The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Marinated/Brined meats

Do marinated or brined meats cook faster?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

I started brining and marinating meats a few years ago and don't recall any decrease in cooking time. I may be wrong though. I always use a cold brine or injection in cold meat though. If it were hot, it may speed things up, although I would be afraid that would put the internal temp in the danger zone too long.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
DaChief
Babbling Farker

Brined Turkey seems to cook a bit faster. As this is the only thing I have ever brined...I don't have a lot of data here.

BGE Large
WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Go-Anywhere
Turkey Fryer

"Go on! Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite!"
-- Daffy Duck
DaChief is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

It seems like they do to me, but I haven't been able to find a reference that explains why.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
It seems like they do to me, but I haven't been able to find a reference that explains why.
Where is our Mad Scientist???
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
jestridge

Chicken does also country ham cooks very fast the salt does something to it i think cause it displace the water.
jestridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:57 AM   #7
swamprb

I seem to notice that brined/marinated poultry cook sooner than just rubbed birds.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
qman
Babbling Farker

In my experiance, brined meats do cook somewhat faster. I think, but cannot validate, that the higher water content speeds the transfer of heat to the interior of the meat.

As to marinated meats, if your marinade has a fairly high acid content, and penetrates into the meat [or fish, fowl, etc] to any extent, the answer is also yes. This is specially true with injected marinades. The acid starts "cooking" the meat before it ever hits the grate.

Just my .02

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
SoEzzy
Full Fledged Farker

Theoretically, (I think), brined meat should cook quicker and here's my reasoning.

Brining adds water to the meat.

Cooking adds heat energy to the water in the food, and the water transmits the heat better than in food with a lower water content, or higher air content

So the meat with higher water content, should cook quicker than meat with a lower water content, as it is more condusive to being thermally efficient!

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know the answer but here's an excerpt from http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html#faster
Quote:
Brined meat tends to cook faster than unbrined meat. Some people believe that the water added to meat through the brining process conducts more heat, resulting in a faster cooking time. The more likely cause, according to Robert L. Wolke in an e-mail to TVWB, is that the denatured meat proteins are partially "cooked" by the brining process, so the heat has less work to do and the meat cooks faster.
So, if you're used to cooking an unbrined chicken or turkey for a certain length of time, start checking the internal temp about 2/3 of the way into the normal cooking time.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
SoEzzy
Full Fledged Farker

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/70/Brining

Unread 03-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
Larry Wolfe
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't really know one way or the other, but I've heard brined birds cook faster. I would never smoke an unbrined turkey so it's hard for me to say. But I cook a lot of brined turkeys and I can pretty much time a 14-16lb turkey will take 5 and 1/2 hours cooking at 235* every time, not sooner, not longer, like clock work.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote