The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default little help guys.

was given a smokenpit. so i've been using it exclusively just so that i can learn how to use it and become more versatile...

i can get that baby going for close to 10 hours without having to touch it and maintain 230-240 most of the time...

THE PROBLEM : everything that comes out of it seems to have this wierd odor/aftertaste. i can't put my finger on describing it...perhaps stale or bitter would be a good description perhaps...

so here is how i set it up and maybe you pros can tell me what i'm doing wrong...

for those who don't know the smokenpit is similar to a chargriller with a side fire box.

my basic set up.

pour in a bag of unlit charcoal into the side fire box. fills it up a little less than 1/2. i then place unsoaked hickory on top of the charcoal...

i light 15 briquets in a starter and add them to end farthest away from the vent.

it will get going and get to abotu 300 and then i mess with the exhaust and sfb vent until its going steady at 230....and then its usually good to go for a good while...

my thoughts:

1. is this indicative of hickory?...something you have to watch out for? maybe i'm giving it too much smoke? to cook butts i'll use about 20-30 chunks of hickory

2. top exhaust vent is usually halfway shut....do i need to leave that cranked open all the way? is the smoke having ahard time escaping?

3. do i need to soak my wood? i never have in my wsm and it seems to work fine...

thats all i can think of....any help from anyone would be nice...
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnd View Post
1. is this indicative of hickory?...something you have to watch out for? maybe i'm giving it too much smoke? to cook butts i'll use about 20-30 chunks of hickory

2. top exhaust vent is usually halfway shut....do i need to leave that cranked open all the way? is the smoke having ahard time escaping?

3. do i need to soak my wood? i never have in my wsm and it seems to work fine...
My $.02 on what you got going on.

1. 20-30 chunks is a lot of hickory, IMO. If you're gonna burn that much wood you need to have a small, hot fire. Otherwise you'll wind up with bitter tasting meat. (On my offset, I fill my basket with lump or Rancher, add a couple of hickory splits, and dump on a chimney of lit. when the charcoal is just a bed of coals, I'll add additional sticks of hickory, but it's a small hot fire at that point). Your smoke should be a very light blue, or none existent also.
2. On my offset, exhaust is always wide open, temp is controlled on the intake side.
3. I never soak the wood, regardless of what I'm cooking on.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
My $.02 on what you got going on.

1. 20-30 chunks is a lot of hickory, IMO. If you're gonna burn that much wood you need to have a small, hot fire. Otherwise you'll wind up with bitter tasting meat. (On my offset, I fill my basket with lump or Rancher, add a couple of hickory splits, and dump on a chimney of lit. when the charcoal is just a bed of coals, I'll add additional sticks of hickory, but it's a small hot fire at that point). Your smoke should be a very light blue, or none existent also.
2. On my offset, exhaust is always wide open, temp is controlled on the intake side.
3. I never soak the wood, regardless of what I'm cooking on.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
thanks...i'll try less wood next time. so light blue and non existant....

luckily i've got all summer to perfect...

Unread 05-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Fatback Joe
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

I'll second what Harbormaster said...........especially point #2........keep that exhaust wide open.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
KCBS, NEBS Member
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I third what was said (new terminology?). A lot of smoke always gives me bitter meat.

I keep the exhaust wide open and add a 2 - 3 chunks of wood. This will get me through most smokes.

Just my .02 cents.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

wow, i'm using way too much wood...thanks again guys....

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Yep.....what everyone else said!

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller pro offset X 2
Brinkman Gourmet Smoker
7-N-1 r2d2 looking cooker(on loan never to be returned)
Slightly bent Weber kettle
Scratch and dent wally world Uniflame kettle
new link to new musical adventure coming soon!!!!
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Ken V
Full Fledged Farker

hnd, small world. I grew up in Moline and now live out in Viola just south of town.
Apology for changing the subject.

Ken
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

cool. i work for derbytech which owns derbynet which offers highspeed wireless internet in your area...so i've been down to viola numerous times...i also use to work in the door industry and did lots of work out at winola school.

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
bowhnter
is Blowin Smoke!

Something along these lines for smoke...they are both going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1645.jpg (68.3 KB, 97 views)

Primo Oval XL
Weber 18" One Touch
The Fastest Thermapen
bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnd View Post
wow, i'm using way too much wood...thanks again guys....
Wood chunks are for smokin' and wood lump coal is for the cookin'!
Try mixing up your woods and try some apple & cherry with your pork. You will enjoy the outcome.
I use only lump coal and stay away from briquettes due to the added chemicals used to press the charcoal. Just another added list of unnatural flavoring.
Keep up the questions and eventually it will all fall into place like it you were born with the talent to Que!

Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII

Large Big Green Egg adopted 25MAR08
Small Big Green Egg adopted 01JUN08
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

I light a HOT fire with nothing but lump in a chimney. The chimney is on the grate, surrounded on three sides by a log, giving them a chance to warm up while the charcoal heats up. I dump the red hot charcoal in the middle and the logs ignite instantly with nothing but blue smoke, right off the bat. When adding logs (I don't use charcoal except for the initial chimney <grin>), I try to heat them up first to reduce white smoke to a minimum. Until she's up to temp I set the intake wide open and the exhaust wide open, then control the temp with the intake. The only time I use the exhaust damper is to control a temperature spike.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Pipin' Pig
Full Fledged Farker

Pretty much what they said. In my off set, I burn lump for the fuel and then add one (1) chunk of wood with every fuel addition for the first few hours if I am feeding it by the shovel full.

If I use the basket, I follow a similar approach to what you did with filling the basket with about half a bag of RO lump. Then light a separate chimney and pour that in one corner. Once I am up to temp, I then add the food and toss one (1) chunk, or a large hand full of chips into the fire box (depending on what I have). Then for the first few hours I will add another chunk or hand full of chips ever 30-45 minutes. I finish with just lump.

The only time I kept adding chunks throughout the cook, or when I went much higher than this as far as amount of chunks/chips, I ended up with that bitter over smoked flavor which I suspect is what you have.
Bag piper
Cookers:
- Stumps 223
- CB Bandera
- Jen Aire Gas Grill
Pipin' Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

i use mostly royal oak briquettes and have never used lump...

i actually just picked up royal oak bags of charcoal for less than 4 dollars a bag....

i really do think that i'm over smoking the food and using too much wood at one time...

thanks again for all thehelp gentlemen...

Unread 05-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

Have to agree with everyone! sounds like too many wood chunks!! Try some pecan wood if you get a chance, similar to Hickory, but milder flavor. I mix peach or apple in with pecan for most of the smokes I do.
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote