The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
How well does 1000 island set as a glaze?
Shoot. I don't know. I have no data on 1000 Island as a glaze. Besides, all I have on hand is Paul Newman's 2000 Island Dressing. Since it has twice as many islands as all the other dressings it probably would behave differently.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #17
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

How about a "Philly Phatty"

Ground beef, grilled onions, green peppers, and cheeeese.

Nate
Weber Ranch Kettle
BBQ070 (Lil Tex)
BBQ075 (Texas)
UDS
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #18
bigabyte

Not such a bad idea really. I am cooking 3 other fatties this weekend, 2 JD regular with just rub on them, and 1 stuffed with chiles, cheese and sun-dried tomatoes and rubbed with chili powder. Hoping to hit kind of a chili-cheese theme with that one, even though it's JD regular breakfast sausage. I didn't really consider those other 3 experimental though, so I didn't mention them initially.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!

Unread 02-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #19
bigabyte

I fried up a sample of the Jimmy Dean with Tender Quick to see how it tastes. It was salty, not too salty, but definitely salty. Almost as salty as Spam, but not quite. It turned a nice pink color throughout and the flavor was different, either because of all the added salt or the curing, not sure which. I am thinking I will add in some Maple Syrup to counteract the saltiness before rubbing it and putting it on the Smoker!

Unread 02-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #20
bigabyte

The fatties are on. The cured Jimmy Dean wnet on a little over an hour ago, and the Corned Beef Hash one went on about 20 minutes ago. I did not get a photo of the cured one, but with the rub it looked no different from a normal fatty. I did not put rub on the Corned Beef Hash fatty after all. Here's a pic of the Corned Beef Hash Fatty.

Unread 02-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #21
K I N G P I N
Full Fledged Farker

When do you work????
I spent the whole day doing my few things for tomorrow. I am effin wiped.
Yellow thermapen
AKA-Crusty DippinTush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pinsgasser.jpg
K I N G P I N is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
bigabyte

I had my rubs pre-made earlier this week. I prepped the Beef Sausage meat and the Cured Fatty on Thursday night. I prepped the Corned Beef meat on Friday during lunchtime (I was lucky to fit that in). today it was about 5 straight hours of work getting the WSM's going, running to the store to get last minute things, prepping the chucks, rubbing the Spam, stuffing the fatty, rubbing the fatties, rolling the Sausage, foiling the Spam and finishing the Spam. I just finished slicing the Spam, starting the Burnt ends, getting the photos online and updating the threads.

Unread 02-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #23
fnnm358
is One Chatty Farker

Oh the love of a fatty it is endless to what you can make.

THE SKY IS THE LIMIT i guess

Unread 02-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #24
bigabyte

The fatties are long done, sliced, pictures taken, and thoughts recorded. Here is how it went.

Here is the Corned Beef Hash Fatty after coming off the smoker, and then sliced.

I did not really like this fatty. I don't think I would make it again. It was not gross, it was edible, but that's about all I can say for it. I'm not sure what went wrong exactly. It was a little dry, but all in all it did not taste so much like corned beef, more like pastrami. This makes sense because it was smoked. However, for whatever reason even the pastrami did not taste so great, maybe because of the onion and potato. Or maybe the recipe is not so good. I got the recipe for the corned beef from Morton's website and adapted it to this fatty recipe. It is kind of a shame because I had somewhat high hopes for this one. However, those hopes and dreams now lie smashed.

So let's move on to the next experimental fatty then, the cured Jimmy Dean fatty. Here are photos after coming off the smoker, and then sliced.

As you can tell, it is pink throughout causing no smoke ring. The taste was like a fairly salty fatty, and the taste of the breakfast sausage was apparent but different, kind of hammy in a way. It was good. It would be better if the salt level would be lower. Perhaps if the sausage was homemade and the salt replaced with Tender Quick it would be even better. This stuff is good how it is but could be better if less salty.

So this experiment had one bad fatty, and one that is definitely worth further testing.

Unread 02-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #25
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Chris, they sure look awsome...but you did the taste test so have to learn from what you learned. Did that make cents?

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #26
BBQ Grail

I have serious fatty envy! Corned beef fatty. What an amazing idea. So if you smoke a corned beef fatty do you get a pastrami fatty?

I've just got to try that one...

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #27
BobBrisket

Hash and eggs is fantastic as it is..................but a hash fatty? My farking cholesterol just shot up a couple hundred points. That's a must try!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #28
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
I have serious fatty envy! Corned beef fatty. What an amazing idea. So if you smoke a corned beef fatty do you get a pastrami fatty?

I've just got to try that one...
It definitely had more of a pastrami flavor. It could be the kind of meat. I used ground chuck, perhaps I should use ground brisket next time?

I may try something similar again, but keep it simply corned beef and not try to do the hash thing. That way I can get a better starting point to work from. With this one I did I can't be sure what went wrong. It was fun trying though!

I also cosnidered for another variation of hash fatty, getting that canned hash stuff and forming into a fatty. I would think homemade would be best of course, but at least this way I could get a baseline to work from.

Unread 02-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #29
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
It definitely had more of a pastrami flavor. It could be the kind of meat. I used ground chuck, perhaps I should use ground brisket next time?

I may try something similar again, but keep it simply corned beef and not try to do the hash thing. That way I can get a better starting point to work from. With this one I did I can't be sure what went wrong. It was fun trying though!

I also cosnidered for another variation of hash fatty, getting that canned hash stuff and forming into a fatty. I would think homemade would be best of course, but at least this way I could get a baseline to work from.
You have inspired me!

Here's what I'm thinking. Ground up corned beef brisket. Might have to throw a little extra fat in if it's too lean. Next weekend. I'm sure the butcher would grind it up for me. (Unless the kids come through for me with the meat grinder for my birthday)

I'm getting hungry already.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote