MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
hdis2002
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Corned beef question

Through searching the forums, it seems the best way to start a cb brisket is to soak it for 24 hours in fresh water. The question is: do you soak it in the fridge or in a cooler at room temp? This sounds stupid I'm sure, but I've never done one before. My thoughts are you put it in the fridge, but since it's already been cured, I wanted to ask.
hdis2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

Definately in the fridge.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Keep it cold!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
MrMike
On the road to being a farker

You may want to soak it longer, like 48 hours or longer. - you can also throw some quartered potatoes in to absorb the salt as well. I always forget about the potatoes. I've got one going now that I soaked for two and half days, changing water twice a day.
Thirdeye has some great tips at:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...-pastrami.html

I think he's got the best starting point. His rub recipe is pretty darn good, and his
method is pretty damn near idiot proof.

Happy Pastrami!!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdis2002 View Post
Through searching the forums, it seems the best way to start a cb brisket is to soak it for 24 hours in fresh water. The question is: do you soak it in the fridge or in a cooler at room temp? This sounds stupid I'm sure, but I've never done one before. My thoughts are you put it in the fridge, but since it's already been cured, I wanted to ask.

If you want corned beef, you don't have to soak it at all. Just rinse it off and put it in the crock pot or oven for a few hours and you got corned beef for St Patties day. If you want to smoke it and make pastrami, then you gotta soak it.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdis2002 View Post
A lil confused, are you making Pastrami?? No soaking required for corned beef...
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
blues brother
Full Fledged Farker

A lil confused, are you making Pastrami?? No soaking required for corned beef... Yesterday 07:57 PM
I guess I am a lot stupid...Can I take a cb flat, soak it, smoke it and have pastrami??? I have a cb flat in the fridge for St Paddies day. I would rather smoke it. HELP!

Mike
1 GF223 Stump Smoker
1 250 gal propane tank cooker(trailer mounted)
1 UDS to be...soon
1 Traeger

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
blues brother is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2008, 03:36 AM   #8
swamprb

Smoked Corned beef is too salty for my tastes. I like to soak CB's for over 24 hours, longer if possible, change the water frequently and add the cut spuds to get the salt out. Then smoke em'!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Gadget
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Smoked Corned beef is too salty for my tastes. I like to soak CB's for over 24 hours, longer if possible, change the water frequently and add the cut spuds to get the salt out. Then smoke em'!
Seems the concensus is potatoes to get the salt out. I've been told onion. Any comments on that vs potato?

Thanks!
Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
thirdeye

I actually soak my store bought corned beef for both a traditional corned beef dinner, and when making pastrami. The big variable is the intensity of the solution that the processor uses..... so saltiness WILL vary from brand to brand. Plus most producers inject and immerse their beef cuts. Home corned beef may not need soaking in either application due to the nature or strength of the cure.

One thing to consider with traditional corned beef is that the braising or boiling will drive out some of the saltiness, but it still makes your pot likker pretty salty.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When I find a really good sale I stock up. I soak all of them for 24 hours (in the bathtub.) Really easy just ice them down and when the ice melts some drain off some water and throw in another bag of ice. Beats the hell out of using the fridge.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote