The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

Default Mustard Slathe Test Continued

Some of you may remember a couple of months back I tried to resolve the to slather or not debate for myself and did some comparison testing. Well I did 2 more butts this weekend, one slathered with dark brown mustard then rubbed and one not slathered. The butts looked like twins. There was very little difference and both were injected with the Chris Lilly blend.

After 17 hours in the pit (it was crowded with a brisket flat I tried to make - more on that in a minute) and an hour in the cooler, I did some eyeball and finger-poking analysis as well as some blind taste samples with my neighbor.

After two solid comparisons, I gotta say I'm a believer in the slather. Even by feel, the bark seemed more robust and pulling just pieces of bark you could taste a subtle difference that was for the second time -preferred. Granted, there was zero difference with any of the other meat, but the surrounding bark did come out better IMHO. I think I'm an official slatherer.

Regarding my abilities, I've gotten pulled pork down. I"m very pleased with my results lately and everyone loves it. I still can't do a decent set of ribs and I still can't do a brisket. I had about 5.5lb flat I threw in there and it came out awful. It was dryer than a popcorn fart and required good sales skills to even get the neighbors dog to eat it. It's back to the drawing board.
itschris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschris View Post
It was dryer than a popcorn fart and required good sales skills to even get the neighbors dog to eat it.
That's funny.

I recently lost all of my pork butt skills. Can't figure it out, but they aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be.
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sorry to hear about your brisket... How did you cook it???

I to am a beleaver in mustard prior to my rubs (on all but chicken)... I normally use yellow mustart but may have to try the brown stuff on my next butt....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Chris,

Keep at it brother... a flat is really easy to dry out. Try a full packer. Cook that sucker low (like 220) until the internal is about 165. Wrap in foil, add some apple juice, and put it back on the pit. At 190 start checking it with a probe to see how the probe slides in (you may want to try this at lower temps a time or two just to see how it feels when it is not ready). When the probe goes in with almost no resistance it is done. That could be 190... or it could be on the north of 200.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

I hear words but I'm a picture man! Got Pics?
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
bigabyte

Something to wonder about. Is it the mustard, or the vinegar that makes the difference, or does it require both? After all, mustard is basically just water, vinegar and mustard seed. Some varieties have other things added in. What if you just spritzed the butt with vinegar before cooking? Or is it the water? When I did my sude-by-side test a couple years ago I could not find a difference. This almost makes me want to try again, but since the difference is going to be so subtle, it almost makes me question why I would bother. Then again, it would be fun to slather again! I always thought that part was fun, even though it was messy!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Chris thinks slathering his meat is fun... and messy!!!! Pass it on!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
BobBrisket

Any of you ever try ketchup or mayo as a slather? I used mayo one time when I was out of mustard. I didn't really see a difference, other than it melted off the butts nicely cause of the fat in it. I'm thinking ketchup would aid in bark creation with all the sugar in it.
I mostly use olive oil. Not the best "bark" but color is always great. I think the mop or spray you use helps also.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
K I N G P I N
Full Fledged Farker

I slather my pork and beef in regular French's mustard or Chipotle mustard. It' helps hold the rub on.

Yesterday I ran out of apple juice, so I mixed 1 12 oz DAB beer, cider vinegar and cranapple juice in my spray bottle

WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN
WEBER PERFORMER
FOUR SEASONS GASSER
Yellow thermapen
AKA-Crusty DippinTush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pinsgasser.jpg
K I N G P I N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
bigabyte

I have tried with both real mayo, miracle whip and ketchup. The real mayo one seemed to have a better bark I thought. Ketchup turned out nasty and burnt tasting. Here's a thread I have on it. Granted, it is not so much a Bark Texture experiment as it is a taste experiment.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36204

Ooops, wrong link. the one with mayo, miracle whip and ketchup in it is this one.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18492
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.

Last edited by bigabyte; 02-04-2008 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Posted wrong link.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Default MMMMMMMM - Mustard

To me, bark is an important part of pulled-pork. Here in NC if your eating at a Q joint you need to make sure and ask for it or you may not get it.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

In previous discussions the intention of the mustard was to help retain the rub on the meat that is why I always used cheap $hit. and a paint brush to slather it. If you use a squeeze boottle be sure to write FARK on the meat it adds to the pron. Big Al Mod

Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

Well, whatever the slather does or how it does it appears to do something. If I could eat a trough of bark I would, so the better the bark, the happier I am.

I had the flat on the hot side of the smoker and the fire did get away from me a couple of times and pushed to the high 200's for a short burst a 2-3 times. I think that did it in. Just too hot I think. I'll try it again soon.
itschris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
Divemaster

I found that on my short ribs the mustard helps with a GREAT bark but I think that the flavors cook off over the long cook...

Other wise it use it mostly to keep the rub on... I do admit that I have a mop sauce (vinegar, Dijon mustard, & black pepper) that goes on my pork butts

I have heard that Real Mayo is supposed to be good on chicken to tenderize the skin so it's not a chewey...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
jestridge

I always usee mustard don't know if it help or not.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote