Preparing for my first Comp

BigdogKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a minivan to carry all my junk, but I was toying with the idea of buying a trailer. I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys about how you do it. Also if I lean toward getting a trailer...where can I get a cheap one!?!?!

Look at eBay or Craig's List

I have a 6 x 12 cargo trailer for hauling our stuff. I could get by with a smaller one but I use it as a "kitchen" at the comp site to I wanted one tall enough to stand in.

I was really lucky and found a pretty good camper on craigslist for $600. the guy that had it before me cut the back off and put on a big door like a toy hauler. I can wheel my cooker in and out and throw all my other crap in it. You just have to keep your eyes open.

I was really lucky and found a pretty good camper on craigslist for $600. the guy that had it before me cut the back off and put on a big door like a toy hauler. I can wheel my cooker in and out and throw all my other crap in it. You just have to keep your eyes open.

Now that is a cool deal.

Now that is a cool deal.

Yeah, it looks like crap on the outside, but the inside is in really really good shape.

For anyone that was in Lincoln last weekend, it was the ugliest camper at the competition.

We've been watching craiglist as well. We currently cram everything into a 5'x8' trailer, either rented or borrowed.

The upside to having a trailer of your own is that you're not continually unloading and repacking the thing -- that gets tired fast. We want to work out a revised pack where all we have to take out are the boxes we replenish with food, cleaning supplies and the meat cooler, and leave the rest in there in between trips.

We're planning three outings in August, and the loading/unloading in our heat might kill us.

In the meantime, I rent the 4X8 Motorcycle trailer from U-Hall for $15/day. I get the Spicewine and most of my junk in there. Rest goes in the car.

Why don't you do a few Comps first and se what other people have. Walk around thbe site and get some ideas

I agree with George, but if you want a 6'x12' enclosed cargo ... we are about ready to sell ours. Unfortunately, it's currently in DM. When's your first comp?

Yeah, it looks like crap on the outside, but the inside is in really really good shape.

For anyone that was in Lincoln last weekend, it was the ugliest camper at the competition.

Another thing I like about it that no one will expect much from you since you don't look like a pro, but like we always say here, it's not the cooker, it's the cook. I like your style Bro. :icon_cool

I agree with George, but if you want a 6'x12' enclosed cargo ... we are about ready to sell ours. Unfortunately, it's currently in DM. When's your first comp?

First comp isn't until August 15th up in Excelsior Springs. We are only doing 2 this year, so George makes a good point about seeing what others are doing and just make do with what we have.

Thanks for the input guys!!

I found a 2 horse trailer for the cheep on Craigslist. Not the biggest but has dual axles and pulls great. I would suggest the dual axles for the stability when pulling. Especialy if going far.

Back