עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Smoke On The Allegheny, Franklin, PA - July 11-13th

I received an email from Brent Hill, Chairperson for Smoke On The Allegheny in Franklin, PA July 11th-13th. They have 20 teams registered, and need a few more to secure State Championship Status. They are waving the late fees, to offset the price of fuel. Entrance is fixed at $175 per team. This is a KCBS Sanctioned Event in its second year.

Thought I'd post this for anyone who is interested.

Here's the website:

http://www.smokeontheallegheny.com/

Brent Hill can be reached at ptlm_bhill@hotmail.com

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Tinybud
Take a breath!

We got a phone call from them last week and they were still only at 9 teams, and their website is only showing 9 teams. if they have 20 they need to do an update. It was a decent event last year,, had a few bumps but it was their first one,, lots of volunteers to help with anything you need help with. haven't signed up yet,, not sure if I want to do 2 in a row,, berks is the following weekend.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinybud View Post
We got a phone call from them last week and they were still only at 9 teams, and their website is only showing 9 teams. if they have 20 they need to do an update. It was a decent event last year,, had a few bumps but it was their first one,, lots of volunteers to help with anything you need help with. haven't signed up yet,, not sure if I want to do 2 in a row,, berks is the following weekend.
The email I got from Brett indicated they had 20 teams committed. I didn't ask about the website, but noticed that too. Hadn't seen anything posted about this contest, so I thought I'd put it out there.

We've got family real close by, so we'll be at this one. With the little one, it would be great to have a couple extra hands. Hope to see you there.

Boston Hills BBQ Fest

Unread 06-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

We'll be there Mike. Look forward to seeing you!

Dallas
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D's BBQ View Post
We'll be there Mike. Look forward to seeing you!

Dallas
Yeah, it will be good to see you guys under better circumstances.

What's going on for the Ohio Smoked Meats Festival this year?

For all the people posting from the surround area of Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc, I can't believe there's not more interest in this contest....

Boston Hills BBQ Fest

Unread 06-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

You're right Mike, I am hoping that many more will sign up. For us this is the closest competition that we will compete in this year.

I've heard nothing regarding Nelsonville. I'm hoping it will be revived but am not counting on it. We are trying to get a competition put together in Cleveland next year to raise funds for wounded American warriors. If we're successful in getting that up in running we will work with the other two contests in Ohio to sponsor the Ohio or Govenors Cup which will be a special trophy and prize money awarded to the team1s that has the highest cumulative scores in all three Ohio competitions.

So how do you like the new Backwoods, Mike? I've got a new smoker coming too sometime around the end of September.
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100

Unread 06-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

A contest in Cleveland should do well. Love the cause of supporting Vets in any way. I am working on getting one off the ground in Boston, NY - Boston Valley Smoke Festival (KCBS). Had a meeting with the Chamber, and Town Supervisor. Everyone thinks it would do well in our little town. The Super has already pledged the town resources (electric, water, waste disposal, ash and grease disposal, ice, etc....). Now we need to pick a day. What weekends are you considering? I don't want to conflict. Boston, NY is pretty close for you too. LOL.

I like the new cooker. Still getting the hang of it. Very consistent in terms of heat. A new toy is always fun to play with. And its nice to be able to push it in and out of the driveway by myself.

Got a whole new rig this year. Eric, of Smoke On Water and The Anchormen, really gave me a lot of direction. Its coming together pretty nice. Last couple of things are: install more tie down rings, put the heavy duty off road casters on the cooker, install the stainless steel backsplash and table top. Ordered these really great polished aluminum cabinets from a company called Pit Products (suggested by one of the Brethren). My neighbor installed them yesterday. They look awesome, and have a perfect working height. We're probably going to wire in for electricity too.

What do you have on order?

Boston Hills BBQ Fest

Unread 06-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

We are looking at early October, possibly second week for the contest here. Lots of planning to be done yet.

I just recently got a Backyards Fatboy Cooker. I really like it. The pit I have on order is one I really never expected would ever be made. Jamie Geer just recently announced that he has come out of retirement. I was #5 on the wait list for over a year and he didn't make any pits last year. He called me last week and said he will be making them full time now so I jumped on the opportunity and sent a deposit in. It's an offset smoker. He makes all his smokers personally with painstaking attention to detail. Here is a picture of Rod Gray's. It will look very similar to his. The diameter of the pipe is 26" and the length of the cooking chamber is 56". Firebox is insulated. Holds heat extremely well. Very few adjustments required after the temp is locked in.

I look forward to seeing your new rig Mike. It sounds very nice!
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks great. Congrats. Look forward to giving it a good eye when we get together.

Boston Hills BBQ Fest

Unread 06-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Mke,

I definitely won't have it by Oinktoberfest. That's right around the time its supposed to be ready and I'll be driving down to Texas to pick it up shortly after its done. If I have it back by early October it will make its debut either at Nelsonville (if the contest survivives) or in Dover, DE. Both contests are the same weekend.
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Agreed. Either way, we'll be seeing each other at Nelsonville or Dover. I really hope the Nelsonville Contest survives.

Boston Hills BBQ Fest

Unread 07-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Bump

There's a lot of us near this contest. They are still looking for more teams to complete the roster so this 2nd year contest can be considered a State Championship.

Boston Hills BBQ Fest