The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #31
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSmoker View Post
Now that has me thinking As a small biz owner, can I sponsor myself and then write it off on the business side? Sounds like time to call my CPA
We do. B&B BBQ and Catering, llc, pays the bills and we in turn consider it advertising and promotion. I'm married to my CPA.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #32
Sledneck
Time Out

I married a sugar momma
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #33
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSmoker View Post
Now that has me thinking As a small biz owner, can I sponsor myself and then write it off on the business side? Sounds like time to call my CPA
I always invite customers from the trash biz to attend and feed them
The our new catering biz is a easy way to cover expenses

And yes we do keep the Trash biz and the Catering seperated LOL

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #34
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

We only did one last year, our first and really enjoyed ourselves, my son and I. I paid for it out of my pocket. We do a couple private parties here and there, and that helps. Don't compete too get rich and famous, but to see where we stacked up against the rest.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #35
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

There are 5 of us on the team (not all attend every contest) and we did 14 contests last year. Out total cost, excluding personal stuff (like alcohol $$) we spent $6,900. Our net costs after winnings was $2,650 so our net cost per contest was between $30 and $50 depending on how many and which contests we were all at.

We had a good year last year but never got a GC but all those 2nds, 3rds, etc. add up.

Hope we are as lucky this year because without winnings it would get expensive.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #36
Que'inKC
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm new to this (never have competed), and after reading all the contents it seems to me you could probably spend as much or as little as you wanted to depending on what you do. What I mean is your obviously going to have some expenses you can't get out of, such as entrance fee's, meat, fuel, misc supplies...

I've read stuff before that there are teams that smoke 10 racks of ribs and only turn in what looks best...

I might not know what I'm talking about (probably don't) but I think you can get buy pretty inexpensively if you are efficient...

WSM w/Mods
22" Weber Kettle - Gold
Country Smoker CS-450
KCBS Member #24405
CBJ #24405
[B]R Butts R Smokin Comp Team
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
[/B]
Que'inKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #37
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que'inKC View Post
I might not know what I'm talking about (probably don't) but I think you can get buy pretty inexpensively if you are efficient...
I usually do 2 racks od ribs, 2 butts, 2 briskets . This year i am going to cut back and do one brisket. Just less to deal with. I also pretrim at home. I want to do as little work at a contest as posible. Would rather have fun
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #38
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que'inKC View Post
I'm new to this (never have competed), and after reading all the contents it seems to me you could probably spend as much or as little as you wanted to depending on what you do. What I mean is your obviously going to have some expenses you can't get out of, such as entrance fee's, meat, fuel, misc supplies...

I've read stuff before that there are teams that smoke 10 racks of ribs and only turn in what looks best...

If you have space you should cook as much as you can afford. Especially when you're starting out. As you get consistent you start cooking less. I went from 4 butts to 2, 6 slabs to 3 and 24+ thighs to 10. I still cook 3 or 4 Briskets. Why the extra briskets? Cause it's still nto where I want it to be. Now sometimes I'd like to have a 3rd butt cause it's easy to mess up temps and not have any slices with just 2. More chance for making up for a mistake.

Unread 01-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #39
Mitchelina
Got Wood.

We looked at our costs for the 8 we did last year and figure it's about $350-$400 per comp and it's almost all been out of our pockets. We're one of those teams that cooks 1 brisket, 1 butt, 2 racks of ribs and a package of chicken. And hopefully it all turns out.

We keep our costs down by loading up the deep freeze when our meats go one sale, which helps. Spices and sauce fixins we buy in bulk. Contests are mostly local and $150 or under. We'd love to do the Royal but for what it costs we never will until we qualify for the invitational. We're not big drinkers or partiers and we're not buying cases of beer and making a meal for everyone on Friday night. Since we don't take off work on Fridays, we're working on Friday night and might grab a Subway sandwich between 9 and 11 p.m.

We're about to go sponsor hunting... but mostly, this is our hobby. We call it "camping with a purpose". And we still have a GREAT time!
Mitchelina is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #40
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I am as broke as the next guy. All expenses come out of pocket, and i spend anywhere from $600-$800 per contest, depending on location. I do about 8 a year. The very first thing i look for in a contest is prize money. Not because i'm a greedy bastard, is because i want a shot to make my money back so i can afford to compete again. if i feel i can go to a contest and get a couple of good calls and make back over at least $300-$400 I'll consider it.. i also look at all the other same variables everyone else does. Luckily, i was a little ahead for 2007.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #41
Juggy D Beerman
On the road to being a farker

My brother and I cook about five or six contests a year including that $1000.oo weekend they call the American Royal. The other contests we cook are within a two hour drive for either of us. We cook two butts, two briskets, three slabs of back ribs, and twelve chicken thighs. Our meat bill is usually around $100.oo per contest. We spend more on lettuce and parsley than we do on chicken.

I figure with entry fees, gas, meat bills, charcoal, ice, spices, sauces, marinades and other miscellaneous items as well as our meals and beverages, most contests cost us at least $400.oo per with many running in the $500.oo range. Mark and I split the costs and sometimes we have teammates who chip in.

I would bet that most teams who do cook more than ten contests a year have a sponsorship of some sort. I see a lot of teams that cook 20 contests or more a year have some sort of bbq product out on the market. This is not a judgement by upon my part on these teams - more power to them.

What disappoints me about the direction the KCBS seems to taking is this. These teams with sponsorships and products for sale seem to be the teams the organization is now marketing to. I would bet the overall majority of teams that cook in KCBS contests cook in less than ten contests a year. These are the teams that are the backbone of the KCBS. They are also the teams that are not eligible for ToY.

Lager,

Juggy D Beerman
Juggy D Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #42
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I married a sugar momma
I was thinking of trying what my grandmother used to call "swinging your purse down on the corner", but it occurs to me that I am unlikely to be able to sell what I cannot give away.

I got lucky a couple of years ago and hit the lottery in a small way, which paid for the trailer. Everything else comes out of my pocket with help from the teammates. We have not yet got to the point where we can hope for a check at every contest, but we did pick up a couple last year and they went to paying for a couple of additional contests that we would not otherwise have gone to.

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #43
Tinybud
Take a breath!

In 06 and 07, we did 3 comps each year, Planning on 3 this year, possibly a 4th. Its just my wife and I, with the exception of Dover. The costs are all out of pocket. In 2007, we started our catering business, starting small, but we also use the catering business to sponsor our comp team. I bbq'ed at home for quit a few years, and once I did my first comp in 06, I've been totally hooked on BBQ, and don't even want to think of how much money we've spent on bbq stuff. But it is my hobby, and I won't give it up, its entirely too enjoyable.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #44
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
The majority of teams are not cooking 10-20 events/year and don't have sponsors. Not sure what the avg. # is but I know it is much lower than 10-20 which makes the total cost a lot more palatable to most teams.
We did 4 last year! Even if I had unlimited funds or sponsers, I dont know how I could do 10-20, no way to get that much time off of work.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #45
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy D Beerman View Post
What disappoints me about the direction the KCBS seems to taking is this. These teams with sponsorships and products for sale seem to be the teams the organization is now marketing to. I would bet the overall majority of teams that cook in KCBS contests cook in less than ten contests a year. These are the teams that are the backbone of the KCBS. They are also the teams that are not eligible for ToY.

Lager,

Juggy D Beerman
IBCA is looking better all the time.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote