The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Comp Rigs?

O.K. I gotta question for ya. I got me this 06 Duramax and love it and have been saving my shells for me a gooseneck comp / catering rig with a bath in it. Don't have to be nothing for sleepin but a mattress thrown up the gooseneck part and no furniture, just sinks and chit to cook with. Oh, and the porch on the back for the cooker so as to have not the load and unload chit going on. BUT my sources tells me by the end of summer motor homes will be at all time rock bottom prices. Soooooo seems to me that plan b might work just as well and offer up a few advantages. Plan b would be RV and have your cooker on an open trailer or maybe trailer with cover in case it rains, sinks and cooler space all of which should be rather inexpensive for that part. Now I know that fuel cost is key here but if I limit my round trip mileage from 200 to 400 miles (plenty of contest is the range for me this year) and figure my truck pulling a 30 ft gooseneck proly ain't gonna get more than 12 or 13 mi per gal and the RV not more than 7 or 8 the extra expense on that would not be bad. This way you'd have something nice to stay in and you could also use it on a strickly pleasure / vacation trip too. WHATCHA THINK?
Authorized Dealer
Backwoods Extended Party, Traeger, BGE Mini, and Portable Kitchen.
Dalton Grill & Smoke for Smokers & Recipes
Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

Last year I got a 34ft Jayco motorhome. It gets 10-12 mpg about a 1/2 mpg less when I tow a car. It has a Ford Triton V10. It great for the wife and boys. Since you have the truck I would look at a toy hauler over a mh. You can get a nice new toy hauler for the price of a used MH. But to each his own on what they like.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Or you can get a used TH in decent condition and use the extra cash for gas

Look at www.rvtraderonline.com and others for an idea of prices.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
blues brother
Full Fledged Farker

Greendriver,
I have a 36' mh that I want to sell and get a simple 20' box trailer and turn into a comp rig. I want something that is more fuel efficient and will fit into the limited spaces available at a comp. Like you, all I want in it is a"private area" with a bath room and a single bunk. A ramp on the back to use as a "cooking platform" and a side door to the private area.

We caught some grief here in Barnesville because we could not accommodate all the teams that wanted in. Size does matter. The more rooms the teams take up the fewer teams can fit into an event like ours. An event like Coweta up in smoke size is irrelevant since they are on a fair ground.

Dang, I kinda got off track...You have the truck, find a toyhauler or small box that will do what you want. I think I gave you a nickel's worth of my opinion. Good luck what ever you decide.
1 GF223 Stump Smoker
1 250 gal propane tank cooker(trailer mounted)
1 UDS to be...soon
1 Traeger

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
blues brother is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

There are lots' of used RV's for low cost listed on CL. The problem I see with an RV is that those engines and transmissions eventually need repairs and that can easily run into many thousands of dollars. I'd hate for the tranny to go out enroute to a comp and need to come up with $6-7K for repairs. Toy haulers don't have as many moving parts and require less maintenance.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Toy Haulers are nice.... that is what I am leaning toward..... Also could use for extra bedroom in an emergency for when I get into trouble...
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote