The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Sledneck
Time Out

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sanctioning

With all of the stuff regarding some ugly KCBS issues that have been recently discussed i would like to ask you all a question. Why KCBS? Every contest around here is for the most part KCBS. Why? If i were to put a contest together this summer here in NY with FBA sanctioning would you still compete? I use FBA as an example, substitute any other you know of.I have a great deal of respect for what KCBS has done as well as the job of our local reps. I think i would be intrigued to compete at a contest with a different sanctioning body
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Right now my first choice is KCBS but if they stick their foot in their mouth and pi$$ me off then I'd gladly look at an FBA event in the midwest instead. The key is that it is a qualifier for the Jack and the Royal.

Unread 02-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Right now my first choice is KCBS but if they stick their foot in their mouth and pi$$ me off then I'd gladly look at an FBA event in the midwest instead. The key is that it is a qualifier for the Jack and the Royal.

That about say's it all.......
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Question - Do either the JD or AR Invitationals recognize State GC's from sanctioning bodies other than KCBS?

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giggler View Post
Question - Do either the JD or AR Invitationals recognize State GC's from sanctioning bodies other than KCBS?
The short answer is, yes.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
DawgPhan
is one Smokin' Farker

I know that FBA was working to get more Jack qualifiers on the schedule for this year and the have several state championships for the American Royal. I believe that Swamp Boys is headed to the AR based on a FBA win...
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

First off, I too have enormous respect for what KCBS has done, and I think we have the best Reps, hands down. (Red Sox fan mod)

If it weren't for KCBS, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I think one answer to "Why KCBS?", is because, even with all this grumbling and ugliness , they know how to run a BBQ contest correctly, at the contest level.
The general guidelines and rules of KCBS contests are basically fair and easy to follow. This, and the competition factor, (I can beat these guys...) is what draws people in, and once you're bit, you know, there's no going back.

That is why I said "at the contest level". The other political crap is just that, political crap. If you don't like it (AND you are actually a KCBS member)... vote.
...well.. vote next year... but vote.

If you were to get an FBA contest going I'd be there in a heartbeat Sled. I enjoy diversity in my BBQ Associations. :> FBA has some different rules and regs that I find challenging, and I would LOVE to try my hand at it. It was a blast in Douglas GA, and Kell has still another, completely different set of rules.

I can't seem to schedule a good time to get lunchmeat down there, but maybe you can get some of them to come up here. It sure is HOT down there in the summertime.

good thread... ya trouble maker ... heheh
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

KCBS is about the only game around here. I would love to compete in another sanctioning bodies contest.

I seriously think we as competitiors have placed KCBS on a pedestal and have caused all of this ourselves. Get a few more sanctioning bodies up and running across the country and make them all compete for your contest.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post
KCBS is about the only game around here. I would love to compete in another sanctioning bodies contest.

I seriously think we as competitiors have placed KCBS on a pedestal and have caused all of this ourselves. Get a few more sanctioning bodies up and running across the country and make them all compete for your contest.
That is where you are wrong. KCBS is the only games chosen around you. Contact other sanctioning bodies and tell them that you have interested in them sanctioning contest in your area. I have spoken briefly in the past with a board member of FBA and was told that they are more than willing to come up here and sanction a contest. KCBS does not own your area.

Unread 02-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
ihbobry
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
If i were to put a contest together this summer here in NY ...
I try to not make trouble here but based on what I've been reading from you the past few weeks ... :)

Anyway, people go to what is familiar and available. KCBS provides the structure, rules & branding that make it work for the entrants and organizers. The sanctioning body of any sport or activity will always sooner or later, peeve off the participants and others involved. But you know what, those difficult/ignorant people @ the top always move on to mess something else up or start something new. The people who make the organiztion great always pickup the pieces and continue on.

The key is to keep this cycle in mind, keep the cohesive body of organisers and entrants from splintering and wasting the energy it takes to reinvent the wheel under a new name with new rules and new organiztion growing pains and all that crap.
ihbobry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
That is where you are wrong. KCBS is the only games chosen around you. Contact other sanctioning bodies and tell them that you have interested in them sanctioning contest in your area. I have spoken briefly in the past with a board member of FBA and was told that they are more than willing to come up here and sanction a contest. KCBS does not own your area.
This is true, but I have looked into IBCA and what a nightmare to pull off, but possible. I doubt FBA would come to the middle of the country to sanction a contest, MIM doesn't do it anymore (though there is a new group that has taken over I understand)

With 5 or 6 contest in the state, gettinng another sanctioning body interested would be a challange. And then getting cooks to play along would be the next hurddle.

Perhaps the BBQ Brethren should start sanctioning contests. we are already all over the world.

As a side note I typed BBQ Sanctiong Bodies into google, and was surprised to see this at the top of the list http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36187

So now why sanction with KCBS and why use any search engine.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbobry View Post
I try to not make trouble here but based on what I've been reading from you the past few weeks ... :)

Not sure of what you are talking about?

Unread 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Perhaps the BBQ Brethren should start sanctioning contests. we are already all over the world.
Did you have my cellphone tapped at lunch time today? that is freaky...

Unread 02-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #14
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
This is true, but I have looked into IBCA and what a nightmare to pull off, but possible. I doubt FBA would come to the middle of the country to sanction a contest, MIM doesn't do it anymore (though there is a new group that has taken over I understand)

Not sure if i get that. I have been to many KCBS event locally and havent noticed anybody travel from kansas city to run the contest. Its called reps and they are typically from your area or near by. I woudl think that other sanctioning bodies would want to grow and expand just as KCBS has. I understand the initial contest would be a hurdle but KCBS didnt magically appear here in the northeast out of no where

Unread 02-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #15
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Not sure if i get that. I have been to many KCBS event locally and havent noticed anybody travel from kansas city to run the contest. Its called reps and they are typically from your area or near by. I woudl think that other sanctioning bodies would want to grow and expand just as KCBS has. I understand the initial contest would be a hurdle but KCBS didnt magically appear here in the northeast out of no where

Tom and I organized an Omaha comp last year, 1 rep was from KC. We ran a CBJ class...Merl came from Tulsa. Omaha is just a Northern Suburb of KC when it comes to BBQ....

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote