• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Safeway BBQ Batlle XVI 6/21 & 22, Washington DC

Strange turn in. Saturday evening, Chicken 4:30 PM, Ribs 5:30 PM, Pork 6:30 PM, 7:30 PM

We got the card as well,,, really don't see it being cooker friendly,, can't come in until after 10pm friday, and you cannot leave till after 10pm sunday. The way the application reads, its hard to understand what excatly you get for an entry fee of $375. They way it reads,, you can only enter 1 kcbs category for saturday, and if you want to enter the other catagories, its 75 bucks per. So that would be an additional 225 to enter all kcbs catagories. Plus 150 for electic.... All I can say is,, we won't be there,,, and what the He** are they thinking,,lol..
If I got my info wrong someone correct me,, but I am looking at the full application right now,, and it is crazy.

We got the card as well,,, really don't see it being cooker friendly,, can't come in until after 10pm friday, and you cannot leave till after 10pm sunday. The way the application reads, its hard to understand what excatly you get for an entry fee of $375. They way it reads,, you can only enter 1 kcbs category for saturday, and if you want to enter the other catagories, its 75 bucks per. So that would be an additional 225 to enter all kcbs catagories. Plus 150 for electic.... All I can say is,, we won't be there,,, and what the He** are they thinking,,lol..
If I got my info wrong someone correct me,, but I am looking at the full application right now,, and it is crazy.

I saw that, too. We had a 20x50 spot at the American Royal with two 30 amp electrical outlets and a port a potty and that was $675.

$375 entry
$225 additional categories
$150 electric
$350 for 20x30 spot
= $1200!!!! Holy fark!

No payouts beyond 5th place

They say that the winner would to go the 2009 American Royal, but I think they'd qualify for the 2008 AR.

This is the first year they made the Saturday competition a KCBS event. In the past, it was beef, pork and chicken - cooked anyway you want. The Memphis in May comp was, and still is, on Sunday. It has always been expensive, but this year they raised the entry fee $125 (up from 250) and the additional categories went from 50 to $75. So, as you can see, it is really pricey. It would be $750 to do the KCBS event with a 20x20 space. The application is very confusing. With the sponsors they have, I don't know why they feel they have to charge the teams so much for entry fees.

The reason for the load in times is it is on Pennsylvainia Ave. between 9th and 14th street. 2 blocks from the White House and the Mall. They can't close down the streets until after hours. It is a 5 block street event people pay $10 to get into. They have vendors, music, NBA roadshow and lots of other stuff. The teams are mixed in and around all of this. So, you can't bring you vehicle in to get your stuff out until the event shuts down around 6 or 7 Sunday night.

I helped a team last year and wouldn't define it as cooker friendly. I couldn't see that they did a whole lot for the teams. Last year the weather was great and the crowds were huge which you had to fight to get to the turn in tent. Year before was hot and muggy and rained a lot. June weather in DC can be nasty.

It can be interesting cooking on Penn. Ave. At night, the teams do a lot to entertain themselves while the vendors are restocking and the street cleaners are running up and down the street. I enjoyed walking around at night talking to everyone once the crowd was gone.

I wouldn't consider this a casual event for everyone, but it might be worth it for a couple of teams to get together and go in on an entry. It looks like we'll be doing this with the team we helped last year. We'll do the KCBS event and he'll do the Memphis and we'll help each other out. Should be fun.

Last edited:
SO with vendor fees , entrance fees for the public, sponsors etc they still have to charge that much? I understand it is on a public street and maybe that cost's a decent nut but c'mon. How many teams were there total last year? Now i see how they can advertise such a big prize pool. Is this the future of BBQ competitions? Sort of like the growth of Nascar eh? I used to attend alot of those events as well but had to cut down because of how much the ticket prices have gone up since.Hmmmmmmmmmmm

how many teams do they usually have?
interesting to see how many teams can foot that kind of bill for just one contest

how many teams do they usually have?
interesting to see how many teams can foot that kind of bill for just one contest

I think they've had 39 each of the past 2 years. The cost for 2008 is up 50% over 2007!:eek: And 2007 was a big increase over 2006. If you looked at it as 2 competitions, which it is, then you might be able to live with $500-700 like last year. Now you're looking at $750-1300. That's a lot of cash!!

They used to get a number of small local teams that would compete. I can't see them being able to keep up with these types of entry fees. It's a shame since they have a substantial cash flow from other sources. Just look at what they have on their website. The competition is a small part of the event. In fact, it is part of the draw that brings 1,000's of people in at $10 a head.

I thought about doing this when I heard it was dual sanctioned. Then I did the math. Ain't no way - even if it is 2 contests.

Tom

Safeway Battle

Just to let you know KCBS was not even aware this was the fee structure. In MIM you can be a grand champion by entering only 1 category. KCBS you must enter all 4, I am not sure the organizers were thinking straight when they structured this. It is a first for them. Kind of a crazy event with all the people. Turnins for some teams can get rough trying to fight the crowds. Hotel rooms are real expensive too. Just my 2 cents

Linda

We get an hour for Whole Hog at BBQlossal in Des Moines, IA. Have never heard that rule before.

I went and looked at the 2008 KBCS rules, while it does not specifically say that it must be 1/2 hr it does show the example of the standard turn in times.

As far as consistency between contests, I would have thought that 1/2 hr intervals would be required. Whole Hog, dessert, etc. would be outside of the big 4 IMO.

Back