oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
AzQer
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS and Galvanized

I realize there are issues with Galvanized and heat and putting off a harmfull vapor. So here is my question, for the intake pipe and plugs can this be Galvinazed and also the 2" exhaust I know with all the brothers here someone will know if I will die from eating the food or is it not as big of an issue in the circumstance. Thanks for the input all it is all appreciated.
SMG Smoker
Treager BBQ100
KCBS CBJ #24174
BBQ Brethren Arizona Chapter
BBQ Brethren Drum Corp
AzQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

I was going to do some mods on my OK Joe's, I.E. Heat deflector and tuning pans. I was told then to never ever use galvanized no matter what or where in your cooker. I have yet to make those mods, so am interested in hearing what some of the others have to say on this topic.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

The rule of thumb goes something like Roo mentioned: Use it nowhere, no matter where it is. Just to be safe.

I don't want to have to say prayers later because some part of you is falling off. :D

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
BobBrisket

Ditto what Arlin said. It ain't worth the risk. I've heard too much nasty stuff about the galvanized to want it anywhere near my food. Better safe than sorry.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Use black pipe instead.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

you can also buy most fittings in stainless(prefered metal for cooking). they will never rust and eliminate any "fumes" issue.
A shout out to some awesome sponsors. The BBQ Guru,Dixie Meat Rub, MAKE IT MEATY!Shippensburg Beverage Center and D & T Electric. Thank You. barbequekansascity.com = Chop's Power Injectors. Meat Mitch bbq sauce. WHOMP!
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Mark

I think the danger is real but overrated. You first need to understand the hot-dip galvenizing process. Evaporation temperature of zinc varies from 1200 to. 670 K (1700 to 710 deg. F relative to pressure. Attached is a PDF that describes the symptoms

Hot-dip galvanizing
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hot-dip galvanizing is a form of galvanization. It is the process of coating iron or steel with a thin zinc layer, by passing the steel through a molten bath of zinc at a temperature of around 860 °F (460 °C). When exposed to the atmosphere, pure zinc reacts with oxygen to form zinc oxide, which further reacts with carbon dioxide to form zinc carbonate, a dull grey, fairly strong material that stops further corrosion in many circumstances, protecting the steel below from the elements. Galvanized steel is widely used in applications where rust resistance is needed, and can be identified by the crystallization patterning on the surface (often called a "spangle").

The process of hot-dip galvanizing results in a metallurgical bond between zinc and steel with a series of distinct iron-zinc alloys. The resulting coated steel can be used in much the same way as uncoated. Galvanized steel can be welded; however, one must exercise caution around the resulting zinc fumes. Galvanized steel is suitable for high-temperature applications of up to 392 °F (200 °C). Use at temperatures above this level will result in peeling of the zinc at the intermetallic layer. Galvanized sheet steel is commonly used in automotive manufacture to enhance corrosion performance of exterior body panels of some models.

Steel strip can be hot-dip galvanized in a continuous line. Hot-dip galvanized steel strip (also sometimes loosely referred to as galvanized iron) is extensively used for applications requiring the strength of steel and resistance to corrosion. Applications include: roofing and walling, consumer appliances and automotive body parts. One common use is in metal pails. They are also used in most heating and cooling duct systems in buildings

Individual metal articles, such as steel girders or wrought iron gates, can be hot-dip galvanized by a process called batch galvanizing. Other modern techniques have largely replaced hot-dip for these sorts of roles. This includes electrogalvanizing, which deposits the layer of zinc from an aqueous electrolyte by electroplating, forming a thinner and much stronger bond.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.

Last edited by Mark; 10-26-2015 at 10:02 AM..
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzQer View Post
I realize there are issues with Galvanized and heat and putting off a harmfull vapor. So here is my question, for the intake pipe and plugs can this be Galvinazed and also the 2" exhaust I know with all the brothers here someone will know if I will die from eating the food or is it not as big of an issue in the circumstance. Thanks for the input all it is all appreciated.
It's your health! I just wouldn't serve anything to anybody else. If you are willing to take a chance with your health over a couple extra bucks to get the right pipe and fittings thats your perogative. I don't think black pipe is much more expensive.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
AzQer
Full Fledged Farker

I agree I just had access for free to all the Galvanized stuff I needed that was the reason I was asking. I dont mind purchacing the stuff I just had it for free.
SMG Smoker
Treager BBQ100
KCBS CBJ #24174
BBQ Brethren Drum Corp

Old 12-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
Norcoredneck

If you have to you can use muratic acid and it will eat the galvanized coating off. If it is for a UDS parts should omly be about $10-$15. Not worth the hassle.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

Ditto; not worth the hassle, not worth the risk.

Custom Southern Yankee rotisserie trailer towed by the 8-Ball RV
Brinkmann Cimarron, Weber One Touch Gold (22.5), Camp Chef 2 burner stove + Griddle, 10, 16 and 20 qt Dutch ovens, Scottims Pit Grille
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
AzQer
Full Fledged Farker

I agree thanks guys I knew I could count on you to give me the good advice. Much appreciated.
SMG Smoker
Treager BBQ100
KCBS CBJ #24174
BBQ Brethren Drum Corp

Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
Napper
On the road to being a farker

There is really no risk from the zinc in galvanized pipes. You would never get the metal coating hot enough or breath enough to be harmful. Would not hurt the meat if it absorbed a little zinc. You would get a lot more zinc in one Zycam cold pill.

The problem comes form the fact that most zinc used for galvanizing in not very pure and it usually contains large amounts of lead and some possible mercury. These are bad players. They would easily vaporize at almost any temperature and would be VERY harmful if they contaminated the meat. This is the real "Paul Harvey" concerning galvanized metal. Thats why you get conflicting stories about zinc being harmful. We have way TOO much lead in our environment already. (lead solder in your pipes, leaded gas all those years, lead paint,....the list goes on and on. No need to add anymore!

Just play it save and avoid galvanized metal in your cooker. Metal contamination is not like organic contamination. You can burn off organic contamination but not lead contamination. (you cannot "destroy" elemental metals)

I would pay $20 extra just not to have to worry about it!

My $0.02 after reading this discussion for years.
55 gal. drum smokers galore! (All custom built)
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #14
Mark

Good points about impurities in zinc. Especially considering most of this $hit is now made in China.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote