The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Smokin Sloes: Northport, NY

Restaurant: Located in a two store strip mall in Northport on 25a (Fort Salonga Road). Just East of the Dairy Barn and McDonalds. Roughly 1/4 mile East of Pumpernickels.

The restaurant is both take-out and sit-down. There are roughly 10 tables with 4 chairs a piece. Each table has a roll of paper towels.

They use an electric Southern Pride smoker.

I ordered a sliced brisket sandwich with two sides (mac and cheese/ baked beans) to go. The total was $14.00 and change.

The sandwich was a good size. An average sized bun, but plenty of meat. The brisket was flavorful and had plenty of smoke although it lacked a smoke ring.

The mac and cheese used a nice, thick noodle and an average cheese sauce. It wasn't my favorite item of the meal. I wouldn't order it again. The sauce had an odd 'burnt' taste.

The baked beans were very, very different and not bad at all. More savory than normal and certainly less sweet. They used three beans (kidney, black and cannolini?) and large chuncks of onion without any meat product. Very interesting. It could have used more liquid, imho, but it was enjoyable.

The BBQ sauce was great. Memphis style; a little loose, a little spicy, a lot good.

The service was fine and the order came up quick. The owner wasn't in and the person that took my order wasn't too knowledgeable about the BBQ. They were personable though.

I was sort of prepared to dislike this place, but it wasn't bad at all.

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Lack of a smoke ring is probably due to it being an electric smoker and too humid in the smoker. Little far for me to visit. But I am glad to hear about any successful authentic Q joints in the area.
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (scrapped, because door kept falling off)
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:55 AM   #3
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Based on your review Michele and I will give it a shot.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the find! I'll give it a try.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote