拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
pne123
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ATTN: All UDS Builders

What is your favorite modification? What part of your drum design are you the proudest? What features do you wish you would have incorporated into your design?
With pictures and descriptions please. Fire box, ash tray, exhaust or air intake mods that worked.
I am designing mine (mech. engineer. I have to over analyze it all) and I want to get it right from the get go. I do have access to a welder and a talented millwright to fabricate anything that is above my ability.
I know there are a lot posts and one really long one but the info is so spread out it is getting almost impossible to find and I know some things that look good during the build do not actually work as hoped. So please take a moment and post up. thanks
pne123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

If I can get my XXL UDS dialed in just a little bit more I am sure it will be my fovorite cooker. I blocked the exhaust by almost half yesterday and she cruised at 260 for hours. Now, I did have all of the plugs on, however 1 of them was fairly loose. I am going to make an adjustable plate for the exhaust and work out seals for the doors. I love being able to hang stuff for smoking.

Unread 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get Norco's PowerPoint presentation and click here for mine:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=PowerPoint

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

I would recommend using a digital temp gauge with the probe at grate level to monitor pit temps. I started with a regular thermometer on mine and quickly went to the digital one due to the differences in temps at center grate vs. the edges.
Chargriller SnP

U.F.U.C. Blue Thermapen!
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Mcockrell
Got Wood.

UDS question here, do i need to remove the lid gasket that is on the drum?
Mcockrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcockrell View Post
UDS question here, do i need to remove the lid gasket that is on the drum?
yes.

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ash pan set up and beer opener! All else is personal preference. Flat lid vs Weber, valve verse Bung plug, 1 vs 2 valves.

Will go on limb and say I like dial gauge as a reference not as temp measuring. If you use standard temp probe and fire gets away you will burn up most. If you go back and read I feel people that make simple drums with minimal coolness factors have less temp issues. I like close nipples for easier cleaning.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm greener than a 10 year old smoking his first cigar so take this accordingly!
I played with various air intakes and I think I have a good setup. Tomorrow I may change it!!! I tried various intakes using smokebombs to see what circulation I would or could get.I stretched clear plastic over the top of the barrel and used a 2" exhaust in it. I tried various 3/4" to 1" holes just(2") off the bottom and what I liked best is a 1 1/2" intake right at the centre of the barrel. My mistake is that when I had the pipe bent it shrunk the diameter at the bend -so wide open my barrel will only do 340. I think if I were to do another I would go to a 2" intake pipe(1 1/2 at the bend). I think there is a picture in the gallery of my silver drum.
I like my intake control as it is so easy to go from wide open to dead nuts closed or anything in between. Useful when you need to shut things down before you open the barrel for a flip or mop, or if you happen to get an ash build up and you want to rescue your temp.
Just some experimenting that I thought I would share but we both know that experience trumps experiment anyday!
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
pne123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Ash pan set up and beer opener! All else is personal preference. Flat lid vs Weber, valve verse Bung plug, 1 vs 2 valves.

Will go on limb and say I like dial gauge as a reference not as temp measuring. If you use standard temp probe and fire gets away you will burn up most. If you go back and read I feel people that make simple drums with minimal coolness factors have less temp issues. I like close nipples for easier cleaning.
What did you do for your ash pan? bottle open yes but mainly will be cosmetic cuz budweiser's are twist off

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

3/4 inlet and 3/4 outlet works well for me. last week I added another 3/4 inlet to the opposite side and it's worked out perfect. My drum is smaller that all the others and burns a lot of fuel due to the lid not being tight...yet.

I'm with Norco just keep it simple and go from there for best results.

Also I don't have PowerPoint. :(

Here is my first build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=35743
I love my recycled ash pan.( yes I went and got a brand new one from the pet shop.lol)

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
pne123

H2oloo

If i understand you, you a intake coming off the bottom of you drum, turning 90degs and going to the edge of the barrel. What do you use to close the 1 1/2" tube? a valve. i looked for your picture but could not find it.

Unread 02-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pne123 View Post
H2oloo

If i understand you, you a intake coming off the bottom of you drum, turning 90degs and going to the edge of the barrel. What do you use to close the 1 1/2" tube? a valve. i looked for your picture but could not find it.

This is what makes this UDS mine LOL!!! Its salvage, looks it and is free.
I have a 1 1/2" pvc pipe, about 8" long with a 1" wide x 6" long slot cut in it and then a cap on it. Its simply a matter of sliding it down the metal intake pipe to reduce the open area of its slot. All the way down closes the intake. I think there is a picture there but if not you can PM an email and I'll send it to you. My intake is 2" off the barrel floor and runs from the centre of the barrel out the side, through a 90 and up the side.

For the exhaust I don't have a control but if need be I use a hockey puck either on its edge or on its side and I use this to damp off the air completely when necessary. Canadian eh!!!

In the other UDS thread a more experienced member makes reference to 2" intake and 2 1/2" exhaust. This seems to be what I'm about to find.
Recently i did a stove top vent instalation. I found it interesting that the fan was good for 30' of vent and each 90 degree bend was to be counted for 6'. I would think that angles in our smokers would have the same. effect on air movement.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

will let you know my thoughts in a couple of days when I get mine finished.
pics will be included.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It's UDS. Don't overanalyze it. There are so many combos and mods, it's impossible to list them all.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28470
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit