The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Things I've Never Tried

So I have a week off and my plan has been to cook things Ive never tried before. Feel free to add your own ideas, either for me to cook or things you tried for the first time.

Started yesterday with "chicken lollypops", followed by short ribs sandwiches topped with my first attempt at pickled red onions and some other stuff. Woke up this morning to my first batch of home made gravlax on bagels.

Tomorrow is home made bacon day....
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Last edited by SmokeInDaEye; 05-15-2012 at 12:17 PM..
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Looks great and sounds like you're off to a good start.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Ummmm . . . . what is gravlax?

Good luck with the bacon. We make home made bacon and love it.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
smokinbadger
Full Fledged Farker

You are off to a very good start!

How did the short ribs come out for you? I almost always find them too greasy for my liking.

What kind of set up are you using for the gravlax? It should be good weather for cold smoking.

Klose Widebody MasterChef * XL BGE * WSM * Weber Performer * La Caja China * Cookshack 055 *
Big Stainless Gasser *
smokinbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah, home curing is great. If you haven't done pastrami yet you should give it a try.
I've been using some real chity cheap cuts of veal, beef, and lamb to challenge myself, that always fun. Braised lamb shanks come out great. I do them in the wsm in a disposable pan. I have a whole veal breast in the freezer that I might cook this weekend.
Hey, Clint I'd love that pickled red onion recipe.

Mike

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

From the title of this thread, it could easily need moving into the Woodpile

Custom Southern Yankee rotisserie trailer towed by the 8-Ball RV
Brinkmann Cimarron, Weber One Touch Gold (22.5), Camp Chef 2 burner stove + Griddle, 10, 16 and 20 qt Dutch ovens, Scottims Pit Grille
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking great!!!!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinbadger View Post
You are off to a very good start!

How did the short ribs come out for you? I almost always find them too greasy for my liking.

What kind of set up are you using for the gravlax? It should be good weather for cold smoking.
Short ribs (actually used the big dino beef ribs from Restaurant Depot) were perfect, but I drained a ton of grease right after they were done.

The gravlax were surprisingly easy, no cold smoking just curing.

One boneless salmon filet (got mine from Costco) rubbed with 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 sugar, fresh dill, zest from one orange and 1/4 cup tequila. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in a baking dish. Add weight to the top of the wrapped salmon (I used a cast iron skillet) and refrigerate for 48 hours. Remove, rinse well and slice thin.

Served them with bagels, cream cheese, pickled onions, etc. yesterday morning and made a salmon dip with some of it.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Old 12-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside Smoker View Post
Yeah, home curing is great. If you haven't done pastrami yet you should give it a try.
I've been using some real chity cheap cuts of veal, beef, and lamb to challenge myself, that always fun. Braised lamb shanks come out great. I do them in the wsm in a disposable pan. I have a whole veal breast in the freezer that I might cook this weekend.
Hey, Clint I'd love that pickled red onion recipe.

Mike
My BB Bacon cure didn't come today so have to do the bacon tomorrow. Making smoked oyster chowder tonight instead.

Those pickled onions are crazy good! 1.5# red onion, thinly sliced, 1.5 tspn salt, 1/2 tspn dried oregano, 1 cup lime juice, 12 cup white vinegar mixed together (I added a dried chipotle pepper) in a large ziplock with most of the air removed. Refrigerate over night. Drain and eat.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
sterlingsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

For me it's lamb, tri-tip and plank salmon as well as some others too numerous to mention.
Maybe I'll get to some of these as I go through 08. I just love my pork,beef and chicken too much. Those types of meat keep me busy. The family loves em as well!!

Cookshack 008
2-WSM
2-UDS
Bar-B-Chef offset
sterlingsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Those pickled onions are crazy good! 1.5# red onion, thinly sliced, 1.5 tspn salt, 1/2 tspn dried oregano, 1 cup lime juice, 12 cup white vinegar mixed together (I added a dried chipotle pepper) in a large ziplock with most of the air removed. Refrigerate over night. Drain and eat.
I fell in love with pickled onions in Bermuda a few years ago. They use it everywhere on that island. It's a great condiment and goes well with just about anything. Try some on some pan seared sea bass, its just the right crunch and acid for that fish.

Mike

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

What did you think of the lolipops? Was it worth the work?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
What did you think of the lolipops? Was it worth the work?
After a trimming a few, I got pretty fast at it. The guests loved them. Rubbed them with Yardbird, wrapped with bacon then smoked for a couple hours on makeshift racks (cut "x"s in the bottom of disposable pans and stuck chix bones through). Served with a homemade blue cheese dressing.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
sampson
is one Smokin' Farker

OK, tell me more about the lollipops. Is there a thread on them here somewhere???
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]KCBS Member and CBJ[/FONT]
sampson is offline   Reply With Quote