The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cool down time.

(I wasn't sure if this was a competition question or a Q-Talk, so I put it here.)

After a competition, how long do you have from turn in to leaving the grounds and have you ever had to load a still hot smoker into your trailer?
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

That's up to you. We kill the pellet pit at 1:30 and are ready to roll as soon as awards are over. On the old offset, we let the fire die down, rake out the coals around 4, wash up, go to awards, and then leave. Still hot, but nothing burning.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The awards ceremony is usually 2 to 3 hours after the last turn-in at 1:30. We usually finish with the cooker by noon (butts and briskets are resting in our Cambro). We usually empty whatever ash or embers are left in the smoker into our ash can and hose it down and dump it in the ash facility then clean our ash can. They usually do not let you leave until the public has left the contest grounds and you probably have until dark to vacate.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I have not had any instances where I did not have enough time for my smokers to cool before having to load them, which is normally after the awards ceremony. My normal routine is to open all the doors and everything up as soon as I am done cooking normally around 12:30 and letting the fire burn out then load up everything after the awards ceremony.

Butts A Fire BBQ Team

NB Bandera
Webber Kettle
Backwoods Party
Pro Q Excel 20
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
That's up to you. We kill the pellet pit at 1:30 and are ready to roll as soon as awards are over. On the old offset, we let the fire die down, rake out the coals around 4, wash up, go to awards, and then leave. Still hot, but nothing burning.
Same here. Turn it off and go home. When I use the stick burner, I always time it to let it burn out by the time awards is over. It is usually about out. I just just it up and roll.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

With the Backwoods, I can have my smoker back down to air temp in 20 minutes - dump the coals, open the doors and drain the water.

Trying newly built cabinet/countertop set ups on casters (see pic, bad but you get the idea) this year to see if they save time setting up and tearing down. The drawers will screw shut for travel. We made two identical.

Pile up the dirty dishes in a cooler with hot/warm water and soap and let them a agitate on the way home so they are fairly clean/well not filthy when putting into the dishwasher.

That pretty much leaves the canopy to tear down and a few totes to pack. Hoping to have some time to sit back and relax a bit before the awards. The first year was too much chit to load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg counter.jpg (55.3 KB, 54 views)
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

I have the backwoods as well and have no problems leaving right after awards. We tear down and wash all the dishes and pack up the RV. A bag of dirty laundry and two coolers are pulled out when we get home. Some stay around to shoot the chit, but you should have enough time to tear down and clean up between last turn in and awards.

Brian in so cal has loaded a hot WSM before, but he didn't like the results. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33499
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote