The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Big Daddys BBQ Massapequa NY

Went to Big Daddys tonight after we were ousted from Swinbellys. It was me, Willy(ie) B, Eric(Pigmaker23) Chris (Barfly) and Mineola Fred.

I can sum up the review of this joint in 2 words.....IT SUCKED!!!!!

Actually i do have one good thing to say. The garlic butter for the bread basket was really good. The night finished off well though. I introduced Willy(ie) to one of my favorite watering holes Johnny Mcgoreys in Massapequa Park. Willy(ie) will let y'all know who is the king of that place. If anybody is ever in that area and wants a good pub with good food just go there and mention that you know me.Trust me...ask Willy(ie)
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

WTF, WHY DIDN'T WE GO THERE FIRST, Suck is to nice of word for we attempted to eat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Went to Big Daddys tonight after we were ousted from Swinbellys. It was me, Willy(ie) B, Eric(Pigmaker23) Chris (Barfly) and Mineola Fred.

I can sum up the review of this joint in 2 words.....IT SUCKED!!!!!

Actually i do have one good thing to say. The garlic butter for the bread basket was really good. The night finished off well though. I introduced Willy(ie) to one of my favorite watering holes Johnny Mcgoreys in Massapequa Park. Willy(ie) will let y'all know who is the king of that place. If anybody is ever in that area and wants a good pub with good food just go there and mention that you know me.Trust me...ask Willy(ie)
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
barfly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmaker23 View Post
WTF, WHY DIDN'T WE GO THERE FIRST, Suck is to nice of word for we attempted to eat....
This place used to, (and may still have), killer cajun/creole food... an absolute blast on Fat Tuesday! Some years back I heard they changed hands and jumped on the BBQ bandwagon.. another example of a place that should have stuck to what they were good at..
22 in. weber kettle
Large BGE
barfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Mmmmmmmmm I could go for some more of those microwaved ribs.They were delish
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

That's real sad - and amazing. Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun has an hour wait.

I guess folks around there are so used to Friday, Bennigans, Chili's, etc. that they think that BigDaddy's has "great" food.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

What happened at Swingbelly's?
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarry View Post
That's real sad - and amazing. Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun has an hour wait.

I guess folks around there are so used to Friday, Bennigans, Chili's, etc. that they think that BigDaddy's has "great" food.
Big daddys has an hour wait? For what a refund???
Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Big daddys has an hour wait? For what a refund???
That's why I have only eaten there once. I had cajun stuff and it was pretty tasty. I have not had the BBQ.
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I liked the coleslaw and the BBQ sauce the last time I was at Big Daddy's. Have those gone down hill as well?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

This place used to be good when it was all Cajun but they just seem to have missed the mark by a huge margin when it comes to BBQ. They were at Belmont GK's and they were terrible there.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
I liked the coleslaw and the BBQ sauce the last time I was at Big Daddy's. Have those gone down hill as well?

Eric
Which sauce did you like. The table had about 5 and they were all awful. None of them were a KC style. Even the vinegar one tasted off
Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Went there last week for lunch...ugh.

Had hush puppy special - "Tasso" Ham, Crab and Jalapeno. Basically plate of dark lumps with almost no flavor of the ham, crab or jalapeno. Red pepper butter was broken.

Tried the gumbo. Awful. Tasted like ham soup. Corn, ham, a bit of crab and mostly just brown goop and some rice.

I will not return. It's sad because they have a cool place but they just can't get the food right.
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!