ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Brauma
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 300+ degrees from a Bandera?

I tried my best to run the Bandera over 300* this past wknd and it just wouldnt get that hot. I had the firebox stoked with Rancher to start with. I did a Minion Method first. That brought my temp up to 250 - like it always does. Once those coals got even I started dropping in dried cherry splits. This took me up to 285-290. I never could break 300. So I started a load of lump in the chimney and dropped it in. No good. I had the vents wide open. Beats me. I have a home-made basket by the way.

I was doing a meatloaf and I was trying to cook it at 350. This is the first time I wanted it above 300 so this is a first for me.

All you Bandera owners - can you drive your pit above 300*?

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer or eat crotchpot BBQ"

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Kevin

I don't have a bandera, but my skd is pretty close. High temps are pretty tough for me on that thing, but a grease fire in my Chargriller pegged the thermometer pretty quick.

Unread 09-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Cherry not a hot wood.

I've hit 340 after putting way too much oak in there, and a full chimney of lump

But it wasnt intentional, and I kept the door open 10 minutes to cool it down

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

yup.. u need oak.. or mesquite.

move fire next tpo firebox, and put a shield in the top of the lid to block off the gable and get the heat into the chamber.

I can get 400-450 in mine.. but i think the 80lb 3/8 inch steel lid may help.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
tkuehn5410
Full Fledged Farker

Mine jumps from 250 to 350 really quick when I get a piece of mesquite wood to ignite. I had a terrible time keepin my smoker under 275 last cook I did with it. Also put majority of wood/coals close to opening as well.

Unread 09-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Hard wood. With oak my SKD has peaked over 300. just takes a real good airflow.

When it gets up there it makes a humming noise with all the convection.

What is your altitude? Might make a diff.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
nthole
Babbling Farker

I hit 300 on accident this past weekend. Something I found contradictory to logic (well not really) is that a charcoal basket will not hit higher temps. This is because all the fuel isn't lit. You're much better off to just cook on an expanded metal grate made for the lowest rack level.

A chimney of fuel and some good hard wood (hickory, oak, mesquite) or really really dry fruit wood (I have some 3 year old apple that explodes when put in the firebox).

And like poobah said, if you really want to get the heat up you gotta shrink up the size of the box that you're heating.

But it's definitely possible.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
Brauma

I doubt if I make the firebox lid mod. Unless I make it temporary. My Dera seems to want to chug along at 225-250 naturally. Ofcourse I have to feed it about once an hour but thats the nature of the beast.

This raises another Bandera question: Will the lid mod improve my fuel efficiency? Im sure a lot of heat comes right up out of the top of the firebox.

My plan is to get a BGE for high temp stuff like pizzas and breads.

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Brauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke View Post
What is your altitude? Might make a diff.
Im not sure but its low altitude. Im an East Coaster. Just a 2 hour drive from the ocean.

Unread 09-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma View Post
I doubt if I make the firebox lid mod. Unless I make it temporary. My Dera seems to want to chug along at 225-250 naturally. Ofcourse I have to feed it about once an hour but thats the nature of the beast.

This raises another Bandera question: Will the lid mod improve my fuel efficiency? Im sure a lot of heat comes right up out of the top of the firebox.

My plan is to get a BGE for high temp stuff like pizzas and breads.

Not baggin on ya, but why is it we always complain about cookers holding temp....then when one does we want to push it??????
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
Brauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke View Post
Not baggin on ya, but why is it we always complain about cookers holding temp....then when one does we want to push it??????
Good point. I was just trying to cook a meatloaf and I needed the temp at 350*. I gave it 2 hours in the smoke then finished it off in the oven.

Im happy with my Bandera and how it seems to naturally run at 225-250 but I'll never stop trying a mod here & there to make it better. If it doesnt work I'll take it off.

Unread 09-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

I do chickens all the time at 300 to 325 but I burn all wood. Don't know if that makes a difference. I did the grease fire mod too and it put my temp gauge past 500 real fast!

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
jt
Babbling Farker

I can take it past 300 with oak & apple and a good load of charcoal in it. I don't have a lid shield or a basket. Just a expanded steel grate set just at the level of the smoke chamber opening. All vents wide open.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 10 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #14
Brauma

I love my Bandera. I even love diddling with the fire every hour. Its the pyro in me. In a way I'm glad it doesn't like to run hot. Gives me the excuse to get a BGE.

I think the combination of a Bandera, Weber 22.5" grill, and a BGE will give me the perfect backyard cooking arsenal.

You may have seen my plans for an Outdoor Kitchen. (in Stamped Concrete thread I think) I had drawn in a pizza oven. But after doing some research Ive learned that I can do in a BGE all I wanted to do in a pizza oven. So, I've scratched that part of the project and will put the $ into another area of the kitchen. Maybe soapstone countertops!

Unread 09-06-2007, 08:43 AM   #15
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
I can get 400-450 in mine.. but i think the 80lb 3/8 inch steel lid may help.
Does your friend want to make-up some more of the custom lids. I am in the market for one.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote