MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

Default Another KCBS/MMA Debacle

Well Folks, it appears that MMA has once again fallen way short in it's attempt to "market" the KCBS and Barbeque across the USA. Apparently they have purchased and tried to outfit a truck and trailer that is supposed to make apperances at competitions across the country.

Guess what, it does not not have a smoker installed it! it has stove/grill with no hood, no surpression system, no hot boxes or sanitary set up. it basically can grill hamburgers and hot dogs what it apparently was doing in New Mexico this weekend. From what I have been told it comes nowhere near being NSA or Health Department approvalable!

The best part, they bought a used pickup truck to pull this rig that is grossly underpowered and according to the people that transported it to New Mexico on a volunteer basis did not handle well at all.

The time has come for the membership to stand up and speak out with regard to the poor job MMA is doing for the membership, I have agreed with people's opinion in the past to take a wait and see attitude with regard to this contract, however it becomes more and more apparent that MMA does not not have the level of skill required to represent the KCBS in any manner.

If anybody was at the contest in New Mexico and has pictures please post them. I find it hard to believe that MMA could not find a truck maker, smoker company and trailer manufactuer that would either donate or greatly reduce the cost of these items so that a world class rig could be presented. Please everyone feel free to chime in with your opinion...
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
bbqbull
Watching over us.

So..........are we going to do a petition and sign as a group or do the individual letters to the BOD?
Another fine example of taxation without representation......Any thoughts?

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
So..........are we going to do a petition and sign as a group or do the individual letters to the BOD?
Another fine example of taxation without representation......Any thoughts?
From some things I'm reading on another Forum they are now aware of the problems with the trailer and vehicle. Mike McCleod has indicated that changes will be made to the trailer for the health code issues.

I expect that our "ambassadors" will put pressure on the BOD about the truck. And it will work much better in the flatlands of Kansas or Michigan for that matter. All of us with gas guzzlers know the challenges of elevations above 5000 feet when towing.

As for not having a smoker - well here's my thought. If a contest has vendors selling BBQ then the KCBS trailer can't give away BBQ. But they can give away other food that can be cooked using one of the key sponsors products. So while I would like to have a smoker on it I'd be cooking non traditional BBQ stuff.

If you really want to write the BOD about something how about - who/whom is responsible for the trailer and what it does? Is it MMA or KCBS BOD or some combination of both?

Old 03-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Those that have spoken to MMA were promised corrections
Next question why would it be sent as it was?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I know little about the KCBS Roadshow..only what was said at the banquet. But I understood it as a platform to bring BBQ to the public and bring people into Competitive BBQ. Mccloud compared it to the Nascar trailers. But without having a smoker on board, its like having a Nascar trailer and showing off mini-bike engines. Maybe for all intents and purposes a grill and cambro are enough.. but I'l like to know what the intent and purpose of the roadshow really is. If this is truly the flagship of KCBS, i would think it should show and real interpertation of what we do. Im not saying serve up 300 briskets, but along withthe grilling samples, at least give an accurate rendition and not make people think a steak and burger is BBQ.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

From the blurb on the KCBS Website:

" The Kansas City Barbeque Society is proud to announce the upcoming launch of The Great American BBQ Tour, a cross-country tour of some of the nation's top BBQ and food festivals.

This tour, which will be on display at 23 premiere events and also make numerous stops at retail locations across the U.S., will show how backyard barbecuers can take tips from the BBQ pros of the KCBS and apply them to their outdoor cooking at home.

The tour will also demonstrate the products that go great in and with world-class BBQ, including TABASCO brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce, Weber Grill Creations, Royal Oak charcoal and Chinet tableware.

Stop by the Great American BBQ Tour display, and you will not only learn tips from the pros, but you can sample BBQ from our expert chefs and walk away with great recipes and tips to use at home.

If you have ever wanted to take your barbecuing to the next level, then be sure to check out the Great American BBQ Tour - coming to a city near you! Keep checking back for an updated schedule of tour events."

I remember sitting at the banquet and Mike McLoud saying how much time he spent getting to know BBQing and what it is all about (I can't remember the exact number of contests he said he went to but I think it was around 3). I think they are missing the bus and need to revamp quickly or they are doing KCBS a dis-service and misleading the public.

Yes we can all season our meats with Tobasco Chipotle, while cooking it on the Weber grill over Royal oak charcoal and serving it on Chinet but none of this really speaks to what BBQing is all about and what it takes. It is not hamburgers and hot dogs.

I heard somewhere where they had hoped competitors would step up and cook food for them to hand out. I can't imagine that happening anywhere.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I'm not trying to pimp my site (as a matter of fact, if people are interested I'll cut and paste the relevant parts here), but Mike McCloud is supposed to have the interview questions back to me by Monday or Tuesday and one of the topics covered is the tour.

