拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #316
rockyathabaska
On the road to being a farker

If yer gonna go gasser ,may as well be a weber.You ever used another kind ?
They just don't cut it.If the money is a problem go see my friend Craig .....he's got this list.......something will show up!

Rocky
rockyathabaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #317
LT72884
Babbling Farker

I grew up on a weber. My dad had one from the 60's. Cool lookin to. After that thing got thrashed from 40 years of use, i bought my own 22.5 inch. Some know the story others dont. I was at home depot and they charged me 80$ which was for the one touch silver 18" model but when i opend the box, there was the one touch gold with the ash pan and all. 22.5 inch none the less. I just added my first official mod tuesday. I put on a universal rotisserie kit. Now all i need is a aluminum flashing to put around it so i can put the lid on. I have never owned a gasser but one day i plan on it

Old 05-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #318
Spode
Got Wood.

I've made a baked alaska on mine, the cake with a layer of ice cream and strawberries on it, covered in merangue. Got it nice and hot and got the merangue cooked before it melted then straight in the freezer to set it. Was a bit messy but what a party trick in front of guests who only know about grilling!

I have two 22.5 inch kettles and will buy any I see for $25 or under! Ryan

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #319
SEAJAMS
Got rid of the matchlight.

I got my club card spending a summer in S. Lake Tahoe in 1981. The guys I was staying with had a 22.5 Weber and convienced me it was the only way to grill. As soon as I got back to Oklahoma, I bought my first and still have it and use it on a regular basis.

I did a mod on a Smokey Joe in 1985 so I could mount it on the back of my sailboat rather than those expensive crappy ones sold at the marine superstores.

A few years ago the wife bought me a Weber gasser that we use when we want quick and easy.
SEAJAMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #320
davebc1963
Found some matches.

Default This was hiding in my shed since 1994

Brand new in the box!! 22.5 inch kettle!Used it as a smoker tonight for pork loin.I used a hot plate and put my wood chips in a cast iron pan.Worked perfectly!
Ribs tomorrow night!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1148.jpg (91.0 KB, 797 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1147.jpg (113.6 KB, 797 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1146.jpg (60.9 KB, 795 views)
davebc1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #321
LT72884
Babbling Farker

And the hot plate got hot enough to cook food eh? i know they use them in the taracotta homemade smokers.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #322
davebc1963
Found some matches.

The hot plate worked great!I only had it set between low and medium and the temp stayed right around 200 the whole time.Honestly..I couldn't believe how well it worked.The cast iron pan worked well also.I only had to replace the chips once in a 5 hr smoke.
davebc1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #323
heckler
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default First Cook

Here is a photo of a couple of chickens on the new Performer. Sorry no pics of the grill yet. I usually use my UDS but for some reason this was calling my name. This weekend will be a turkey and a ham on the UDS, maybe do the bird on the Performer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC-0047.jpg (98.4 KB, 773 views)
heckler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #324
PFSmith
Got Wood.

Dave - using your BBQ kettle as a smoker with the hot plate, I am assuming that the hot plate had a detachable cord and you ran the cord through the bottom vent and plugged in into the hot plate. No problems with the part of the cork that is inside the kettle getting too hot?

Thanks!

Pat

Old 05-30-2010, 05:48 AM   #325
Fmart322
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmart322 View Post
I started comming to this site about a year ago, looking for a better grilling experience. So naturaly I wanted to get my hands on a Webber Grill. I'm a little cheap on it because about 5 years ago I bought myself a Kenmore stainless gasser. Don't get me wrong, I love that grill but we all know nothing cooks like wood. So I've been searching high and low for about 6 months for a Webber Kettle high and low off of CL and yardsales around my neck of the woods. Nothing. Money's been tight and my wife wouldn't understand if I spent money on a new unit seeing how we have a nice grill.

I did find a small smokey Joe grill at a yard sale for 5 bucks, brand new. It's a start. This year will be my year.
I hate to quote myself but after reading this thread again I found my post in it.

Since this post where I showed the site how I couldn't spell Weber correctly, I've since gotten my hands on not 1 but 2 - Weber 22" grills. I spent a total of $15 bucks on both of them. The first one my mother found at a yard sale for $25 bucks. She refused to take my money and said it was a gift because I always help her out. (I told her that's what son's are supposed to do for their moms)

The 2nd one I bought yesterday. I found it on CL about 10 miles up the road from me. A good friend was having a party yesterday and he expected a large turn out, which he had, and he thought he needed more cooking area to keep up with the masses. I told him I just got my hands on a Weber charcoal grill and love it. He said he loves food cooked over charcoal and started asking me how much something like that costs? I told him about a $100 bucks brand new but you could search CL or yardsales.

So, after we got off the phone I did a quick search on CL and saw one for $100 bucks, $60 bucks and one for $15 bucks, copy and pasted the 3 links to him and sent him the email.

5 minutes later I contacted the person who listed the grill for $15 bucks. She said she still had it and would sell it to me. I picked it up yesterday. She may have used it 3 times, if that.

I sold him a bag of charcoal for 5 bucks and he was hooked up for $20 bucks.

Everyone at the party loves it and they were jelious.

Thanks BBQ breathern for showing me the light!
Fmart322 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2010, 05:54 AM   #326
Fmart322
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a question, is there a thread or a web site anyone can recomend that can show me some of all the different MODS I can do to my Weber 22"? I did install a thermo but that's about it at this time. I'd like to do more but I need ideas.
Fmart322 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #327
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Fmart you might try here.
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9040039023
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #328
Urbs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

When you guys cook ribs on there do you use rib racks to keep them off the fire as much as possible? I've done a 7 pound butt putting a brinkman water pan in the middle with some water then ran some coal and wood around the outside. It cooked for 10 hrs and I never had to adjust once I got it set in the first hour. I was extremely impressed. I'm wanting to do some ribs prob. some baby backs. Just not sure if I can use same method as above and not burn them. Or should I build fire on one end then keep ribs in rack on the other? Any pics you guys may have? Thanks
Urbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #329
calypsoisis
Found some matches.

Default Love Weber

Have 3 Weber Gassers (Silver B, Gold B and a red 1987 Genesis with side burner), a 1980 two tone brown 22.5 kettle, black 22.5 kettle, two smokey Joe's, 18.5 WSM and my two beloved Performers prior to 1995 with stainless steel table and the 5lb propane tanks. One is black and the other is a dove gray. I drove three hours (one way) to get the dove gray performer and it even came with the much coveted original 22.5 Weber cast iron grate which isn't made anymore (complete with original box and paperwork). It was basically a frame of the 22.5 grate and the cast grate fit in the middle which wasn't permanently attached (probably why they don't carry it anymore). The frame of the grate is stainless steel and the sides of the grate hinge up just like they do now.

Never thought much about grills until my brother fired up frozen burgers on his Gold B gasser and it got up to 550 within 10 minutes. Started my collection shortly after that visit. The WSM and Performer are still my favorites.

Kkkkkkkken
calypsoisis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #330
Hofy
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoisis View Post
dove gray. I drove three hours (one way) to get the dove gray performer and it even came with the much coveted original 22.5 Weber cast iron grate which isn't made anymore (complete with original box and paperwork).
Kkkkkkkken
I (and I am sure others) would really like to see pictures of the dove grey performer. Also of the CI paperwork, since mine has been missing for about 10 years now.

Thanks

Tags
appreciation threads, kettle, Weber, weber kettle, weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods