The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
sampson
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Nuts and Bolts

I know that if I weren't so lazy I could probably go find it myself, but we're in a hurry... What are the rules for the type of nut and bolt to be used on a UDS? I know not to use galvanized, but we can't find stainless steel. What did most of you use that have built one?
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]KCBS Member and CBJ[/FONT]
sampson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson View Post
I know that if I weren't so lazy I could probably go find it myself, but we're in a hurry... What are the rules for the type of nut and bolt to be used on a UDS? I know not to use galvanized, but we can't find stainless steel. What did most of you use that have built one?
Home Depot should have stainless nuts and bolts

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Kenny 13
On the road to being a farker

If you have a Wal-Mart nearby, check their hardware dept. My local Wal-Marts all have stainless machine screws, nuts & washers. They carry them in small packs but the alternative would be to go someplace like a fastner company where you have to buy them in packs of like 50 or 100. That really adds up.
Kenny 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Kenny 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Home Depot should have stainless nuts and bolts
That's another option. Lowe's has them too, but they're not just hanging on hooks like the zinc and brass, etc. You have to dig through the drawers for the size you want.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
K I N G P I N
Full Fledged Farker

Brass would be fine as well

WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN
WEBER PERFORMER
FOUR SEASONS GASSER
Yellow thermapen
AKA-Crusty DippinTush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pinsgasser.jpg
K I N G P I N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
tjv
Full Fledged Farker

For a fastener store, try Fastenal. They have stores all over the place, including online. Most reasonble size cities have nut and bolt companies that sell to the public, just tricky sometimes finding them in the phone book. T
tjv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use stainless when I can...but uncoated carbon steel (black iron) are cool to...they'll just rust like hec. I think zinc plated would work as well...aren't the grates zinc plated? I don't use anything galvanized.
MAK 1 Star General...
MAK 2 Star General...
MAK 3 Star General...the one to rule them all!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
Kenny 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv View Post
For a fastener store, try Fastenal. They have stores all over the place, including online. Most reasonble size cities have nut and bolt companies that sell to the public, just tricky sometimes finding them in the phone book. T
I believe you can order online from Fastenal too. They are one of the problem places though. I purchase from them for my company and they will not break up packs of anything, so if something comes in packs of 100 and you only need 20, you have to buy the 100. That's why I didn't even bother calling them for mine.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Both the local Westlake's and Lowe's have SS hardware. Westlake's has a better selection...plus wood chunks, Weber parts and much less of an Orwellian experience...

Brett
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#008000][B]Large BGE[/B] [COLOR=black]named Rhona[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][B]WSM [/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]Trashcan UDS[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]Former Klose BYC owner (sniff sniff)[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]**************************[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity got framed.[/COLOR][/FONT]
Bottles 'n Bones BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote