拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
baughman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Payouts at Comps.

Hello my first post here.

I did a google search since i cant search here( says i need a subscription). What is the standard payout structure of a comp?

The only google comp I found was top 5 for each cat. then the top 10 all cats got trophys. Along with GC and reserve champ got a big payout. Is this standard?

Looking to get into comps next year after getting another WSM or 2. Along with getting some training with teams under my belt.

Is top 5 for each cat standard for each event? Wife and I are looking into it. But hoping its at least top 5 or 10 per event not just the top spot.

I was kind of shocked to see such a top heavy payout were other sports that are payout structured pay a deeper pool.

All tho I guess if most comps have between 15-25 top 5 isnt to bad if top 10 also get trophys.

Just hoping even if you dont recoop all your buyin at least you have a shot at getting some cash to off set expenses.

I see how this sport can get expensive. Even more expensive then golf and my wife made me give that up beyond friendly rounds with friends LOL.
baughman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Typically payouts are to 5th place in each category Go to cattle call and introduce yourself.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Typically payouts are to 5th place in each category Go to cattle call and introduce yourself.
DITTO

As far a payouts goes, I really depends on the size of the field and the policy of the organizer.
For many events, it is just as you described--top 5 per catagory and GC/RGC with a better payday. That is because it is much harder to cook well in all 4 catagories.
Larger events may pay to 10th or deeper and maybe the top 5 or so overall. Many events are well over 50 teams and run up to several hundred for the "biggies".

I will tell you this--if you can not afford to compete with ZERO winnings, you will not be able to compete for very long.
And, it takes a lot of time, contests, skill, luck, and the proper phases of the moon to place well consistantly.
At the 4 year mark, we are happy to get ANYTHING to help offset, even $50 helps and is hard to win at many events.

I don't mean to discourage you, but you need to understand the realities of competing.
Best hobby I ever had, bar none!

Welcome to the site.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with Sled, most I have seen payout at least the top 5. One word of advice, if you are thinking about competition BBQ for the money, you might want to dust off your golf clubs.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
I One word of advice, if you are thinking about competition BBQ for the money, you might want to dust off your golf clubs.
Ditto
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
baughman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I guess my post came off wrong. Not looking to make money off competing. Just thought like other sports the payouts would be deeper to help off set some of the cost. Bar B-Q comps pretty expesive to enter. I have read enough over the last few months to notice that hehe.
I love to Bar B-Q and love competing so seems like a good match.
Was just trying to see how deep the payouts were in a typical event.
I realise 3k-10k in prize pool for most of the average stops isnt going to pay enough. to even break even. Just hoping after 6 months to a year I could be good enough to cash consistantly( 1 or 2 cats on a lucky weekend) to offset some expenses. Unless all you guys are rich and do this for fun. I assume we all have to look for ways to pay somehow?

At least in Bar B-q on a good day with a little luck, you have a chance to offset some expenses. Golf I spent 10s of thousands with no real chance of making a tour. Before I started playing jsut for fun.

Thank you for your time. I will go back to my hole now
baughman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
One word of advice, if you are thinking about competition BBQ for the money, you might want to dust off your golf clubs.
LMAO!!! Now thats funny! And true!

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Ron_L

Go to www.kcbs.us and look at some competitions in your area to get an idea of the payouts. Each comp is a little different. We've cooked two so far this year and one paid out to 10th place in all categories and overall and the other paid to 5th place in all categories and overall.

The Naked Fatty!

Chicago Area Summer Gathering Planning is under way!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

If your wife made you quit golf you ain't gotta prayer in bbq comps.

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Every KCBS contest (pursuant to the sanctioning agreement) is required to have payouts to 5 places. There is no requirement at to the amounts. There is only a requirement to pay GC and RGC.

We would like recognition to at least 5 places as well.

It appears that the majority of contest now are going to 10 places per category.

Should there not a payout to 5 places, talk to your Reps and Organizer.
Yours in Q

Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Every KCBS contest (pursuant to the sanctioning agreement) is required to have payouts to 5 places. There is no requirement at to the amounts. There is only a requirement to pay GC and RGC.

We would like recognition to at least 5 places as well.

It appears that the majority of contest now are going to 10 places per category.

Should there not a payout to 5 places, talk to your Reps and Organizer.
Yours in Q

Merl
Good point, Merl... We are considering going to Grand Rapids, MI for the Taste of Grand Rapids competition but I noticed that the payout is only the top three in each category based on the entry form. Since you and Carol are the reps, have they changed this and just not updated the form?

The Naked Fatty!

Chicago Area Summer Gathering Planning is under way!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baughman View Post
Just hoping after 6 months to a year I could be good enough to cash consistantly( 1 or 2 cats on a lucky weekend) to offset some expenses. Unless all you guys are rich and do this for fun. I assume we all have to look for ways to pay somehow?

At least in Bar B-q on a good day with a little luck, you have a chance to offset some expenses.
Your best bet might contact the promoters in your area and convince them to do People's Choice/Public Sampling at their contests. That way, everyone leaves with a little cash. Otherwise, go to a contest to cook and have fun. If you win a little something, it's a bonus and you won't leave with a bad taste in your mouth (unless you made some really bad BBQ).

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I payout ten places when I can
Always do the Taste sample deal

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Ouch!!!!!!!!
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
bbqbull

When we took 3rd in chicken at this contest back in 2002?
The payout for chicken that year was $100.00 dollars.
Wonder if there are less sponsors this year due to our horrible economy?

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is online now   Reply With Quote