ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I need help with my test boxes.

I did a test cook this weekend complete with turn-in boxes. Please let me know what you think.

Chicken...

Ribs...

Pork...

Brisket....

Thank you for your honesty!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
afreemaniii
Full Fledged Farker

Mind you, I've only done one competition, but here is my feedback.

The meats all look real good. The only part that we did differently was to have more parsley lined up around the edges. If you look at the pictures I posted in the De Forest thread, you can see the parsley is higher around the edges and you can't see the white of the lower part at all.

We cut 1/4-1/2" slices of iceberg lettuce and laid those on the bottom, then stuck the parsley around the edges beforehand. The meat was laid on top of the lettuce and covered up most of it from plain view.

I can't say if that is the only reason, but we did score pretty well on appearance in all four categories even when the meat didn't hold its own.

Gear:
1-BWS Party
1-22.5" WSM
Guru Pitminder and Stoker system
afreemaniii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
matthew burt
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

Chicken itself looks wonderful, maybe a little more parsley around the edges to even it up. pork looks good but I would lose the strands of Pork in the middle and go with all chunks, or all chunks and slices. Ribs look good, maybe even out the parsley around the edges of the box, and the brisket looks great other than the thick fat on the left and right sides on the top.

chicken 9(if you fix the parsley around the edges)
Ribs 8
Pork 7
Brisket 8

2 Stumps Platinum 5 (husker red)
Backwoods Professionall
custom mobile pit
Traeger Jr, WSM
new custom built insulated firebox offset
matthew burt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

Im in agreement, meat looks great and while it shouldnt matter it will...you have parsley upside down and not enough to make it look "nested"...

Find your feminine side and pretend your a florist

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Solidkick

I actually like the pork box the best........your brisket box, well, you needed to wipe the gunk off the sides of the box, slices look off center, more to the right, maybe put a slight curve in your slices if longer than the box.

I agree with Char on your parsley stems..

Chicken 8
Ribs 8
Pork 9
Brisket 7

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Psmitty
Got Wood.

MY first thought was that a lot more parsley around the sides would set off that great looking chicken. I also like the uniformity of the brisket pieces (especially the bark) vs. the more random assortment in the pork box. The upside down parsley is also a good point. Good cookin'!

Big Mama custom grill/smoker
Chargriller w/ SFB
Weber 22" Kettle
...and plenty still to come...[/FONT]
Psmitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
Divemaster

I knew some of the comments were coming when I saw the pictures... Isn't it amazing how a photo can change your perspective (and add 10 pounds... I wish those 5 guys would stop pointing cameras at me)

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Unread 06-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Flip your brisket over, so you don't display the fat...

As for ribs, I do not like to dsiplay a side view of them, unless they are dripping with juices or have a real nice looking smoke ring, which is does not appear that these ribs have either. Not saying they are dry, they don't have the appearance of juicy ribs...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Harbormaster

Dive,
My $.02 FWIW:
Chicken - Pieces are evenly shaped, evenly sized, evenly colored (and look great). Only detraction was the greens. Needs to be more even and "fuller". Score: 8
Ribs - Evenly sized, great color and shine. Again, the greens. Score: 7
Pork - I like the looks of this. Only thing I would do would be to lose the "stray" strings in the lower left and upper right. Just a tad more greens around the edges. Score: 9
Brisket - I like the slices with the burnt ends, but the greens are seriously missing on the left side. It looks like the fat is up, which O would reverse. Score: 7.

My biggest question, how was it? It all looks great and I am farking starving!
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

You need more green. What I do for our boxes is a "putting green." I will usually use lettuce on the bottom of the boxes for coverage and then fill the box with parsley, making sure that the stems are all faced down, make if fairly tight.

All the meat looks great, but like the others, I would flip the brisket over so the fat doesn't show.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

I think all the meat looks great, the fat thing on the brisket, doesn't bother me at all, fat's where it's at! lol

As far as the parsley, it needs to be more even, as everyone has commented and stems down.

On the pork, I would put some bark on that pile of inside meat, it kinda freaks me out, OR, take out the darkish pieces of inside meat and leave it all pinkish.

Now, I want a brisket sandwich.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it all looks great! I would give you 8 - 9 on all of it.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #13
Big George's BBQ

Try to make the boxs look full. Add something for the table captain
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
Bentley
Babbling Farker

More parsley...in box 1,2&4. They were all 7's or above to me.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #15
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
My biggest question, how was it? It all looks great and I am farking starving!
To be honest, the spare ribs were a little over done and ended up a little dry. I didn't foil them and I'm glad I didn't... I pulled them after 5 1/2 hours and if I had done the 3-2-1 method they would have fallen completely apart.

The chicken was some of the best I've cooked. I need to scrape the skin more and then pin them next time but they came out moist with a nice smoke ring. This too surprised me since they were done in about 1 1/4 hours. I'll have to watch them closer.

The pork was dead on. I pulled it at 180*, foiled (with Apple Juice and JD) and coolered for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. When I checked the temp just prior to pulling it, it was sitting at 155*. It was moist but not in the least bit mushy.

I was happy with the brisket. I ran into a problem that it was still a little frozen when I went to trim it so determining the thickness of the fat became an issue. The seasoning was dead on.... I pulled it at about 185*, foiled (with A/J & beef stock) and just let it sit in the cooler with the pork butt. The texture was right there and it was very moist. I should have pulled the burnt ends a little sooner and put them in the cooler rather than leaving them on the smoker for the extra 1/2 hour...

All in all, I'm happy with the results and feel better about going to my first comp this weekend in Fort Atkinson. I did the test without any help so I know that I can pull it off....

I just hope I don't end up DAL....

Thanks again gang, your comments really do help alot...