone out on a limb a couple of time... the limb breaks and we fall off!!!

I think judges have a definite opinion of BBQ. If you are outside of that by very much your scores will suffer.

BTW... we did the cornish game hen thing once or twice. We did leg quarters. It cost a fortune because we had to buy them whole and them cut them up. That would have been fine, but the judged didn't like them!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

I tried game hens last year. Went out and bought V-8 juice in 6 oz cans and used the cans to make "beer can game hens". Damn things were delicious, but I had it in my head that I needed to get 6 legs and 6 breasts into the box so that a judge wouldn't get a piece they didn't like. Couldn't fit everything in without making the box look like a pile of chit, so I fell back on the back up thighs at the last minute. I'd try them again if I can figure out the presentation of it.

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

You roll the dice being unique, and usually lose. On the other hand, you can ask those that have cooked for a long time how popular breasts used to be, somebody had to be the first to inject a brisket or butt (it's common now), etc....

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
backporchbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I think I would hurt if your thought "outside the box." I wanted to do jerk chicken but I was told that the judges would not think that was "Q". Then again, it is worth a shot, you get bad scores don't do it again. If you have fun it doesn't really matter, as long as you have fun.
backporchbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Mad Max
is Blowin Smoke!

You need to tweak the recipes and make it your own, while staying in the parameters that are set. I rather work on our rubs and sauces, while keeping our cooking technique intact.
Then again, It is fun to experiment. I guess it depends how bad you want to win the competition.
Weber 22.5 Blue Kettle (CL rescue)
Turkey Fryer
Superbly accurate, ferociously fast,
RED THERMAPEN

"Certified MOINK Ball Maker" 2008
www.southerntreats.blogspot.com
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I have heard that Jerk Chicken has done very well in some competitions. My wife makes some ribs with five spice powder and an apricot peach glaze that are to die for. Now here in the Northeast I might consider putting that in front of the judges. I doubt I would try it any where the judges are old timers.

Spicewine Custom Medium Large (Thank You Sawdustguy)
Primo Oval (and BBQ Guru for when I need a nap)
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (used mainly for storage)
Meco Aussie Walk-About (AKA the princess grill)
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Then again, It is fun to experiment. I guess it depends how bad you want to win the competition.
Well said... It's all a matter of your priorities as to why you are there and whom you prefer to cook for.

Unread 06-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #11
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

as everyone has said...it's what you want...after Yardley I told my hubby that I would like to change up our ribs, I tried a different method and he said they was good but tasted like cookie cutter Q...I said if that's what the judges are looking for then that's what I want to serve them...I'd rather be in 5th place than 28th...with something different that the judges don't like. Our original ribs we're delicious, but dry rub, no sauce and not sweet...but truly delicious.

So if you want to try it may work...it may not...but it's always worth trying at least once ...twice if you really like it...lol
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Well said... It's all a matter of your priorities as to why you are there and whom you prefer to cook for.
thats true but lets be real, it feels so much better with some validation from the judges.
lets not forget that it is called a competition for a reason and I don't think that I am going out on a limb when I say that the majority of us are there because we like to compete not just cook.
winning the whole thing may not be everyone's goal but I think that most people want to do "well".
I haven't seen anyone scowl when they get a call.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

In competitions only, setting out to win, leaving creativity for the backyard, here goes:

Having cooked KCBS (2), IBCA, and Texas Gulf Coast comps (20+) and observing so many others experiences throughout the country, my conclusion is that it does hurt if you try to be a standout. I'll go so far as to say I'd rather cook in a very narrow parameter like we have here in Texas than the supposedly broader scope the KCBS rules allow, as the playing field is a bit more level, and futhrmore the judges can't do so much self interpretation of what BBQ is supposed to be if the guidelines are very narrow. My biggest problem with comps in any organization is #1 judging, #2 rules that make judging subjective.

Judges are suposed to judge each entry on it's own merit not taking into account personal preference or comparing it to the previous entry tasted. That does not happen as much as it could or should.

All this being said, somehow our judging systems work because the consistancy of the top winners throughout the country cannot be a fluke. You must however go with the flow.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
wheels61
Full Fledged Farker

we cooked breasts the only two kcbs comps i've been in because i can't stand thighs. we thought we had them nailed both times but scores were all over the place. we had 9's and we had 6's. i don't think you can win with white meat but i'm not gonna cook something i wouldn't eat.
Pit Boss by American Barbecue Systems w Digi Q
All Star by American Barbecue Systems
Weber
Cowboy Campfire Grill
Char-Griller Duo
wheels61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #15
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that there is a difference between trying to be "different" and turning in something that no one else is, and trying something new. In a BBQ competition setting doing something completely out of the box such as turning in teryaki cornish hens will get you killed on score because that isn't typical BBQ and that is what you need.

But there is plenty of room for experimenting within the perameters of typical BBQ. Your recipes don't have to be vanilla and shouldn't be in my opinion. You should push the envelope and strive to make the best tasting BBQ you can. But you have to know what scores well in your area if you want to win if that means you have to cook candied thighs then that is what you should (if you want to win) do but that doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment and try to change up the flavor profile on those candied thighs.

Butts A Fire BBQ Team

NB Bandera
Webber Kettle
Backwoods Party
Pro Q Excel 20
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote