The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

View Poll Results: Would you participate in KCBS Telephone Conference Board Meetings
Yes 28 70.00%
No 8 20.00%
I am not a member of KCBS 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #16
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
I also voted no, as a regular user of conference calls, sometimes with up to 15 people, it is not the best medium, IMHO. Instead a pod cast/mp3 cast/transcrition on the website, soemthing I can access at my convenience would be best for me. But that's me. Scott

i absolutely and steadfastly disagree that teleconferencing is not effective. In my job, I live by the teleconference. I use teleconferencing technology DAILY, with staffing all over the country. We have major, and i mean MAJOR presentations done, with hundreds of people via netmeeting and teleconferencing. Major corporations use it consistently and it is a necessity. It can be set up where one person has the floor at a time and effective and efficient meetings can be done if all co-operate, or it can be run in full open mode where you can hear the shouting matches.

PODcasting may be fine to just listen in, but there is no way it can handle a give and take. Podcasts is a good addition to a meeting and cost nearly nothing as long as they have decent bandwidth.. chit, we Broadcast bashes so members can watch a bunch of fat guys drink and it costs nothing.

however... If you want to talk, and be heard, you need to get in on the meeting. I also think(someone correct me if Im wrong) members who are in KC and nearby can attend and listen in for free.

If KCBS has the members 'signup' prior to the meeting if they want the floor, they can update the agenda for member slots and each person who signed up to speak can get a few minutes "timed". this can help plan the meeting times too.

This is an oppourtunity to have people attend the board meeting from anywhere, for nominal fees. More importantly, it is an opportunity to come forth and let the BOD know we DO give a chit about whats happening. There is strength in numbers. If this starts getting shot full of holes before its even implemented then we loose again.

The option is a free if you live in KC, or few bucks to attend via teleconf, or airfare to fly there and attend for free, or pay nothing/do nothing/say nothing.

So, if the answer is, you wont pay to sit in on the board meeting does that mean your going to pay the airfare and hotel bill to fly there, or you just wont attend and let things stay status quo?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Phil, I have no doubt it can be done. Professionals used to handling the nuances of a conference call probably make it a much more professionally organized event. From my perspective, it was very difficult to handle all those folks at once trying to "discuss" issues. I agree with the earlier post that a decision as to whether this is a listening event or a participation event. If participation, I think amateurs (like most of the people I've had on conference calls) are going to find the teleconference a difficult format. But not sure that all members need to comment. Therefore a method to listen, at my convenience, would be beneficial. Scott

As I write this though, i have participated in medical conference calls with many people. Messages we relayed to the "forum" via another call in number or by dialing a certain code which would connect you with someone who would record and ask the question. S
1 Weber Gold Series Grill
1 WSM
1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #18
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

This stuff is not cheap. We looked into a monthly broker meeting with web and teleconference capabilities and for 40 people, it was going to cost us around $750 per month for ONE meeting and that was WITH the discount they offered us. If anyone has a cheap alternative you know of, please PM me with the info. I could use a feather in my cap with the damned boss right now.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #19
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
Phil, I have no doubt it can be done. Professionals used to handling the nuances of a conference call probably make it a much more professionally organized event. From my perspective, it was very difficult to handle all those folks at once trying to "discuss" issues. I agree with the earlier post that a decision as to whether this is a listening event or a participation event. If participation, I think amateurs (like most of the people I've had on conference calls) are going to find the teleconference a difficult format. But not sure that all members need to comment. Therefore a method to listen, at my convenience, would be beneficial. Scott

As I write this though, i have participated in medical conference calls with many people. Messages we relayed to the "forum" via another call in number or by dialing a certain code which would connect you with someone who would record and ask the question. S
One thing we do today at my work is - there's a call with an associated live meeting. We use lotus notes products but let me look at a couple of things. I'm pretty good at finding economical solutions.

Yak's comments are right. You don't want people talking on the call because then you have muting issues, etc. A live meting would solve that problem. Essentially use MS IM to post concerns, etc. Even so it should be taped and posted to the website for those that can't attend.
Unread 02-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #20
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
i absolutely and steadfastly disagree that teleconferencing is not effective. In my job, I live by the teleconference. I use teleconferencing technology DAILY, with staffing all over the country. We have major, and i mean MAJOR presentations done, with hundreds of people via netmeeting and teleconferencing. Major corporations use it consistently and it is a necessity. It can be set up where one person has the floor at a time and effective and efficient meetings can be done if all co-operate, or it can be run in full open mode where you can hear the shouting matches.

PODcasting may be fine to just listen in, but there is no way it can handle a give and take. Podcasts is a good addition to a meeting and cost nearly nothing as long as they have decent bandwidth.. chit, we Broadcast bashes so members can watch a bunch of fat guys drink and it costs nothing.

however... If you want to talk, and be heard, you need to get in on the meeting. I also think(someone correct me if Im wrong) members who are in KC and nearby can attend and listen in for free.

If KCBS has the members 'signup' prior to the meeting if they want the floor, they can update the agenda for member slots and each person who signed up to speak can get a few minutes "timed". this can help plan the meeting times too.

This is an oppourtunity to have people attend the board meeting from anywhere, for nominal fees. More importantly, it is an opportunity to come forth and let the BOD know we DO give a chit about whats happening. There is strength in numbers. If this starts getting shot full of holes before its even implemented then we loose again.

The option is a free if you live in KC, or few bucks to attend via teleconf, or airfare to fly there and attend for free, or pay nothing/do nothing/say nothing.

So, if the answer is, you wont pay to sit in on the board meeting does that mean your going to pay the airfare and hotel bill to fly there, or you just wont attend and let things stay status quo?
Phil, I am in the same boat as you. I spend almost 9 hours a day on conference calls in conjunction with messaging and agendas.

Google and Microsoft support group chats. On my team I have a full time microsoft consultant who I can ask about the live meeting and chat. It could solve the problem. I think it would be a formula like any board meeting - Each agenda item would be covered and people would queue up in person or via chat. One person would moderate the queue and then that person would have specific amount of time like you said Phil.

The other option is that I work with someone who hosts voice/messaging chat for large groups and he might be willing to host it or the same open source software could work.

It could be limited to a preregistration only for capacity reasons just like a building would be. If the turn out was significantly higher than expected and a higher cost was required than budgeted then a donation would be asked for or the number would be reduced to those who registered the earliest or donated the amount.
Unread 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #21
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

I voted for the Board members and expect them to act in a manor that will promote the KCSB I also voted to pay (small fee) to allow me to listen and if I must speak, however I would not expect to speak unless things were really crazy. So I like the open Idea and do not fuss about what I do not have. Thanks for trying to make it better I will if at all possible attend when I can!
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #22
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

I personally wouldn't pay to listen to the BOD meetings, actually I probably wouldn't listen if I didn't have to pay...so long as the minutes are available on the web site after the meetings.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #23
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
I personally wouldn't pay to listen to the BOD meetings, actually I probably wouldn't listen if I didn't have to pay...so long as the minutes are available on the web site after the meetings.
I find the minutes published in the BullSheet are not very informative. There is very little substance to any discussions taking place. Maybe it's by design.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #24
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I voted no for the simple fact of finding the time to be on a conference call, I personally do not have a problem with a nominal charge if I were to get on the call. Since I live in KC if I did have a serious issue that I wanted to raise I would make plans to attend the board meeting. Having said that I would also appreciate it if there were a pod cast or transcript of the meeting avaliable online after the meeting so I could see what was discussed and what decisions were made and why.

Butts A Fire BBQ Team

NB Bandera
Webber Kettle
Backwoods Party
Pro Q Excel 20
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote