ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-05-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Carmichal
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Eastern Style NC BBQ

Ok Guys

I am a newbie and am wanting to try some eastern style NC bbq. I am going to do a butt and think I have the cooking technique down but am not sure of the rub seasoning. Some folks I have talked to say nothing but salt, black and red pepper and then cook, chop and sauce it with a vinegar based sauce. They say no injecting, it's all in the hickory smoking then the sauce you add when the cooking is done and your chopping the pork. Am I on the right path? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Carmichal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Eastern NC style is one of my favorites. I go basic with the rub, usually salt and pepper only, maybe some garlic. Then I use a basting sauce starting about 4 hours into a butt cook. Traditional ENC mops are white vinegar, water, salt, black & cayenne pepper. I will sometimes forget the water and add some apple juice and just a dash of wooster, especially if I plan on using it for a finishing sauce after pulling or chopping.

Eastern NC Mop / Finishing & Table Sauce

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup apple juice
3t sea salt
1t black pepper
1t cayenne
1t wooster

Warm to dissolve.

I like this mop on ribs too and just mix it in a shaker bottle. I start mopping after about an hour and a half. It's faster and less mess than using a brush. The "floaties" are a couple of dried birdseye peppers.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
jdub
is one Smokin' Farker

Yup, salt and pepper.
Chop it or pull it and splash in a vinegar/sugar mix. I use maybe two tablespoons on a whole butt.
Thats what I grew up eating in Middle Tennessee.

Unread 04-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

If you want the real thing don't use anything besides salt and maybe pepper for the rub. Chop it, don't make it very smoky and don't use much of anything sweet at anytime. The sauces aren't much more than cider vinegar. Somehow it works but it's really not what most people think.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
If you want the real thing don't use anything besides salt and maybe pepper for the rub. Chop it, don't make it very smoky and don't use much of anything sweet at anytime. The sauces aren't much more than cider vinegar. Somehow it works but it's really not what most people think.
Doc,
You speak like you have been on a Road Trip and/or written a book about this or something.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

From my experience DRBBQ is correct. I hit about 10 NC Q joints a couple of years ago on a trip there both eastern and western. Several were the shrines mentioned in Mike Mills book Peace, Love and BBQ. I got to go into the smoke houses of 4 of the places and talked with the guys. To me the only real difference between the two styles is the dip (what we call sauce, except it is thin like a liquid), one more vinegar the other has vinegar but has a bit of a tomato base to it. To me the dips are okay, a nice change and the meat was very good at every place I went. Cool smoke houses also.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
frankenswine
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Eastern NC style is one of my favorites. I go basic with the rub, usually salt and pepper only, maybe some garlic. Then I use a basting sauce starting about 4 hours into a butt cook. Traditional ENC mops are white vinegar, water, salt, black & cayenne pepper. I will sometimes forget the water and add some apple juice and just a dash of wooster, especially if I plan on using it for a finishing sauce after pulling or chopping.

Eastern NC Mop / Finishing & Table Sauce

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup apple juice
3t sea salt
1t black pepper
1t cayenne
1t wooster

Warm to dissolve.

I like this mop on ribs too and just mix it in a shaker bottle. I start mopping after about an hour and a half. It's faster and less mess than using a brush. The "floaties" are a couple of dried birdseye peppers.

I definately love this cider vinager sauce. I usually add a little red pepper flakes to mine to kick uo the heat a little. I don't understand the western carolina people where i grew up though. I just can't see eating slaw on a pork sandwhich...
La Caja China
Weber 22 1/2 Kettle
Kingfisher Kooker
frankenswine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

You'll regularly see slaw served on the pork sandwiches in NC, SC, GA, AL and even Memphis.

The idea that it's strictly a NC thing is another one of those myths that just aren't true.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
Bigdog

Quote:
You'll regularly see slaw served on the pork sandwiches in NC, SC, GA, AL and even Memphis.

The idea that it's strictly a NC thing is another one of those myths that just aren't true.
I had slaw on my sammy the first time I went through Memphis, and thought it was stange...until I ate it. Yummy.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
MattCom
Take a breath!

I only like slaw on BBQ, being raised in the north has allowed me to try different stuff without feeling geographicly bias.

I had hot dogs one night in WV during my college years and I remember saying: ... ugh I think they put mayo on mine.
My roommate replys, no it's Coleslaw... what they don't eat them like that in NY?... we laughed, and drank more beer! Thanks for conjuring up that memory.

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
Bigmista

Quote:

I saw it on tv and tried it years ago. Been doing it that way ever since. My slaw is pineapple and vinegar based so it is a perfect compliment.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
N8man
Babbling Farker

We Eat Slaw on and with Everything.....It's a SlawHead kinda thing.

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
bertkemtncurs
On the road to being a farker

Coastal NC is what started me into BBQ! We have been going there fishing/vacationing a couple of times a year for 10 years or so. Here's my sauce recipe I got back then from a local, and it's still my favorite. Give this one a try - everyone I've made it for has loved it for years. Don't forget to put the slaw on the sammie - very important!

2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1-2 tbs red pepper flakes (less or more heat)
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
1-2 tbs salt
1-2 cups hot water (less or more tangy)

Mix it all together and let sit a few hours.

Sometimes I just rub the butt with a little coarse salt, sometimes I use my regular rub.
I always top the sammie with slaw!
22.5" kettle
18.5" Weber
Stainless gasser
bertkemtncurs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #14
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Got a recipe from Michelle (Sawdust guy's wife) and it's a sweet german style. it goes hand and hand with my pulled pork.

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #15
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I never had slaw on a pork sammie until coming here. Now it happens on a regular basis. I do need to check out Bigmista's pineapple slaw. It sounds great.
-KCBS Judge #21924
-36" Kingfisher Combo
-New Braunfels Bandera (rescued)
-Weber 22.5" Kettle (rescued)
-A homemade trailer cooker
-Concession trailer nicknamed "The Dawg House"
[URL]http://www.facebook.com/BarkinDawgsBBQCatering[/URL]
Puppyboy is offline   Reply With Quote