As soon as I get them back I'll shoot off some follow-ups with specific issues regarding the rig.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

I still don't get the full purpose of how the demo introduces BBQ to the uninitiated. Aren't these people somewhat initiated by there presence at the actual event seeing what's going on with all the teams ?

Seems pretty dumb to be grilling flank steaks and chicken wings and saying this is what KCBS is when surrounding the trailer could be 20-100+ teams at the same event cooking brisket, butts, ribs & chicken on smokers.

Wonder what the conversations are gonna be like

"Hey honey... That hot dog and london broil they gave us to sample in that BBQ trailer was awesome !!!... I think I'm gonna go compete now.."

Attract future judges ? Maybe... Attract future teams ? Not many...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 03-30-2008 at 07:36 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe they could hand out DVD's from the Food Network when they've done an episode about BBQ. I've learned a lot from watching those programs and picked up some pointer's along the way. That would be promoting BBQ!

Do my hotdogs have to be plain or can they have ketchup and mustard on them in the turn-in box?
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post
From the blurb on the KCBS Website:

" The Kansas City Barbeque Society is proud to announce the upcoming launch of The Great American BBQ Tour, a cross-country tour of some of the nation's top BBQ and food festivals.

This tour, which will be on display at 23 premiere events and also make numerous stops at retail locations across the U.S., will show how backyard barbecuers can take tips from the BBQ pros of the KCBS and apply them to their outdoor cooking at home.

The tour will also demonstrate the products that go great in and with world-class BBQ, including TABASCO brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce, Weber Grill Creations, Royal Oak charcoal and Chinet tableware.

Stop by the Great American BBQ Tour display, and you will not only learn tips from the pros, but you can sample BBQ from our expert chefs and walk away with great recipes and tips to use at home.

If you have ever wanted to take your barbecuing to the next level, then be sure to check out the Great American BBQ Tour -
coming to a city near you! Keep checking back for an updated schedule of tour events."

See the red print up there? Who are the experts? How is visiting a trailer thats handing our burgers and steaks taking 'barbecuing to the next level'.

We are probably all jumping the gun without seeing the demo first hand, but based on the descriptions offered, i think a newcomer, just attending a competition and talking up the teams will get a better feel for BBQ than what they will get form the roadshow.

I was also under the impression that there were a few teams,KCBS insiders, or 'experts' associated with the roadshow besides the 2 regulars. Anyone know of that stuff?

Love to see how this pans out.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

We should be thankful!

They could be boiling ribs.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

What does a marketing firm know about putting a trailer together? The chairman of the Marketing Committee had a lot of input on what trailer was going to bought, I would have thought there would have been more input since he has trailer of his own. But then maybe he did.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #13
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Maybe we can get Gene to report on what he saw and heard
MMA says they will correct this
Arlie Did you go to NM?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #14
StLouQue

While I agree grill demonstrations could compound the misunderstanding of what barbecue entails; just how would an onboard smoker educate and inform?

Grilling takes minutes, not hours like barbecue. Someone please explain to me what knowledge short attention span audiences would gain from gazing at a closed smoker continuously emitting "true blue?"

Consider this: When beginning your own transition from grilling to barbecue, how many of us made our first attempts with wood chips in a foil pan of water, coals to the side, in a Weber kettle? I suspect most people curious enough to attend a demonstration would be encouraged to learn that they can experiment with the equipment they already own and are familiar with.

Regardless, I'll reserve my judgement until I know all the facts and until the Roadshow has had sufficient time to work out the bugs. I doubt anyone has ever done something new perfectly the first time. So, maybe lighten up.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouQue View Post
While I agree grill demonstrations could compound the misunderstanding of what barbecue entails; just how would an onboard smoker educate and inform?

Grilling takes minutes, not hours like barbecue. Someone please explain to me what knowledge short attention span audiences would gain from gazing at a closed smoker continuously emitting "true blue?"

Consider this: When beginning your own transition from grilling to barbecue, how many of us made our first attempts with wood chips in a foil pan of water, coals to the side, in a Weber kettle? I suspect most people curious enough to attend a demonstration would be encouraged to learn that they can experiment with the equipment they already own and are familiar with.

Regardless, I'll reserve my judgement until I know all the facts and until the Roadshow has had sufficient time to work out the bugs. I doubt anyone has ever done something new perfectly the first time. So, maybe lighten up.
Amen, everybody is so quick to judge. What they really need is a van and a couple of kettles and even a gas grill to get folks started on the right track. That is how i introduce new people to it
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote