The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
hcarter
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default A little help.

So, about a year ago, I go to my local (Cincinnati ~200 miles) Bass Pro Shop. I get myself a Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe. I have been trying to work out the best way to do some actual Q with it. Now, I can raise and lower the platform that the wood goes on. So, in essence, I can sear, grill, or smoke the meat. After all this rambling, I am wondering, since this is a relatively big grill, should I get some logs and lower the wood platform as low as I can then wait for the correct temp before I try to start cooking "low and slow."?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A Highlander likes two things
naked....the other is Scotch."
[I][FONT=Book Antiqua]Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde[/FONT][/I]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

If it's the gasser, just turn off one side, and turn the other to the lowest setting that will allow you to run around 250* at the grate on the side with the meat. Put the meat above the side without the meat. You can put a foil pouch full of water-soaked wood chips over the lit burner.

That's how I started out smoking with my old gasser.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Jeremiah
is one Smokin' Farker

I would experiment with placing the coals and wood at one side with the food at the other extreme. You could get a little more involved and construct a foil wall separating the two (underneath the grill grate). A cake pan filled with water directly on top of the coals should help as well. Stick a probe remote through a potato and place it on the grill next to the food you're doing.

The big question is going to be how well does you're cooker seal and what type of air flow controls do you have as you'll be tweaking them to get your desired temperature.

Unread 03-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
hcarter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
The big question is going to be how well does you're cooker seal and what type of air flow controls do you have as you'll be tweaking them to get your desired temperature.

I have four air vents two on top and two on the bottom. Maybe I'll try to put some wood onoone end and food on the other. That at least sounds reasonably easy. Thanks Guys.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A Highlander likes two things
naked....the other is Scotch."
[I][FONT=Book Antiqua]Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde[/FONT][/I]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-18.jpg[/IMG]your in the right direction. Fuel on one side, food on the other.. i would also but a pan of water or beer next to fire under the meat. i

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote