oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pork Pron need some feedback

Here is a recent turn in and I need some feeback. My gut is telling me this we could get DQ'd for making the meat look like art. THe other question I have is, does this look to much like a "Pulled Pork Salad?" Please help me with some feedback. Thanks in advance!

Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

While I am no expert, it looks like too much green in the bottom left. I never try to have the garnish covering the meet. I aim to sit the meat on top of the garnish and for the garnish not to stick above the rim of the box.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Drizzling the sauce in the manner that you have would probably be considered marking.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know if it would be dq'd for sculpting or not, I would lean towards not. However your sauce would be considered marking. You do have a lot of garnish, shoot for a fuller box of meat and garnish as garnish. Did that make sense?
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

My two cents, yes it looks like a salad, less lettuce, more meat...and yes, drizzling the sauce looks like marking, as a CBJ I would ask for clarification upon presentation from the table captain, which they would then drag over the rep and we would all be stalled on judging, and that sticks in our minds regardless of whether there is a DQ or not, there is a negative impression in the judges mind (and now almost cold meat of all entries), so not worth the risk for a few TBSPs of sauce.....toss it in it before boxing.. BUT all that aside the pork looks awesome....

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would agree with all the comments so far, Jon. I might add that you need to get some more bark in there, bro! That's where the best flavor is!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
matthew burt
Full Fledged Farker

this is from the KCBS Rules book I guess it depends on how you interpit it. I think I would not squirt sauce on it though, seems risky.

10. Sauce is optional. If used, it shall be applied directly to
the meat and not be pooled or puddled in the container. No
side sauce containers will be permitted in the turn-in
container. Chunky sauce will be allowed. Chunks are to be
no larger than a fine dice,
(approximately 1/8 inch cubed).
(Sauce violations shall receive a score of one (1) on

Appearance).
13. Meat shall not be sculptured, branded or presented in a
way to make it identifiable. Rosettes of meat slices are not
allowed. (Violations of this rule will be scored a one (1) on all
criteria by all six judges.)

2 Stumps Platinum 5 (husker red)
Backwoods Professionall
custom mobile pit
Traeger Jr, WSM
new custom built insulated firebox offset
matthew burt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

I think DQ would be stretching the interpretation of the rule although very possible. My rule of thumb when I judge is value add and in a fancy restaurant if there is a reason the drizzle has a value add it might be but in BBQ BBQ NVA so why do it. If not DQed I would not rate it over a 7 to much lettuces, to little meet rather than bark you have what appears to be dried meat, and it is not centered in the box. Just my 2 cents. No a fan of fru fru
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

yeah, my eyes go mostly to the ton of lettuce... and I do agree that that sauce drizzle could be considered marking. Other than that... I think it looks delicious and I don't think it looks dry at all... sorry Charlie. :>
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the input. After reading your responses, this is really one of those turn ins that I am telling myself "WTF were you thinking." Next time it will be alot more meat and parsly instead of green leaf, and no "drizzle on my sizzzle" or whatever Snoop Dog says!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #11
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmadichris View Post
Thanks for all the input. After reading your responses, this is really one of those turn ins that I am telling myself "WTF were you thinking." Next time it will be alot more meat and parsly instead of green leaf, and no "drizzle on my sizzzle" or whatever Snoop Dog says!
Don't beat yourself up about the box. I've only done 2 comps, but I can tell you that what looks good on Saturday, doesn't always look good on camera later. Part of that is stress and part is that you are working on a lack of sleep. After I looked at the photos from my first comp, I was surprised at how bad the boxes looked. Second comp we forgot to take some pictures of some of the boxes. Live and learn!

The most important thing is to remember what the comments given were and use them on your next contest.
BWS Competitor (sold 2012)
WSM - 18.5" - 2009 (sold 2011)
WSM - 18.5" - 2004 (sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen
KCBS CBJ, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

probably a marking DQ. Maybe sculpting as it looks a lot like Texas almost. And I'd give it a 5 for all the dang lettuce. Fill the box with meat so it's higher than any garnish. That lettuce needs a lawnmower.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Regardless of marking or not the pork looks great, mmm pulled pork...
http://www.nybbqchamp.com
Backwoods Party x2 WHAT
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 AM   #14
Leeper
Full Fledged Farker

way to much green in the box. I don't think a DQ is in order but I would put some more meat and less green in the box.
Weber Kettle
Weber Summit Platinum D6
La Caja China #2
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #15
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bride of Roo(BQ'n) View Post
My two cents, yes it looks like a salad, less lettuce, more meat...and yes, drizzling the sauce looks like marking, as a CBJ I would ask for clarification upon presentation from the table captain, which they would then drag over the rep and we would all be stalled on judging, and that sticks in our minds regardless of whether there is a DQ or not, there is a negative impression in the judges mind (and now almost cold meat of all entries), so not worth the risk for a few TBSPs of sauce.....toss it in it before boxing.. BUT all that aside the pork looks awesome....
I kinda agree with Char here. I wouldn't roll the dice with the drizzling of sauce just for the inconvenience the judges might feel. I think it would be better to just toss the meat in the sauce before boxing it up.

Just a side note.

I was a table captain at a comp where there was a box with sauce drizzeled in much the same manner as in the pic above. 2 of the 6 judges at my table inquired if it should be considered marking so I called the Rep over (one of the Grinstead Bothers) and he said that drizzeling is acceptable as long as it is a random or goemetric pattern but it can't be something like the shape of a number etc. He said that drizzeling is not a DQ in and of itself.

Just offering what the Rep said.

I agree with all the above coments that there is too much lettuce.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote