The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #31
smokinbadger
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Very impressive, Brian. I'm looking forward to the next pictures.

By the way, I just used some of the Rutland furnace cement (also from Ace Hardware) to fix my exploded BGE firebox last weekend. So far, it has held up through a low and slow session and a 600F steak cook.

Klose Widebody MasterChef * XL BGE * WSM * Weber Performer * La Caja China * Cookshack 055 *
Big Stainless Gasser *
smokinbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #32
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinbadger View Post
Very impressive, Brian. I'm looking forward to the next pictures.

By the way, I just used some of the Rutland furnace cement (also from Ace Hardware) to fix my exploded BGE firebox last weekend. So far, it has held up through a low and slow session and a 600F steak cook.
Good to hear! My BGE firebox is cracked but not in pieces and I smeared some of the furnace cement on the cracks and it flaked off the inside, but is still adhering to the outside of it. Curing the cement is the key and I didn't do that.

Here is an example, I laid it on a little thick on the bottom of the pot and it got an air bubble in it, so try to spread it on in thin layers and heat it gradually.

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #33
swamprb

Default **Chinese Kamado/Big Green Egg Restoration**

I've got a Kamado restoration assembly line going at the moment. Here we have a Chinese/Taiwanese Kamado/Big Green Egg that I scored last month for free. The story behind it is, the guy I got it from bought it at a garage sale for $40 and it was new and in the crate, he put it together, cooked on it a couple times and the band hinge loosened and the lid fell off and broke into pieces. He pieced it together and never used it again. Just the project I was looking for!

Let the fun begin!

Unread 04-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #34
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome! You're inspiring me to get on with the resto of my old kamado, which isn't nearly as complicated as yours! Thanks Brian!
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #35
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6Cop View Post
Awesome! You're inspiring me to get on with the resto of my old kamado, which isn't nearly as complicated as yours! Thanks Brian!
I always wondered that in your signature line Adrian!

I'm hoping the Mods will add this to the Roadmap, I also have the Sakura Kamado that just needs a paint job. I'll keep this thread going until they are done and I cook on them!

Unread 04-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #36
swamprb

I'm working on my neighbor Doug to clean up his Imperial Kamado!

He bought it from Uwajimayas in Seattle in the late 70's! It's a Large and he's added a Big Green Egg nest, thermometer, and Dual Function Metal Top.

They are grillers and are thinking of adding the side tables.

Unread 04-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #37
swamprb

Default **Chinese Kamado Restoration**

Here we go on the China Pot! The lid was in pieces so its going to get a couple layers of Epoxy then Furnace cement.

All the parts are in great shape!

Band hinge, slide draft door and metal top are off to the bead blaster.

Trolley will get new wheels from Harbor Freight.

I'm thinking this one will get a Black and Green paint job.

Unread 04-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #38
McClung
is one Smokin' Farker

Does the JB hold up to the heat Brian?

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]The Good One Model 30/24P
UDS
Smoke and Thistle Competition Barbecue Team
1Lazy1 Brand, A Texas Original
Lifetime member Displaced Texans
[/SIZE]
[I]THE SPICY FAIRY ROCKS![/I]
[/FONT][/B]
McClung is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #39
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

AFter lookin at all the restores. i think my may go ahead and bring back the cracked egg from my FILs house, that ive looked at time and time again over the past 5 years. it has a table and everything, just the bottom portion below the band is cracked all the way around. can that be fixed with the cement u think?

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #40
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClung View Post
Does the JB hold up to the heat Brian?
It claims a 600* heat rating and it will get a couple layers of High-Temp Furnace cement. I was heat curing the firebox in the oven today gradually up to 500* and it was solid- my wife wasn't pleased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDaddy View Post
AFter lookin at all the restores. i think my may go ahead and bring back the cracked egg from my FILs house, that ive looked at time and time again over the past 5 years. it has a table and everything, just the bottom portion below the band is cracked all the way around. can that be fixed with the cement u think?
Jason - bring that bad boy home and get moving on it! Post some pics and we'll assess the damage, it's better than letting it sit.
I've got some downloaded pics of another guys rebuild that was worse off than any of mine and more work than I would have attempted, but he pulled it off. I'll post the pics when I get his permission.

Unread 04-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #41
Brauma
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fantastic job, Brian. I've only used JB Weld on metal.

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer or eat crotchpot BBQ"

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #42
swamprb

Default **China Pot Metal Restoration**

I removed all the metal parts and will be able to reuse the slide draft door.

Bead blasted and rust free!

Painted and ready to go!

Gotta get moving on these and make way for the BGE!

Unread 04-30-2008, 06:36 AM   #43
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice Craig's list score! Keep the photos coming, Swamprb
Interesting to note that a bunch of prostitutes were arrested off of a Craig's list sting here in Wichita Guess you never know what you'll "score" off of the list, huh?
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2008, 06:38 AM   #44
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

You are amazing brother!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #45
swamprb

Default ***Extreme Makeover Kamado***

While researching the history of my Sakura Kamado, I came upon some repair and restoration tips from the Kamado.com site from 2005.

tomjax has graciously shared some pics of an Imperial Kamado Large that he rebuilt and is still using today. CAUTION!! These pics are not for the timid!

Seen enough? Are your retinas burnt from the seemingly horrible condition this Kamado is in? Wait it gets better! Tom cleaned the inside and out with wire brushes, used furnace cement on the high temp areas and Bondo in other parts, used a flower pot base on the bottom, primed with Kilz and finished with Krylon Fusion enamel "Sun Dried Tomato"

Tom tells me that his Kamado cracked because he was using a metal firebox from Kamado.com and the expansion of the steel caused it. Nice job Tom!