The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Berks BBQ Bash Leesport PA

I just got an email from the radio station that sposered the competition last year, looks like they are going to try and get KCBS sanctioning and will be held 7/18 + 7/19. this place was the chit!!lots of trees a creek you could fish in..They will be formally announcing it shortly. WideSpread won GC last year. A good time was had by all!!

Unread 01-26-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
I just got an email from the radio station that sposered the competition last year, looks like they are going to try and get KCBS sanctioning and will be held 7/18 + 7/19. this place was the chit!!lots of trees a creek you could fish in..They will be formally announcing it shortly. WideSpread won GC last year. A good time was had by all!!
Midnight Smokers took GC. Widespread took RGC. By .0002 of a point. Trust me on this, I have reason to know.

I had emailed Tom to ask if the contest would be held this year, but hadn't heard back. We'll definitely make this one if they hold it.

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

who's the contact for this. Tom?

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I got word from the radio station, it is a go. They are appling for kcsb sactioning. Tom will probably be the contact. Sorry I was wrong Jon was right behind Midnite Smokers. I remember introducing myself to you Masque, didnt talk much as I was down on the other end. I was witha buddy Rob, this year some guy named Red is gonna lend a hand (and probably show me a ton or 2). THINK SPRING!!!

Sal

Unread 01-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Tinybud
Take a breath!

Have to sign up for this one, judged it last year, but would like to compete at this one. Keep us posted on when and who to contact. Thanks
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
widespread
Full Fledged Farker

We'll be there. Have to bring my calculator to make sure Brian doesn't try to make up .00002 points on me somewhere.
btw, 7/19 is my birthday so be ready for whatever
KCBS CBJ #22109
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association

FEC100 Righthanded, FEC100 Lefthanded
Meadow Creek PR72 Pig cooker
wsm & Weber kettle
widespread is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

This sounds like a nice comp to enter. I would like to do it, but I've never done back to back week comps as Stevensvile is the week after. I like Stevensville, but you guys make this one sound very cooker friendly also.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
widespread
Full Fledged Farker

This is the polar opposite of Stevensville. It's in a nice grove with shade and a creek, not a gravel lot. Running water, real bathrooms. Even a water park.
Tom and Red did a great job last year, put it together in only a few weeks.
KCBS CBJ #22109

wsm & Weber kettle

Unread 01-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
nancee
is one Smokin' Farker

It is my birthday also and it sounds like a fun contest. Please let me know if it is going to happen.
Nancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by widespread View Post
We'll be there. Have to bring my calculator to make sure Brian doesn't try to make up .00002 points on me somewhere.
btw, 7/19 is my birthday so be ready for whatever
nancee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

same weekend as wildwood. so if we don't get in their we will be here.

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by widespread View Post
This is the polar opposite of Stevensville. It's in a nice grove with shade and a creek, not a gravel lot. Running water, real bathrooms. Even a water park.
Tom and Red did a great job last year, put it together in only a few weeks.

Jon, I was planning on trying the Stevensville comp this year, judging from your post, I gather its an all gravel lot, was there no running water? shade? bathrooms? help a brother out, is this one to miss? I hope not, it fits my schedule well.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
Jon, I was planning on trying the Stevensville comp this year, judging from your post, I gather its an all gravel lot, was there no running water? shade? bathrooms? help a brother out, is this one to miss? I hope not, it fits my schedule well.
George,

Stevensville is held in a parking lot in Love Park. There is one side of the lot that backs to trees. They truck in the water, so you need to fill your buckets from a large tank. The bathroom leaves a little to be desired. The organizers are great and it supports the Special Olympics. This will be the third year, and it has improved since it's inception. While not the ideal comp, they do have some good teams there.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
George,
Not sure what the other posters concerns about Stevensville were. Stevensville was a good comp. Last year was only their second year and they are still learning. The comp is held in the parking lot of a park with ball fields etc. (Love Point Park). Parts were gravel and I believe some parts were paved. The gravel didn't strike me as a problem whick is why it doesn't jump out at me. Water was available at water stations and you had to go get it. Some spots had shade but not a lot. There were some real bathrooms if you knew where to find them as well as porta-pots. You see similar issues at other contests.
I received the information on the comp last week and they listed a lot of things they are trying to improve like having water more accessible, better cooks breakfast, etc. They are also working on a state championship proclamation. The key is they are working hard to make it better each year. All proceeds benefit the Maryland Special Olympics.
While I'm sure Leesport is a great comp, but, I wouldn't discount Stevensville. Not every comp can be in a perfect setting.
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #14
widespread
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not putting the Stevensville comp down at all. It benefits a great cause and as you said, they are looking for ways to make it better. I'll be there again this year. "Not every comp can be in a perfect setting." Just said that Leesport was a better setting in comparison.
KCBS CBJ #22109

wsm & Weber kettle

Unread 01-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the info fellows.

Bill- if you have the enrty form as a pdf file could you bump it over my way when you get a chance? thanks.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote