ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default cost of a large bge

I have never seriously looked for a BGE. i have used them before but have been looking to buy one. I have priced them new but had no idea about what a good used price is. I found a large w/ wooden table for $450. I wouldn't have to drive but about 20 miles to pick it up. I know this is cheeper than a new one, but didn't know how often a good deal on them popped up on CL or such. Thanks for your help.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

A new without nest or table is abotu $700. $450 is a very good deal. Make sure that it isn't cracked.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

I not a BGE expert, but from what I recall seeing $450 is a pretty good price even w/o the table as long as it good condition.

Unread 02-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
thillin

Depends on how much you want a table. Is a large or compack table? I think that's close to the price of a demo egg from Eggfest. Remember, take in account that you can't get the lifetime warranty with a used one.

That being said, if all internals are there, no cracks,offer $375. Another thing to check, is is it an older model? Newer ones have spring assist bands, stainless intake and dual adjust daisy wheel. Also if a plate setter is included, which is about $50.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Have another question. How comparable are BGEs to WSMs? i figure i can get 2 WSM for the cost of the large BGE. I am sure people have there prefferences and any suggestions would be great.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle697 View Post
Have another question. How comparable are BGEs to WSMs? i figure i can get 2 WSM for the cost of the large BGE. I am sure people have there prefferences and any suggestions would be great.
The grate on the BGE is 18.5 Inches. The BGE is heavily insulated, so it uses very little fuel.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

buy it!
buy
buy
buy

i got a large egg with a compact table for $600 off craigslist, but i'm a collector

the big green egg headquarers is in tucker, ga... go over there and have a look
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
swamprb

I would imagine you might see more BGE's in your location since the Mothership is in Tucker GA. But $450 is a pretty sweet deal with a table. Just know what your looking for, they all crack eventually, so take some work gloves with you and take it apart, remove the ring and firebowl and inspect them for damage, look the top and bottom over, the older ones had steel sliders and prone to rust, check condition of the gaskets. If it has accessories so much the better. It should have at the very least an ash tool, DFMT, Ceramic top, and a grid lifter.
As far as getting 2 WSM's for the same price-sure why not? They both perform well and have excellent support and rabid fan base. Six to one, half dozen to another! You will be happy with either. I'm partial to both, but if you can lowball consider the Egg.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin View Post
Depends on how much you want a table. Is a large or compack table? I think that's close to the price of a demo egg from Eggfest. Remember, take in account that you can't get the lifetime warranty with a used one.

That being said, if all internals are there, no cracks,offer $375. Another thing to check, is is it an older model? Newer ones have spring assist bands, stainless intake and dual adjust daisy wheel. Also if a plate setter is included, which is about $50.
These are some great points. The tables are pretty pricey. If it is something you want then that is a good price. If you don't really want the table then it is just a decent price.

Like Thillin said... look at the condition, any accessories, etc. The parts for BGEs are not cheap.

All that being said... NEVER pay what someone is asking!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
SmokeyBear
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle697 View Post
I have a large BGE and like it very much, but if I had it to do over, I'd probably go with a WSM.
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
Weber Smokey Joe Silver
Weber Q 120
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
I would imagine you might see more BGE's in your location since the Mothership is in Tucker GA. But $450 is a pretty sweet deal with a table. Just know what your looking for, they all crack eventually, so take some work gloves with you and take it apart, remove the ring and firebowl and inspect them for damage, look the top and bottom over, the older ones had steel sliders and prone to rust, check condition of the gaskets. If it has accessories so much the better. It should have at the very least an ash tool, DFMT, Ceramic top, and a grid lifter.
As far as getting 2 WSM's for the same price-sure why not? They both perform well and have excellent support and rabid fan base. Six to one, half dozen to another!
they do? do you mean the firebox and firering crack eventually, right? it's rare for the base or dome to crack from normal use, unless ya drop it. cracked fireboxes and firerings can still be used with no problems.

Unread 02-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
they do? do you mean the firebox and firering crack eventually, right? it's rare for the base or dome to crack from normal use, unless ya drop it. cracked fireboxes and firerings can still be used with no problems.
You have a point, I'm just speaking from experience, mine is an older BGE I got off CL, (FREE!) Old style hinge and top, rusted slider, ceramic grate with a cracked firebox. When I went to replace the spring assist hinge I noticed a crack from the bottom vent to the top of the bowl, you couldn't notice it with the band on. I don't know if it was heat related, or it tipped over? It has the old style low 4 wheel trolley and not very stable, the people were moving and didn't want to deal with it so it was my good fortune! SA Hinge $80, PS $75, CI grate, DFMT $35, Pizza Stone $25 and SS draft door all that adds up! They want@ $250 for a new bottom!! Getting a (almost) free Egg-Priceless!
If I were to do it over, though- Eggfest is the way to go!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
You have a point, I'm just speaking from experience, mine is an older BGE I got off CL, (FREE!) Old style hinge and top, rusted slider, ceramic grate with a cracked firebox. When I went to replace the spring assist hinge I noticed a crack from the bottom vent to the top of the bowl, you couldn't notice it with the band on. I don't know if it was heat related, or it tipped over? It has the old style low 4 wheel trolley and not very stable, the people were moving and didn't want to deal with it so it was my good fortune! SA Hinge $80, PS $75, CI grate, DFMT $35, Pizza Stone $25 and SS draft door all that adds up! They want@ $250 for a new bottom!! Getting a (almost) free Egg-Priceless!
If I were to do it over, though- Eggfest is the way to go!!
yes sir. eggfest!

there have been two eggs reported cracked recently on the big green egg forum, one xl and one large. the xl had the half cast iron grid placed on the firebox to get closer to the charcoal and the grid expanded so much it cracked the egg. the large reportedly cracked from the bottom of the base where it was supposedly placed in the nest too hard (?). the firebox and firering cracked right in line with the base (strange). the large was replaced on warranty (i think). not sure about the xl.

be careful out there kids. it is ceramic afterall

Unread 02-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
These are some great points. The tables are pretty pricey. If it is something you want then that is a good price. If you don't really want the table then it is just a decent price.

Like Thillin said... look at the condition, any accessories, etc. The parts for BGEs are not cheap.

All that being said... NEVER pay what someone is asking!!!
I did.

But then I only paid $150 for mine....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

I actually ended up getting another kamado style smoker. it has Asian markings what do you guys think about it? I think it's an imperial kamado. It seems a little thicker than a BGE but i may be wrong. it is the same size as a large BGE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker.jpg (7.8 KB, 57 views)