The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Sledneck
Time Out

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Safeway BBQ Batlle XVI 6/21 & 22, Washington DC

I received a post card on the mail regarding this event. Anybody ever cook it? http://bbqdc.com/
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Sledneck
Time Out

Strange turn in. Saturday evening, Chicken 4:30 PM, Ribs 5:30 PM, Pork 6:30 PM, 7:30 PM

Unread 02-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

That has got to be some of the most "unique" terms I have ever seen.

Cooker Friendly??????

http://bbqdc.com/application_2008.pdf

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got the card too, most peculiar momma.
Dual sanctions...
Interested to hear from the folks.....
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Tinybud
Take a breath!

We got the card as well,,, really don't see it being cooker friendly,, can't come in until after 10pm friday, and you cannot leave till after 10pm sunday. The way the application reads, its hard to understand what excatly you get for an entry fee of $375. They way it reads,, you can only enter 1 kcbs category for saturday, and if you want to enter the other catagories, its 75 bucks per. So that would be an additional 225 to enter all kcbs catagories. Plus 150 for electic.... All I can say is,, we won't be there,,, and what the He** are they thinking,,lol..
If I got my info wrong someone correct me,, but I am looking at the full application right now,, and it is crazy.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinybud View Post
We got the card as well,,, really don't see it being cooker friendly,, can't come in until after 10pm friday, and you cannot leave till after 10pm sunday. The way the application reads, its hard to understand what excatly you get for an entry fee of $375. They way it reads,, you can only enter 1 kcbs category for saturday, and if you want to enter the other catagories, its 75 bucks per. So that would be an additional 225 to enter all kcbs catagories. Plus 150 for electic.... All I can say is,, we won't be there,,, and what the He** are they thinking,,lol..
If I got my info wrong someone correct me,, but I am looking at the full application right now,, and it is crazy.
I saw that, too. We had a 20x50 spot at the American Royal with two 30 amp electrical outlets and a port a potty and that was $675.

$375 entry
$225 additional categories
$150 electric
$350 for 20x30 spot
= $1200!!!! Holy fark!

No payouts beyond 5th place

They say that the winner would to go the 2009 American Royal, but I think they'd qualify for the 2008 AR.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

This is the first year they made the Saturday competition a KCBS event. In the past, it was beef, pork and chicken - cooked anyway you want. The Memphis in May comp was, and still is, on Sunday. It has always been expensive, but this year they raised the entry fee $125 (up from 250) and the additional categories went from 50 to $75. So, as you can see, it is really pricey. It would be $750 to do the KCBS event with a 20x20 space. The application is very confusing. With the sponsors they have, I don't know why they feel they have to charge the teams so much for entry fees.

The reason for the load in times is it is on Pennsylvainia Ave. between 9th and 14th street. 2 blocks from the White House and the Mall. They can't close down the streets until after hours. It is a 5 block street event people pay $10 to get into. They have vendors, music, NBA roadshow and lots of other stuff. The teams are mixed in and around all of this. So, you can't bring you vehicle in to get your stuff out until the event shuts down around 6 or 7 Sunday night.

I helped a team last year and wouldn't define it as cooker friendly. I couldn't see that they did a whole lot for the teams. Last year the weather was great and the crowds were huge which you had to fight to get to the turn in tent. Year before was hot and muggy and rained a lot. June weather in DC can be nasty.

It can be interesting cooking on Penn. Ave. At night, the teams do a lot to entertain themselves while the vendors are restocking and the street cleaners are running up and down the street. I enjoyed walking around at night talking to everyone once the crowd was gone.

I wouldn't consider this a casual event for everyone, but it might be worth it for a couple of teams to get together and go in on an entry. It looks like we'll be doing this with the team we helped last year. We'll do the KCBS event and he'll do the Memphis and we'll help each other out. Should be fun.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys

Last edited by Just Smokin' Around; 02-16-2008 at 10:18 PM..
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Sledneck
Time Out

SO with vendor fees , entrance fees for the public, sponsors etc they still have to charge that much? I understand it is on a public street and maybe that cost's a decent nut but c'mon. How many teams were there total last year? Now i see how they can advertise such a big prize pool. Is this the future of BBQ competitions? Sort of like the growth of Nascar eh? I used to attend alot of those events as well but had to cut down because of how much the ticket prices have gone up since.Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Unread 02-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

how many teams do they usually have?
interesting to see how many teams can foot that kind of bill for just one contest

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
how many teams do they usually have?
interesting to see how many teams can foot that kind of bill for just one contest
I think they've had 39 each of the past 2 years. The cost for 2008 is up 50% over 2007! And 2007 was a big increase over 2006. If you looked at it as 2 competitions, which it is, then you might be able to live with $500-700 like last year. Now you're looking at $750-1300. That's a lot of cash!!

They used to get a number of small local teams that would compete. I can't see them being able to keep up with these types of entry fees. It's a shame since they have a substantial cash flow from other sources. Just look at what they have on their website. The competition is a small part of the event. In fact, it is part of the draw that brings 1,000's of people in at $10 a head.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
VA BBQ PIRATES
On the road to being a farker

I thought about doing this when I heard it was dual sanctioned. Then I did the math. Ain't no way - even if it is 2 contests.

Tom
VA BBQ PIRATES is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Default Safeway Battle

Just to let you know KCBS was not even aware this was the fee structure. In MIM you can be a grand champion by entering only 1 category. KCBS you must enter all 4, I am not sure the organizers were thinking straight when they structured this. It is a first for them. Kind of a crazy event with all the people. Turnins for some teams can get rough trying to fight the crowds. Hotel rooms are real expensive too. Just my 2 cents

Linda
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
MilitantSquatter

I thought hourly turn ins are not allowed for KCBS ?

Unread 02-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I thought hourly turn ins are not allowed for KCBS ?
We get an hour for Whole Hog at BBQlossal in Des Moines, IA. Have never heard that rule before.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #15
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This one is too rich for my blood.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote