The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-07-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default KCBS family membership question

I applied last week for a family membership for the wife and I. We are planning to go to judging classes on Feb 23 and it was a little bit cheaper to do a family membership through KCBS than to pay for 2 non member fees for the judging class which included first year fees for KCBS membership in the judging class fee.

I received an e-mail this morning from the organizer of the judging class saying that it was his understanding that family membership rates were only available as a renewal, not for first time members. Has anyone else heard this. It does not say that on the application and the girl on the phone took my credit card info and it has shown up on my bank records already.

I'm going to call the organizer this morning and discuss it with him, but I thought someone here may have some insight.

Thanks

Rodger
Cajunsmoker

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin CoonAss Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

My wife and I Just became members, and we got the family membership.
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

I have a KCBS membership question. I joined last spring when I took the judges class up at Meadow Creek in New Holland PA. Will I receive any renewal notice or do I have to resubmit another application to join again? I am not sure what the class date was.
thanks in advance for the answer.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
I have a KCBS membership question. I joined last spring when I took the judges class up at Meadow Creek in New Holland PA. Will I receive any renewal notice or do I have to resubmit another application to join again? I am not sure what the class date was.
you should get an invoice for renewal from the KCBS.

Unread 02-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
Sledneck
Time Out

Been a member for 3 years and have not received a renewal as of yet. The only way i knew that it expired the last time was back in December when i was nominated for the BOD I was reminded.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Here's what you do..

Quote:
I applied last week for a family membership for the wife and I. We are planning to go to judging classes on Feb 23 and it was a little bit cheaper to do a family membership through KCBS than to pay for 2 non member fees for the judging class which included first year fees for KCBS membership in the judging class fee.

I received an e-mail this morning from the organizer of the judging class saying that it was his understanding that family membership rates were only available as a renewal, not for first time members. Has anyone else heard this. It does not say that on the application and the girl on the phone took my credit card info and it has shown up on my bank records already.

I'm going to call the organizer this morning and discuss it with him, but I thought someone here may have some insight
Just call up the organizer of the CBJ class and sign you and your wife up SEPARATELY to do the class. There is no "family" price for a CBJ class because CBJ's are individuals. Do the Individual Member price for each of you and don't even bring in the family membership portion of the program to them. They just need to know if EACH of you are members or not.

Hope this helps.

Steph
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

to clarify my earlier statement, we got a family discount on becoming NEW KCBS members, No family discount on a judging class.
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Been a member for 3 years and have not received a renewal as of yet. The only way i knew that it expired the last time was back in December when i was nominated for the BOD I was reminded.

Quote:

you should get an invoice for renewal from the KCBS.

It seems like I was a member several years ago. I do not remember getting a reminder that my memebership had expired. I rejoined when I took the judging class and don't want it to run out again. I guess I should just send it in instead of waiting.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSmoker View Post

I'm going to call the organizer this morning and discuss it with him, but I thought someone here may have some insight.

Thanks

Rodger
Cajunsmoker
I can not say for sure, but last year it was for renewal only, but they were looking into having it for first time memberships this year. If they took and cleared you credit card I would say you are all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
We got a notice, but I have heard several did not get their notices. This is something KCBS should clear up and have running smoothly. Alot easier to maintain members than find new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Just call up the organizer of the CBJ class and sign you and your wife up SEPARATELY to do the class. There is no "family" price for a CBJ class because CBJ's are individuals. Do the Individual Member price for each of you and don't even bring in the family membership portion of the program to them. They just need to know if EACH of you are members or not.

Hope this helps.

Steph
As an organizer that runs a CBJ class we ask for membership numbers and clear them with KCBS prior to the class. If somebody gives me a number and KCBS gives the all clear then no sweat off my nose. It does not matter to me if it is individual or family just as long as it clears KCBS.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
billm
is One Chatty Farker

i don't think ive gotten a renewal notice in 2-3 years
Brinkmann Cimmarron Offset
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

I spoke with the class rep today and he said not to worry, that the ? had never come up until this class and this year he has several other couples with the same thing going on. He was calling KCBS today to get it all clarified and he said if the KCBS was OK with it then all was well. Since he didn't call me back or e-mail me with any problem then I assume it is fine now.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin CoonAss Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote