The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my Dexter-Russell.I usually by the sofgrip or sanisafe line.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Thanks Guy's!!!!!! I want something that will last and hold an edge. darthtrader, thanks for the videos and info. I know nothing about kitchen knifes but I am up on others... I prefer Buck or Gerber for everyday carry. Buck for the carbon and nice edge. What I don't like about Gerber is they are a biotch to sharpen. I think everyone is correct here to test drive. I will have a set by the end of the weekend.
In the kitchen I have a mix of Wustof and Shun. I'm going to be replacing my Wustof with Shun's piece by piece. The first time I used a Shun, I was a convert.

Everyday carry.

Benchmade

I have a Mini Griptillian, full size Griptillian and a Snody Resistor.
The Axis lock is kick ass and they hold an edge REALLY nice.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Salt View Post
Go to a good knife shop and feel them. Pick the one that feels right in your hand.

Economical, top quality, commercial brands: Forschner, or Chicago Cutlery. Both used in every restaurant kitchen you'll ever walk into. They do a great job, last forever, and won't hurt your wallet too much.

German made, forged blades tend to have a nice heft to them. If you like a weighty knife, I'd recommend Messermeister and Wustof. I like Wustof's new line, called the Ikon. I like the Messermeisters and the Ikon line because they are a bolsterless forged blade. That means the edge can be sharpened all the way to its heel.

Japanese knife designs are traditionally bolsterless. I have several Japanese made blades. Commonly found brands that I like are Global and Shun. Globals are light weight. Some people like that, some don't. Again, go test drive one at a good shop near you.
Wisdom from the Four Q Blade Master.

2 - FEC 240
Pitmaker Vault
Medium Spicewine

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

i would like some of these
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #20
Kidcurry73
On the road to being a farker

i would love a set of Shun knives.
-'83 Weber Kettle, No date code kettle, A Platinum Kettle (blue with table) and a little O' Smokey Joe
-Older Green Weber Silver Genesis
cmcadams: "What exactly does 'extra bacon' mean? That confuses me, as I don't think it's possible... However, not enough bacon is possible!"
Kidcurry73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get the Miracle Blade. Great for everyday use. Been using mine almost 5 years and never sharpened them. You might be able to get the set for $19.95.

2 - FEC 240
Pitmaker Vault
Medium Spicewine

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #22
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my Ken Onion Chef Knife, but my wife hates it. So it is my knife. The blade holds an edge very well. One note on the Shun knife is that most models the handle is hand specific. It is shaped like a D to fit in the hand better. Not a big deal, but if you are like my family. I am right handed (Normal ) and my wife is Left handed. So one set of Shuns does not work.

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team

2x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100, FEC 120, FEC 240, FEC 500, PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (we feed it big pellets)
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

I have a few F. Dick (keep it out of the woodpile ) knives that I like pretty well.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #24
STX Cue
Full Fledged Farker

I have used Dexter-Russell knives thru culinary school (mostly so I don't lose a lot if they get lost or stolen) and have been reasonably impressed with them. If they were heavier, I would like them a lot.

I have (had) a MAC at the house. I am sure it is still around there somewhere, I just haven't seen it since the move. I loved that knife. I guess I should just get another one. Worst case scenario, I own two!
STX Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #25
Pipin' Pig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
How do you go about sharpening these?
Bag piper
Cookers:
- Stumps 223
- CB Bandera
- Jen Aire Gas Grill
Pipin' Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #26
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my Henckel's Professional "S" knives, mostly the japanese style ones
My mother and aunt swear by the french made Sabatier lines
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #27
darthtrader
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Kyocera's ceramic knives are awesome! Extremely sharp with hardly any maintenance needed. You can send them to Kyocera yearly for a professional sharpening for free. Ming Tsai uses these knives and swears by them. The only downside to ceramic knives is that if you drop them, say... on the floor or in the sink by accident, they will shatter.
18.5 Weber Kettle
UDS
Masterbuilt Extra Wide Propane Smoker
darthtrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #28
hd4me

I'm soooooo CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_ smil

Good Food, Good Friends.........Good Times !!!!!!!

BWS Chubby
Lg. BGE
Weber Silver
Weber Smokey Joe
Turkey Fryer
El Cheapo gasser
hd4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #29
Kidcurry73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Get the Miracle Blade. Great for everyday use. Been using mine almost 5 years and never sharpened them. You might be able to get the set for $19.95.

Miracleblade like these? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3288082

I have this set and they have been good knives, they feel a bit "cheap" and have rusted somewhat but they have held a pretty good edge. I think I got them at the mall for $20 like mista said, so for the price they have been great.

I still want a Shun or two.
-'83 Weber Kettle, No date code kettle, A Platinum Kettle (blue with table) and a little O' Smokey Joe
-Older Green Weber Silver Genesis
cmcadams: "What exactly does 'extra bacon' mean? That confuses me, as I don't think it's possible... However, not enough bacon is possible!"
Kidcurry73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #30
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtrader View Post
Kyocera's ceramic knives are awesome! Extremely sharp with hardly any maintenance needed. You can send them to Kyocera yearly for a professional sharpening for free. Ming Tsai uses these knives and swears by them. The only downside to ceramic knives is that if you drop them, say... on the floor or in the sink by accident, they will shatter.
Great knives, I bought paring knives as gifts for my mother and aunt.
The selection in your link though shows a narrow size selection. I would like to see a 8+ inch japanese Santoku knife
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knives