s.U.D.S.

Garth57

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
P1010661.jpg

My first attempt at a small Ugly Drum Smoker (30 gallon size). Got the frame from an old gas grill I got for free. Looking for a weber lid. Going to paint it the blue color you can still see after the initial burn. Frame will be black with a black band aorund the middle of the smoker. The metal shelf is something I cut out real quick, it's not going to be on it. I think I'll make a smaller wood shelf. Hope to finish painting this week. Put 3 air holes at bottom, one is a ball valve on the side where the gas burner is (thanks Norco Redneck). Burner can be used to heat up sauce, beans, etc. I might get some bigger wheels from harbor Freight to roll easier. Looking to take camping and the all day beach trips. Yes, I know the propane line is open at the end. will be getting a new one. :cool:

That's a dandy idea, that's from a 22 1/2 grill isn't it?

Cool! I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a small steel drum. What size cook grate are you using? Will an 18.5" kettle lid fit on it?

It measures 18 1/2" outside diameter at top, hoping that size lid will fit it. Looking for cheap used weber now. Lid handle is actually off a 6 burner built-in unit from bbq's galore. Friend was getting rid of his and I cut down the handle. still checking out rack size for inside. If I get weber lid, going to make another rack near top. Other will be 8" down from top of barrel. :cool:

Let you know on the temps later this week. Waiting to finish up paint and get weber lid. :cool:

Hey Brian, AAA Liquidating down around 178 and Des Moines Memorial is suppose to have smaller drums. Guy from work is suppose to go there tomorrow, I'll let you know if they got them.

Finished painting today. Waiting to for the weather to dip below 98 so I can put it together. Used lid from cheap 18" kingsford from Home Depot, grate is to big though. I hope the weber grate will fit. Needs to be about 17 1/2".

P1010662.jpg

s.U.D.S. finished

Still looking for grate so I can cook this weekend.

P1010664.jpg

Think I might try that. Need to get some for basket as well.

Nice lookin drum.
How far above the charcoal grate is the cooking grate?
How tall is the drum?
Looks like a cool idea if you plan on cooking one butt or one brisket.

Drum is 29" tall, grate 8" below top rim, charcoal basket yet to be determined. Should be able to get a couple of butts on there. Diameter is about 18" inside.

Just curious, but wouldn't it be better to put the cooking grate at about 2.5" from the top?
Then you got 2.5" below the charcoal grate for the ash to go and 24" from grate to grate.
Especially since you got the weber type lid. With the flat lid I can see the 8" but that puts the meat closer to the fire.
Just pondering, since your in Redneck country I wonder what Pat thinks???

I AM getting jealous over everyones (s)UDS out there, nice paint, nice build.

alot of good smokes for you brother!!

peace,

Michael

Barbarian,

You are right. I put the bolts in low before I got the dome lid, thinking I would be using the ones from my first pics. I am going to drill another set in about 2" below the lip. Should be able to do a butt or 2 and 3 racks of ribs. Hopefully will find out this weekend. Will follow up with pics. I live down the streeet from Norco, so I can get help from him if I need to.

Back