Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
is One Chatty Farker
Default Holidays are over time to build a UDS

Learned alot this month with a visit to Norcoredneck and Smoookin. One question that have failed to ask so far is "does the outside paint on a new or used drum burn off when you fire these babies up?"

I know about burning out the inside, but do not recall any talk about the outside. The thing that got me thinking about this is the pic from Scudrunr of the yellow salvage drum that he started with and the black finished drum.
aka Barbarian

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
is one Smokin' Farker

With a good fire going on the inside, you'll burn off the outside paint too. Good luck with your project.......and don't forget the pics!
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.
SmokeWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
is one Smokin' Farker

when I burned mine out the paint on the outside turned more into a powder, which I just sanded off. No problem whatsoever.
Large BGE
UDS x 2
Weber 22.5" kettle
Chargriller SnP

U.F.U.C. Blue Thermapen!
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
somebody shut me the fark up.

I did an butt/picnic overnighter and planned to do ribs and chickens later on during the day, so I dumped a chimney of unlit lump on top of the lit coals, left the lid off and walked away for a half hour-big mistake! Temp pegged at over 500* and the bottom third of the drum had burnt off the Hi-temp paint!
Brian - Left Hand Smoke BBQ PNWBA 2010 Team of the Year
BGE's/WSM's/Pellet Pro WSM/BWS Gater/BDS Clones/Cookshack 008/Weber Performer w EZ-Que/Cajun Bandit/Rib-O-Lator Test Pilot/La Caja China/BBQ Guru/Weber 1000 RK Drum Coffee Roaster
Follow Left Hand Smoke on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-H...462391?sk=wall
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Babbling Farker
Default Fire Good

When you burn out the inside, the outside will take care of itself.
Average Joe Backyard Enthusiast

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote