The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
leftaslide
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Need some advice for puttin on a competition...

Hey all....

I'm trying to get a rib cook-off up and running at the local Home Depot where I work. I need some advice on pretty much everything. Here's what I know so far. I've cleared it through our local health agency as far as permits, etc., so that's clear. What I need help with is mainly:

-what kind of ribs should I suggest using, spares, babys, pork, beef, what are the general guidlines on this? (keep in mind this is just am amateur type deal, nothing huge)

-depending on what kind of ribs I use, what kind of time frame are we looking at for the competition? 4 hrs....5hrs....more?

-any rules on gas vs. smoker? rules on charcoal? can participants bring their meat from home (should I allow entrys that may have been marinating or soaking, etc...) or should they be in the package when the competition starts?

As you can see, I need a lot of help and want this to be successful so we can do it again next year.

-any other tips/guidlines/advice would help. I've never organized anything like this and could use a lot of help, just keep in mind this is just for fun, nothing too serious.

I'm gonna try and give away one of the smokers we carry as 1st prize. I'm also going to have an independent panel of judges to taste the finished
product. Let's just hope my store manager goes for it.

Thanks for all of the advice in advance!!

Char Broil American Gourmet
Brinkman Gas Grill King
leftaslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I've been involved as an organizer of the Georgia Barbecue Classic for several years, a KCBS sanctioned state championship event. If you've never been to a barbecue cookoff before, I suggest you attend one. (There is a first year KCBS contest coming up in Columbus on the 27th) Keep your eyes open and ask a lot of question and you will learn plenty.

A non-sanctioned contest can be pretty much whatever you want it to be, but if you see how a sanctioned contest works it will give you some useful ideas on how to structure your rules & judging. Good luck!

-Gowan Fenley
Cartersville, GA
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

KCBS will now licence first year contests at only the cost of the Reps
They will conduct the contest for you ,that is the way to go
The teams know what to expect with a sanctioned Cook Off not a BubbaQ
Prize Money is always the biggest factor in getting a contest off the ground
Out here with $3500 We can make em go There I dont know how much you would need
Go to the contest like Civil said Better yet ask to be a helper and learn the ropes

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with Thom, and CivilWarBBQ. This is a new deal with KCBS and is the way. I stayed away from two local contests today because of uneasy feelings about the promotion aspects alone. Decent money for one or two positions wasn't enough when rules are suspect. Steve
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote