The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #46
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

3 thoughts Bob:

1 Poly stain should should be exterior rated or UV will destroy it within a year.

2. Consider "distressing" the wood with a torch and a grinder for "character."

3. See about adjustable feet for the existing legs using pipe fittings and/or casters to make it movable and adjustable for less than perfectly flat surfaces.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #47
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Mark,

I didn't check to see if it's UV rated or not. Good point. Another good idea about the distressing with fire. I love that look. I kept the receipt and need to exchange the black pipe anyway, so if the stain isn't UV rated, I'll swap it too.

The leg extentions are the biggest pain in the arse right now. I only need to raise it abou 10 - 12 inches to make it bar height. My dad has some old pipe laying around his house. I'm going to check it out this weekend and see if it will be a better fit. I even looked at things like shovel handles that are about the same diameter that I could cut into smaller lengths and use as extenders, but I think those will not fit snuggly either. If I can't find any suitable extenders, then it's going to be a standard height table. Thanks for the feedback!!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #48
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thick wall PVC pipe is another option and easy to work with.

PS: Kinky Friedman singing his greatest hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a50gP...eature=related

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #49
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Hey now there's an idea. The light weight of the pvc will offset the heavy weight of the 2x4's and help keep the total weight down. The thing is, even though I only need to raise it about 12inches, I will need extensions that are at least 15 or more so that it goes far enough into the table legs to provide enough support so that the table won't wobble side to side. PVC would be perfect to cut into longer legs, and less expensive than steel pipe. THanks again.

Can't play Kinky's song right now, but I've heard it before. Gotta love it!!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote