ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4
Default Your opinions. Mentoring Program.

Kingpins post reminded me of something I have been thinking about for a while and alredy discused in the past with some of you.

Where are we..... From the Backyard to the American Royal. Some History.

Thats a brief description of a piece of our current charter I envisioned years ago when our group started getting involved in competition BBQ. We were a happy bunch of backyarders at the time, with little or no experience in competition BBQ.

As we grew, seasoned competitors began to join us and enlightened us to the world of Competitive BBQ. Some of us stayed in our original paths improving our backyard fares and others decided to venture off and try their hands at competition. So we(our members) were ranging From the Backyard to the American Royal.

Somewhere along the lines, that tag line took on a double meaning.. the second being the journey of our rookie teams From the Backyard TO the American Royal.

<jump ahead....>

I remember when arriving at one of my earlier competitions, 3rd, maybe forth time out, when I pulled into the venue, I saw names like DrBBQ, Dirty Dick, Philly Pigs and Daisy Mays. My first thought was "Aww chit..look who's here. There goes any of my chances" for a walk.

I took 3rd overall in that contest behind Drbbq and Dirty Dick. ... Which led to the line of 'Any given day'...any one of us can walk.

Sometime later, as I was working on our artwork I envisioned someone pulling into a contest and seeing our banner flying on someones tent and them having the same feeling i did when I saw some of the big names. "Aw chit, its A Brethren"... thats where the tag line came from.. "Fear the Pig".

Now, I feel our emblem is not a symbol of Competition BBQ, but a symbol of the BBQ Ambassadors. Yes, one day in someones mind, it may symbolize one of the elite as they arrive at a contest as say 'aw chit".., but it will always be a group of friends, family, enthusiasts and those people willing to share, help in the overall promotion of the art of BBQ, whether it be in the Backyard or the American Royal.

so heres is something I propose(taking a page from NEBS and other organizations). The BBQ Brethren Mentoring Program.

We have plenty of teams here, many flying our colors. Lets drive to help the new guys out.. ....those that are considering taking the plunge but are unsure. All they may need is to try one contest to make that decisions.

I will set up a catagory in the Competition Forum for teams to sign up as mentors, and members to look for places to start out. It will be seperated form the other competition stuff.

This can come under a few guises.

1 - Teams can actually sign up to mentor by just starting a thread with your team bio and location and maybe the contests you plan to cook if u know them.
or
they can just be looking for someone to help. If that someone has little or no experience, guess what? Its mentoring.

I would think that once a team starts a thread, they can just add to it for there own Mentoring history.

2 - Members can post looking to join, or tag along with a team or post their experiences to help others trying to decide.

3 - Teams can merge, cook together to offset costs, or relieve stress, free up time, etc..

We can make it what we want. I am not expecting a huge amount of activity, but it will help centralize and organize the concept and make it easier for it to take off.

This is an idea in its infancy that i have discussed with a few members in the past and have not had a chance to implement.. KINGPIN lit the fire.. good job!!

Now.. lets discuss. .we're open for suggestions, or just a dumb idea?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Sounds good to me!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think it's a great idea. I'd love to be mentored out here on the West Coast...

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

I think its a great idea.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Sledneck
Time Out

I would love to mentor 13th place chicken
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We would be willing to mentor anyone who has a name ending in "ski".....just kidding. I think it is a wonderful idea and we would be willing to mentor. Why not start another section of the board called Mentors. Give each Mentoring Team a thread labeled with the Team Name and location. The newby can post in the Team Name/ location Thread of his choosing to request mentoring.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I have always viewed the Brethren Banner as a " Welcome Mat ", a home so to speak where you can always find a handshake, a beer, a good laugh and a wealth of information. I have never hesitated to approach a team flying the banner knowing that I would be greeted with a warm welcome.

Team Q has mentored in the past. It was amazing how people who really want to improve their BBQ will absorb as much knowledge as they can and turn around and do extremely well at their next contest. Watching them get their walk is the pay off. I would encourage all the Brethren who compete regularly to help with the mentoring program.

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I would love to mentor 13th place chicken
Hi Sled! Nice to see you! We've missed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
We would be willing to mentor anyone who has a name ending in "ski".....
Our family name was Lewandowski until my grandfather changed it. Does that count?

OK... Back on topic. I think it's a great idea. Many of us do this informally already. A forum for teams to offer mentoring or rookies looking for a mentor would be great. Maybe there should be another forum (or subforum) for guys looking for teams or teams looking for members.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

I would echo Phil I know from a hard fought weekend with two good friends that all it takes is once to get the bug. Slow to act but would gladly pay my dues by learning then mentoring. This is why I voted great concept Phil. Thanks
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

Another awesome vision from our Fearless Leader Phil Rizzardi!

Welcome to the greatest forum on the planet.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.
Founding member of Operation Bbq Relief.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

I think it is a Great idea!!!! I too remember going to my first contest and taking a look around and thinking "what in the world have I gotten us into". Fortunatley there was alot of "seasoned" competitors that made a point of introducing themselves and saying if there's anything you need or have any questions just ask....I was blown away at their generosity. I am still new on the scene, and still learning, but if I saw a new team at a comp, I would defintley say howdy and let them know if they needed somthing or had a question I could answer, not to hesitate.

Great Idea Poobah....I say pass it foward!!!

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
ggriffi
Full Fledged Farker

Phil,

This is a great idea. For us anyway, we could probably fit all the categories,(mentoring,needing mentoring, looking for team mates). I'll keep watch for the new category

"BassAckwards Bar B Q Co."

PCC 24"X48" Backyard Smoker
Weber Q100
44 qt Bayou Classic
Sears 4 burner gasser w/rotisserie
Weber kettle
Bookers and Coke

I refuse to kiss anything that uses its tongue for toilet paper
ggriffi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Anyone that wants to mentor me near KC, just let me know when and where. Like anything else, the more I've learned, the more I realize their's more to learn.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like a great Idea to me I know it would have been real helpful a couple of years ago when I started competing.

Butts A Fire BBQ Team

NB Bandera
Webber Kettle
Backwoods Party
Pro Q Excel 20
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I concur. Great idea. This is what makes this pursuit (sport?) so great. I haven't met a nicer bunch of folks as the teams that compete.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote