The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #241
Fmart322
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
Yeah, they're pretty easy to come by around here. I have to really hold myself back.

I think even Swamprb would be on Kettle overload if he lived down here.

I started comming to this site about a year ago, looking for a better grilling experience. So naturaly I wanted to get my hands on a Webber Grill. I'm a little cheap on it because about 5 years ago I bought myself a Kenmore stainless gasser. Don't get me wrong, I love that grill but we all know nothing cooks like wood. So I've been searching high and low for about 6 months for a Webber Kettle high and low off of CL and yardsales around my neck of the woods. Nothing. Money's been tight and my wife wouldn't understand if I spent money on a new unit seeing how we have a nice grill.

I did find a small smokey Joe grill at a yard sale for 5 bucks, brand new. It's a start. This year will be my year.
Fmart322 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2010, 07:44 AM   #242
hath
On the road to being a farker

I just picked up a brand new 22.5 one touch from a guy for $50.00 it was assembled but never cooked on. Its green... is this a decent deal?
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #243
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmart322 View Post
I started comming to this site about a year ago, looking for a better grilling experience. So naturaly I wanted to get my hands on a Webber Grill. I'm a little cheap on it because about 5 years ago I bought myself a Kenmore stainless gasser. Don't get me wrong, I love that grill but we all know nothing cooks like wood. So I've been searching high and low for about 6 months for a Webber Kettle high and low off of CL and yardsales around my neck of the woods. Nothing. Money's been tight and my wife wouldn't understand if I spent money on a new unit seeing how we have a nice grill.

I did find a small smokey Joe grill at a yard sale for 5 bucks, brand new. It's a start. This year will be my year.
Keep searching CL and you will eventually find one. It took me quite a few months last year, but I eventually got a 22.5 OTS in great shape for $20. Make sure you use multiple search terms including misspellings like "Webber".
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team
www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Bob S is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #244
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmart322 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
Keep searching CL and you will eventually find one. It took me quite a few months last year, but I eventually got a 22.5 OTS in great shape for $20. Make sure you use multiple search terms including misspellings like "Webber".
I was going to say the same thing. Fmart, have you been searching CL only for "Webber"? The correct spelling is "Weber". However I must point out that I was looking for an older "Weber Performer" with the SS table. I found mine for $60, but only after I searched CL for "Webber".

Unread 01-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #245
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hath View Post
I just picked up a brand new 22.5 one touch from a guy for $50.00 it was assembled but never cooked on. Its green... is this a decent deal?
Brand new and assembled for $50 sounds good to me. Home Depot wants $160 for a green OTG...

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Gr...51&catalogId=1

Is yours a OTS or a OTG?

Unread 01-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #246
hath
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus Chezz Hawg View Post
Brand new and assembled for $50 sounds good to me. Home Depot wants $160 for a green OTG...

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Gr...51&catalogId=1

Is yours a OTS or a OTG?

Its a OTG. has the ash pan thing at the bottom.... Im thinking I did okay.
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #247
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hath View Post
Its a OTG. has the ash pan thing at the bottom.... Im thinking I did okay.
You saved $110, that was a great score.

Unread 01-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #248
PFSmith
Got Wood.

Oh yes! It is a very good deal! Fire up that bad boy!

Pat

Unread 02-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #249
Pit Boss Honeycutt
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Brethren Brothers. Does anyone have a link, or know how to desipher what the date stamps mean on a kettle? IE, A=? ,B=? ,C=? Thanks!

Unread 02-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #250
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A=1
U=2
T=3
H=4
O=5
R=6
I=7
Z=8
E=9
D=0
This is true for double charachter date codes.
Single letter codes start with an A for 1979, and go up to P or something.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #251
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Boss Honeycutt View Post
Hey Brethren Brothers. Does anyone have a link, or know how to desipher what the date stamps mean on a kettle? IE, A=? ,B=? ,C=? Thanks!
Here is the link you seek...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmage.html

Unread 02-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #252
Pit Boss Honeycutt
Full Fledged Farker

That is a great link, and just what I was looking for. I happened to rescue an (N) Weber kettle from CL for $12 to use for my UDS. Decided that is is a pretty nice grill to just cut up, so will be refurbishing it for now. Thanks!

Unread 02-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #253
Ty_
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've been using Webers since 1978 and am on my fourth 22.5", this one is a silver. I'd like some advice. It seems that as soon as I put the lid on, the charcoal starts to go out, usually just retaining one hot spot. Over the years I've learned how to work around it by rotating the food and/or leaving the lid off for a few minutes to let some of the charcoal reheat but this is not the optimum Weber experience. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Vents top and bottom are wide open. Ashes completely cleaned out prior to burn. Doesn't matter if charcoal is completely covering the bottom or only partially. I use Kingston briquettes but have tried others. Placement of grill is in a patio area with walls on three sides so there is virtually no wind.

Appreciate any advice from the Brethren.
Ty_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #254
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have found the same thing, I try to take advantage of it. I have not found an answer to a uniform heat without going topless.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #255
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Boss Honeycutt View Post
That is a great link, and just what I was looking for. I happened to rescue an (N) Weber kettle from CL for $12 to use for my UDS. Decided that is is a pretty nice grill to just cut up, so will be refurbishing it for now. Thanks!
Glad to help!

Tags
appreciation threads, kettle, Weber, weber kettle, weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods