oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Default Need Help Making UDS

I'm thinking of making a UDS this winter for the fun of it (and so I can leave it at my parents house and don't have to haul one of mine there).
How is the best way to cut in/out the access door used to add fuel and water?
Also, how do you seal the door so you don't have a lot of air entering through the door?
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Mitch,when I built mine I used a cutoff wheel and rolled a door out of 10 or 12 gauge.Then I used rope gasket to seal it.I used Hi Temp RTV silicone to hold the gasket to the door.I think I have an overlap of 3/4" all the way around.Pic isnt the best but its all I have at the moment.I dont use a water pan but I did weld in angle iron rails an inch up off the floor to slide the charcoal basket in and out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drum cooker 002 (Small).jpg (34.7 KB, 282 views)
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Rub-A-Dub
Full Fledged Farker

Norcoredneck help me out when I was making mine. Drop him a line. He might have some info on it

1 Smoke-N-Pit offset
1 UDS!!
1 Turkey Fryer
1 Homebuilt reverse flow
1 18" Weber
Rub-A-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Mitch, I have made probably a dozen of these and have never cut a door in any of them. I have cooked everything on my UDS that I have on my offset and have never had to add fuel, nor do I use a water pan.
smooookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Send me a PM with email address and I will send info. Thousands of ways to do the same thing. I personally don't put a door in mine or see a need for one. I happen to know where there is a 39 page e-document with tons of info .

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Norco,wait till you get old and fat then you will understand the door

just Cloning around

Old 10-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Mitch, like Smooookin said, you don't need an access door. It is so efficient, you don't need to add fuel...cook anything you want on one load of fuel. Just ask BigMista. You can build this in one day and stoke it up the next for the best Q you ever had. And, you can do this with hand tools without a welder or anything special. It is not a winter project, just a couple of evening or a weekend and you are ready to go. Good luck and keep us posted.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz View Post
Norco,wait till you get old and fat then you will understand the door
I have seen some interesting builds with doors. The main reason I don't recommend it for most is because the reason a UDS type cooker works so well is the fact that it is so air tight. Lots of people that ask how to build them will probably do best keeping it simple. In order for a door to seal it has to be rolled to match the drum curve. The typical person including myself doesn't have that ability at home. I would hate to see someone buy a drum and cut a hole they would not be able to seal up. As far as emptying the ash ask thirdeye to post his Hoe scoop. My opinion it is tons better than lifting and dumping. For those who are wondering if you could do it yourself believe me you can. You don't need a welder to make one. Hope people don't think I feel like an expert at this, I learn everyday by seeing others work and share what I have done. Like I state 1000's of ways to do the same thing.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 PM   #9
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

By the way if any one near me is building one I do have an extra door.When I was settin up the roller (lots of nice toys at work if you treat the boss right)we had some extra pieces.I dont remember who did the one with out wlding but they did a very neat job of it.Was that on Jims site?

just Cloning around

Old 10-31-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Coz, trust me, I really don' think you don't need a door. When you fire it up a few times and see what will work for your smoker, you don't need to add more fuel. The door can cause too much air intake unless it fits perfect. A typical UDS is not perfect...that's what makes it a UDS. A door would make it easier to clean out but that's not a big deal anyway. It sounds crazy but I can get 16 hours burn time easy on about 12-16 lbs of briquets/lump, just depends on your UDS. Some can get even longer burn time. Check the UDS threads for a lot of good info and go for what you think will work...then build what you like...and it will be fantastic. Good luck!!!!!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 11:11 PM   #11
Norcoredneck

You can use conduit nuts on nipples. Real cheap, 6-8 in a bag. Or you can use snap in plugs like the original BDS.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
ewile
Full Fledged Farker

I guess I'll ask this here. I work in a high school and today we got new desks. The custodians took the old desks and removed the wooden top/writing area (think of a classic, one piece high school desk) from the rest of the desk. I think that they were going to recycle the wood somehow. The wood was held on by these metal bracket things. I grabbed 8 of them, thinking that they would be easy to fasten to a barrel (They already have holes for screws) and they would be perfect to rest a cooking grate on.

I guess my question is could these be in any way dangerous to cook on or does this sound like a bad idea for any reason. I could post photos if needed.

It's insane how excited I was when I saw these metal strips. Pretty much made my day.
ewile is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 AM   #13
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewile View Post
I guess I'll ask this here. I work in a high school and today we got new desks. The custodians took the old desks and removed the wooden top/writing area (think of a classic, one piece high school desk) from the rest of the desk. I think that they were going to recycle the wood somehow. The wood was held on by these metal bracket things. I grabbed 8 of them, thinking that they would be easy to fasten to a barrel (They already have holes for screws) and they would be perfect to rest a cooking grate on.

I guess my question is could these be in any way dangerous to cook on or does this sound like a bad idea for any reason. I could post photos if needed.

It's insane how excited I was when I saw these metal strips. Pretty much made my day.
How about side tables? Wood and brackets.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:18 AM   #14
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

are they steel? The reason I ask is for some reason magnesium comes to mind. I would assume once the paint is burnt off it would be fine.
smooookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #15
ewile
Full Fledged Farker

No paint on them at all. Not sure if they are steel. They are soft enough to bend but there is no question that they would hold a cooking grate with meat easily.
ewile is offline   Reply With Quote