• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Plateau??????????

Kenny 13

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got a brisket going in my UDS for it's first long smoke. I'll admit I don't have a ton of experience with brisket, as this is probably only the 6th or 7th one I've ever cooked. It's been going for nearly 8.5 hours with the UDS holding steady between 230 - 235*.

A few hours ago the internal temp on the flat was up to 185*. I've had some plateaus where it's held a steady temp for a few hours, or even dropped one or 2 degrees, but usually it comes at a lower temp. After holding steady at 185* for nearly 30 minutes, this one has dropped to 178* for a few hours then gone back up to 179*, then in the last 15 minutes back down to 178* and now 177*.

Has anyone ever experienced a plateau with this much of a drop? I haven't tried inserting a probe to test for doneness yet, but I'm thinking maybe I should.

I have never had a plateau at that high a temp. Usually 140-160 is where I get mine. Perhaps check the probe location and see if it is too close to the outside of the meat?

Every piece of meat is different. Check with a probe, but I'm bettin it ain't there yet. Patience is a virtue.

Just an update - over the course of about 4.5 hours the internal temp dropped from 185* all the way to 175*. It stayed at 175* for about 30 minutes then began to slowly climb. Back at 185* I inserted a probe with still a little more resistance than I'd like so I let it go to 191* before the probe entered more easily, so I wrapped in foil to rest at that point.

This was by far my best brisket ever. Sliced very easily and was very juicy. I am totally sold on the UDS for long cooks. Managed the full 11.5 hour cook with only a 9 pound bag of RO briquettes and 5 wood chunks. Only had to make 3 slight adjustments to the vents over the course of the cook.

I know, no pictures - it didn't happen. Unfortunately, my daughter borrowed my camera and forgot to bring it back when she came to eat.

Was the fat up or down? Did you turn any? Any mop? Any injection?

Thanks,
Rick

I have heard fo some having a second plateau, but not dropping that much..glad it turned out.

I have had a brisket or two do that, but not quite that high... maybe 180. Every piece of meat is different and that is what makes that perfect brisket so elusive.

Thanks guys! The cook was a success, and as I said - I'm extremely happy with the UDS. Tonight after work, I chopped up the point and made chili. My first time for brisket chili but certainly not the last!

What's up, how does it go? No Pic's it didn't happen, dog ate my camera .. Dghtr had the camera... Not .

Really, it sounds good!

Back