oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
Wizards of 'Que
On the road to being a farker

Default Does KCBS have an Offical Definition...

of BBQ?

Home of Big Red, "the Manly Man" cooker and
Ole Hickory SDL-x, FE 100, Backwoods Fatboy
Wizards of 'Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Here is what I found.

12) Bureaucratese. According to the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 9, Chapter III, Part 319, Subpart C, Section 319.80, revised: 1/1/1985 "Barbecued meats, such as product labeled 'Beef Barbecue' or 'Barbecued Pork' shall be cooked by the direct action of dry heat resulting from the burning of hard wood or the hot coals therefrom for a sufficient period to assume the usual characteristics of a barbecued article, which include the formation of a brown crust on the surface and the rendering of surface fat. The product may be basted with a sauce during the cooking process. The weight of barbecued meat shall not exceed 70 percent of the weight of the fresh uncooked meat." This is the definition used by the rules of the Kansas City Barbecue Society (KCBS).

Source: Click Here
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Wizards of 'Que
On the road to being a farker

This definition seems makes panning, steaming, wrapping in foil illegal. None of the practices use "the direct action of dry heat".

Home of Big Red, "the Manly Man" cooker and
Ole Hickory SDL-x, FE 100, Backwoods Fatboy
Wizards of 'Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
Here is what I found.

12) Bureaucratese. According to the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 9, Chapter III, Part 319, Subpart C, Section 319.80, revised: 1/1/1985 "Barbecued meats, such as product labeled 'Beef Barbecue' or 'Barbecued Pork' shall be cooked by the direct action of dry heat resulting from the burning of hard wood or the hot coals therefrom for a sufficient period to assume the usual characteristics of a barbecued article, which include the formation of a brown crust on the surface and the rendering of surface fat. The product may be basted with a sauce during the cooking process. The weight of barbecued meat shall not exceed 70 percent of the weight of the fresh uncooked meat." This is the definition used by the rules of the Kansas City Barbecue Society (KCBS).

Source: Click Here
I do not beleive this is a KCBS definition. Iv'e never seen it in any material from the KCBS. This is a direct quote from some FDA or USDA federal agency. Not sure which one but I've seen it before.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
I do not beleive this is a KCBS definition. Iv'e never seen it in any material from the KCBS. This is a direct quote from some FDA or USDA federal agency. Not sure which one but I've seen it before.

It came from this site:

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...e_defined.html

The person that quoted it posted the link.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote