The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Default Painting a Weber Kettle

I know Weber Kettles have a baked on finish. I have a old Kettle that has a very tarnished finish. I'm thinking about painting it. I'm thinking of using a high heat paint of course, but has anyone here ever painted over top of the original finish with any luck? I was figuring on sanding it down first of course. Think it'll do it any good or am I wasting my time and paint? Mo Dave, Spurgeon, anyone chime in here with your expertise.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not wasting time at all...sand it down, prime bare metal spots and paint away!
Oh ya, show pics!!
Michigan State Lead-Operation BBQ Relief
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

someone here posted pics recently of several they painted red. For some reason i think it was brian, and he had painted them red. They looked good. Go for it.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Jack2u2
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't think he painted the red ones. If I remember correctly, he sent them off and had them re-done in red. Might be wrong, but.....

Old 04-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Jes do a little sanding over the rust spots and it will turn out fine. I spot painted my barrel lid and it looks great.
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Mine was real faded... almost looked white it was so faded....

I was contemplating painting, but didn't. I scrubbed it real good with soap and water, and then put some hot coals in it to get it hot, then sprayed veggie oil on it and just rubbed it in real good. The shine came right back, and when it starts to look faded again, just a little rub with some oil and looks like new.

Never did try any paint....
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
swamprb

It was me that painted the Red Webers. I really don't see it so much with the black kettles, but all the Red ones I've had chip and rust out at the spot welds (handles, leg sockets and grate holders) Take this lid for example:

I masked off the rust areas and used Dupli-Color Red Engine paint, it's a pretty good match.

It's far from perfect, but better than the rust, and from a distance you can't notice it.

I've only painted the Red kettles, but have used steel wool then Meguiars #7 Sealer Glaze and rubbed them out and they shine up nicely.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Alright Brian, how do you get your vents so clean? I recently removed some from the 10 dollar barrel kettle before tossing it(not sure why I felt the need to do this).

Nuts and bolts are unsalvageable, but I was thinkin of sanding down all da chit off the vents in case I need em some day. Whats your thoughts?
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #9
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Fin Smoker View Post
Alright Brian, how do you get your vents so clean? I recently removed some from the 10 dollar barrel kettle before tossing it(not sure why I felt the need to do this).

Nuts and bolts are unsalvageable, but I was thinkin of sanding down all da chit off the vents in case I need em some day. Whats your thoughts?
Steel wool and wire brush on the vents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
I know Weber Kettles have a baked on finish. I have a old Kettle that has a very tarnished finish. I'm thinking about painting it. I'm thinking of using a high heat paint of course, but has anyone here ever painted over top of the original finish with any luck? I was figuring on sanding it down first of course. Think it'll do it any good or am I wasting my time and paint? Mo Dave, Spurgeon, anyone chime in here with your expertise.
What color is the kettle? I've never painted the whole thing, just the rust and ding spots. I have a couple old faded Black kettles that I used the Meguiars on and they shined up nice but they were still kind of weatherbeaten.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote